Driver problems

gimmeadollr

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
My Captivate used to be able to connect via the Mass Storage option just fine, but no dice on the debugging mode for the SWM. I installed the new drivers, but then it seems that it didn't help the debugging mode.

I then uninstalled some driver or another (this was my very foolish mistake). Now when I connect the device, it has the yellow error sign in the Device Manager. Device status reads "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I've tried updating the driver to the Samsung ones that are found on my computer, but they don't seem to have any effect. It says the error in installing occurs from the device not being able to start.

I've tried uninstalling the error's driver (the thing that shows up in the Device Manager) and restarting the computer. It tries to install the drivers for the Captivate, but it always fails.

So I have no idea what the problem is. At this point, I just want to be able to use mass storage properly.

Windows 7 64bit.

Any help would be much much appreciated.

PS
I also seemed to have messed up one of my external hard drives in uninstalling a USB mass storage device, though I never selected it. Now when I plug it in, its error says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
If anyone happens to know what to do about this, also much appreciated.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My Captivate used to be able to connect via the Mass Storage option just fine, but no dice on the debugging mode for the SWM. I installed the new drivers, but then it seems that it didn't help the debugging mode.

I then uninstalled some driver or another (this was my very foolish mistake). Now when I connect the device, it has the yellow error sign in the Device Manager. Device status reads "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I've tried updating the driver to the Samsung ones that are found on my computer, but they don't seem to have any effect. It says the error in installing occurs from the device not being able to start.

I've tried uninstalling the error's driver (the thing that shows up in the Device Manager) and restarting the computer. It tries to install the drivers for the Captivate, but it always fails.

So I have no idea what the problem is. At this point, I just want to be able to use mass storage properly.

Windows 7 64bit.

Any help would be much much appreciated.

PS
I also seemed to have messed up one of my external hard drives in uninstalling a USB mass storage device, though I never selected it. Now when I plug it in, its error says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
If anyone happens to know what to do about this, also much appreciated.

Code 43.. got this off MS site
Go to Manage(Win 7) > right click caution sign on USB> select disable ... wait ... try again with enable..

gimmeadollr

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Code 43.. got this off MS site
Go to Manage(Win 7) > right click caution sign on USB> select disable ... wait ... try again with enable..

The hard drive comes up as two "Unknown Device"'s, tried this with both, no go. I updated them with the USB Mass Storage Device driver that my other ExtHDD is using (working normally) and now it says Device won't start.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You might want to try removing all that is USB via the Device Manager in Windows, reboot, and let it re-detect everything.

The system restore idea is a better one though :).

gimmeadollr

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site

I can't believe I've never used System Restore before...
I feel like a foolish newb right now, heh

Thanks so much guys, I now know I don't know nearly as much as I thought I did!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

that makes you a wise man, ;)

did it work though? im not sure if system restore works for the drivers aswell

gimmeadollr

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
It worked like a charm, everything is back to the way it was.
The External HDD didn't work the first time, but I unplugged it and tried again. Works like normal!

So yes, it seems it undoes driver changes.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
It worked like a charm, everything is back to the way it was.
The External HDD didn't work the first time, but I unplugged it and tried again. Works like normal!

So yes, it seems it undoes driver changes.

Great now , did this also fix the captivates problem?

gimmeadollr

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep, or at least the Captivate can do Mass Storage now. I would assume that debugging is the same as it was before (not working).

But I don't really mind.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Hey, welcome to the club!

And to answer the next post, yes System Restore does drivers. Very useful tool for people like us :).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear