Dropped my Pixel 2 XL in the pool for 5 seconds and it's ruinned

Ran_2015

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
So long to my Pixel 2 XL and the IP67.

I have owned a SONY XPERIA Z 5 years ago and I used it to take pictures in the pool, in the ocean and it never had any problem. Probably many users did the same thing and eventually SONY warned consumers to NOT do that. But I never had any problem.

This time is different though because I have heard all the warnings of not using an IP67 or IP68 phone in a pool, and the warranty does not cover it in the arrival of water-resistant / waterproof phones in recent years. The IP67/68 does not mean the same thing as their pioneer. Though I saw many Iphone review videos on Youtube showing how submergence in pool water does not ruin the IPhone.

So the other day I was getting out of the swimming pool and took my stuff to the locker room. But my Pixel 2 XL dropped out from my stuff and fell into the pool. This side of the pool is very shallow, around 1 meter I guess, and I quickly took it out of the pool. The whole process took about only 5 seconds.

Then my phone was behaving funny: the google assistant was active all the time. I turned the phone off and waited for hours. Then when I turned if on, the screen is all black though it responded when touching the screen or the finger scanner. I forced rebooting over 20 times and it did not solve the issue.

The 2nd day, this problem is gone. The screen is back on for a few minutes. Then the sceen became grey with spectacular white light bars flashing from one side of the screen to the center of the screen -- very futuristic.

I would expect a 2017 flagship with IP67 rating can survive an accidental submergence in the pool water for a few seconds. Very disappointed.

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I have owned a SONY XPERIA Z 5 years ago and I used it to take pictures in the pool, in the ocean and it never had any problem. Probably many users did the same thing and eventually SONY warned consumers to NOT do that. But I never had any problem.

Glad you got lucky back then.

I would expect a 2017 flagship with IP67 rating can survive an accidental submergence in the pool water for a few seconds. Very disappointed.

There are zero phones, by any OEM, with any rating, that are meant to be in a pool. Here's why: Pools have chlorine, pools have current/waves, devices when tested are not dropped (impact + increased potential for ingress), pools are not room temperature. IP67 and IP68 both are not tested for any of those conditions. They're powered off, then gently placed and tested in room temperature tap water at the desired depth, then removed, dried off and then powered back on. If the phone is still usable (can still make calls, not that it's in perfect condition), it passes.

I'm sorry that happened to your phone :( Have you spoken with Google, is there anything they can do to help? Did you have insurance or their protect plan?

Ran_2015

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I totally understand and agree. The thing is that when these brands are marketing these devices, the impression consumers got is NOT that my phone is safe if I splash water on its surface during a mineral water drinking session. For example, SONY had a CM where they show people taking pictures under water! They then removed it a year later. And all these apple fans were testing their phone in a pool when Apple first launched a water resistant IPhone.

I agree with what you said and believe these manufacturers well ward themselves off any over-promise, legally. Just disappointed. My accident is a common use case in our life and it is 2018.

I have not reached out to google. I have had the screen with other funny problems before and it comes and goes. I just hope after a day or two, maybe it will be back to normal.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
It might be fine in another day to two or three even. Maybe just needs more drying time. I had a non water resistant phone that fell in a creek and worked funky for a month before it straightened itself out.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I totally understand and agree. The thing is that when these brands are marketing these devices, the impression consumers got is NOT that my phone is safe if I splash water on its surface during a mineral water drinking session. For example, SONY had a CM where they show people taking pictures under water! They then removed it a year later. And all these apple fans were testing their phone in a pool when Apple first launched a water resistant IPhone.

I agree with what you said and believe these manufacturers well ward themselves off any over-promise, legally. Just disappointed. My accident is a common use case in our life and it is 2018.

I have not reached out to google. I have had the screen with other funny problems before and it comes and goes. I just hope after a day or two, maybe it will be back to normal.

While I get your frustration -- Marketing VS. actual .. What in life actually goes with the marketing? I can't think of many things I see on TV that are what they say they are. The fine print always tells the truth.

Cars for example -- They show this amazing car and say "Get it at this $$" -- but the one they showed was the spiced up version hence the "*shown with optional equipment" at the bottom of the screen in tiny print... Why? Because they know you will look and go "Oh man all that for $(X) amount?" when really the $ was for the base and the shown model was the spiced up one.

Nicholas CW

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Same thing has happened to my phone. It slid into a small Creek when I was sitting next to it. It was a really smove rock so no drops, just slid right in. The water was clear so I could see the phone just fine. Thinking of the ip-67 rating I didn't walk straight into the water to get it as I didn't want to get my shoes wet. So I took off my shoes and socks rolled up my jeans and shirt sleeves grabbed it out. Would have taken no longer than 30 seconds. Didn't think anything of it. Till I continued my walk and wanted to take a photo and the Google assistant just kept popping up and acting crazy.So I took it out of it's case thinking that was the problem but it kept popping up. When I was eventually able to get the camera to take the photo it came out blurry and that's when I knew I had a bigger issue on my hand so I turned it off. I am definitely not happy about this as I thought the ip-67 rating would have kept it safe especially seeing that I could only roll my jeans up to my calf's, which would have put it in water no deeper than a foot and a half. My girlfriend even has a video of the ordeal not knowing my phone slid in at first till I grabbed it out. Definitely not happy to have it fail under such miniscule conditions.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
If my devices drop in water I immediately dry them off and then put them in a bag of rice for 24 hours which usually does the trick. The rice will asourb all of the moisture in the phone.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, I was more fortunate than you. Dropped my phone into my pool. It's three feet deep, but I was able to catch it before it went to the bottom. Happy to say that I dried it off and it was, and is fine.

Not that I'm going to press my luck, but any other phone I had previously would have been toast.

dj_assbutt

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
Same thing has happened to my phone. It slid into a small Creek when I was sitting next to it. It was a really smove rock so no drops, just slid right in. The water was clear so I could see the phone just fine. Thinking of the ip-67 rating I didn't walk straight into the water to get it as I didn't want to get my shoes wet. So I took off my shoes and socks rolled up my jeans and shirt sleeves grabbed it out. Would have taken no longer than 30 seconds. Didn't think anything of it. Till I continued my walk and wanted to take a photo and the Google assistant just kept popping up and acting crazy.So I took it out of it's case thinking that was the problem but it kept popping up. When I was eventually able to get the camera to take the photo it came out blurry and that's when I knew I had a bigger issue on my hand so I turned it off. I am definitely not happy about this as I thought the ip-67 rating would have kept it safe especially seeing that I could only roll my jeans up to my calf's, which would have put it in water no deeper than a foot and a half. My girlfriend even has a video of the ordeal not knowing my phone slid in at first till I grabbed it out. Definitely not happy to have it fail under such miniscule conditions.

Did you ever get this sorted? Literally the same thing happened to me this weekend and I had to turn off assistant because it's continuously freaking out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere