droid media player issues

mysticlife

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
i dunno how others feel, but the android media player blows. anyway i've gotta weird problem where when i have headphones plugged in, the music player will automatically start playing. I'm usually playing podcasts in mediafly and it can be annoying. To make it stop i just unplug the headphones, which stops the music player, and then plug them back in. Anyway any advice on how to disable the Music Player so it won't accidentally start running? It only happens when the headphones are plugged in.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Do you have the media player icon on your home screen? If so, I find myself accidentally touching the icons that are on the edge of my screen. Most of the time its the search button, or the Admroid Market. Both are on the right edge and when I grab my phone, my hand curls around and touches them once in a while.

Other than that... I'm not sure...

mysticlife

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
yeah it'll pause and unpause in my pocket when the screen is locked. i started thinking that somehow some input was getting through and triggering the media player widget so i removed that and installed tune wiki to see if that would interrupt. It hasn't triggered as often now, but it has a different response. Tunewiki started playing music. normally i would just unplug my headphones to turn off the media player, well that doesn't work with Tunewiki. I had to unlock the phone and pause the music. I hit the back button and instead of going to the home screen it took me to the mediafly interface.
It seems like there might be some weird interplay between the different Media programs.
My hypothesis is that there's a short in the headphone jack (i get static alot too) from the phone being jostled in my pocket so much. The short is somehow causing the Droid to think that my headphones have a player control dongle to start and stop the music.
I think i need to just see if i can get my phone exchanged. I'm hoping i won't have to make an insurance claim :(

beardgod

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had the exact same issue in the car

i dunno how others feel, but the android media player blows. anyway i've gotta weird problem where when i have headphones plugged in, the music player will automatically start playing. I'm usually playing podcasts in mediafly and it can be annoying. To make it stop i just unplug the headphones, which stops the music player, and then plug them back in. Anyway any advice on how to disable the Music Player so it won't accidentally start running? It only happens when the headphones are plugged in.

I use mine to stream Pandora/Slacker in the car through the headset jack. I have recently developed this issue as the headset jack has gotten degraded and "touchy". The constant crackling noise is annoying enough, but oftentimes the jiggling/cutting out causes media player to pop up and the only way I could get it to stop was to taskkill (which sucks b/c it killed Pandora/Slacker etc.). Appears that pulling the headset jack out also kills the player. Any idea how to not have it auto-open upon jack insertion? If I delete the player can I replace it with an outside app that will replace the functions? i note that the media player is the ringtone repository (in fact that is all I have in the player) so I am concerned that discarding it will prevent me from using custom ringtones. Also, the player appears to be entirely non-customizable. Anyone have any luck finding settings for the media player?

@mysticlife: FYI, Verizon just sent me a replacement today for the headphone jack issue, although mine caused a more significant problem...about every other time I would remove the jack leaving the car, the Droid would not recognize the removal and I would not be able to use the phone as a handset, since the Droid was perceiving that I was on an earpiece. Since I typically use S305 bluetooth headphones this is not a big issue, but several times recently I haven't had the bluetooth and I have had to carry out the conversation via speakerphone.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

blashandroid

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
yeah it'll pause and unpause in my pocket when the screen is locked. i started thinking that somehow some input was getting through and triggering the media player widget so i removed that and installed tune wiki to see if that would interrupt. It hasn't triggered as often now, but it has a different response. Tunewiki started playing music. normally i would just unplug my headphones to turn off the media player, well that doesn't work with Tunewiki. I had to unlock the phone and pause the music. I hit the back button and instead of going to the home screen it took me to the mediafly interface.
It seems like there might be some weird interplay between the different Media programs.
My hypothesis is that there's a short in the headphone jack (i get static alot too) from the phone being jostled in my pocket so much. The short is somehow causing the Droid to think that my headphones have a player control dongle to start and stop the music.
I think i need to just see if i can get my phone exchanged. I'm hoping i won't have to make an insurance claim :(

Any resolution to this problem? I'm discovering similar odd behavior with my 2.3.3 DroidX. I agree that it seems to be a combination of conditions leading to the problem (using media player other then the stock Android + possible headphone jack connectivity). As you've mentioned, I hear some static before the device either starts the default music player (despite the fact that I'm already listening to a different song via PowerAMP). And if I'm using a mic'd headset for conversations, the person with whom I'm speaking will let me know they are starting to hear some static. This is followed by call disconnection then the Android music player starts.

I just got this DroidX as a replacement for my first X and it hurts to think I'll have to trade this one in for another replacement. Ugh. Did you have to exchange your device or did you or anyone find a workaround/fix? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjd19891