Dropping lte when placing a phone call

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else having this bug? Whenever I place a phone call my phone drops the lte signal. I am however still connected to hspa. Having been on sprint for the last 8 years this is hardly a deal breaker for me. I am nevertheless considering exchanging the phone for another one without the issue (if there are any left). Am I missing something here!?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

iJITSU

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It's not a bug. LTE for AT&T is data only. When you make a call it does so on the HSPA/HSDPA network and then picks up LTE when done.

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. It still sounds like a bug to me, just one with at& t's network instead of the phone. I am relieved to know my phone is working right though. Thanks again!

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. It still sounds like a bug to me, just one with at& t's network instead of the phone. I am relieved to know my phone is working right though. Thanks again!

It is NOT a bug, or an issue, or anything like that. That's just how LTE works right now. They can only use it for data. The technology to use voice over LTE (VoLTE) has not been implemented yet, not even on Verizon (though Verizon does have test markets up now). AT&T doesn't plan on bringing it to market until 2013:

AT&T Voice over LTE to launch in 2013

Verizon already running Voice-over-LTE trials in two cities, plans national rollout next year

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not talking about making VoLTE calls. I'm not a network engineer but if I'm on a Verizon phone connected to lte, and I make a phone call, the phone does not drop it's connection. You are still able to use lte for data. Now, it's reasonable to assume that the upgrade paths from cdma to VoLTE would differ from gsm. It is, however, definitely an issue. Even if only to consumers who can choose whether they want the greater or the lesser functionality from their prospective carrier.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Could be the way the antennas in the phone function, or the chipset. Does it do the same thing on other LTE phones?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
OP, are you trying to say you're dropping DATA? meaning while on a phone call, you can't browse the web?

live4nyy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not talking about making VoLTE calls. I'm not a network engineer but if I'm on a Verizon phone connected to lte, and I make a phone call, the phone does not drop it's connection. You are still able to use lte for data. Now, it's reasonable to assume that the upgrade paths from cdma to VoLTE would differ from gsm. It is, however, definitely an issue. Even if only to consumers who can choose whether they want the greater or the lesser functionality from their prospective carrier.

Well, I don't know exactly how Verizon is since I don't use them but from what I have read I guess because Verizon phones use two radios (one for CDMA and one for LTE) then it would seem they could handle holding an LTE signal while on a call. But on AT&T, they use a "circuit-switched fallback" with an integrated, single radio. So, since it has to drop back to HSPA(+) for phone calls then the data could not retain the LTE connection.

Reactions: iknownothing

iknownothing

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense. Again it's not really an issue for me personally,I just wanted to make sure my phone wasn't broken. I do very much appreciate all your knowledge on the topic. You've been very helpful. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaylebarts7