Dual Sim Android One OS query

Noobsaibot21

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a Nokia 5.3 and have asked this question on the Nokia forums but might get better info here. This phone runs Android One and is a dual sim phone so I am hoping to use this as both a work and personal phone however, I do not want to have all contacts, phone logs and messages in the one "inbox". I have seen and tried some apps such as Island and Shelter and while these are fine for apps such as Chrome, Teams, Outlook etc... however, I don't seem to be able to clone just the standard dialer, Contacts and messages properly (tells me only admin can do it... and I have enabled device admin for the app). All I'm looking for is:

* Two dialers with separate call logs (one for each sim)
* Two Contacts lists (again separate, again one for each sim)
* Two Messages inboxes for SMS (again, separate and one per sim)
* The means to turn off calls/texts etc.... to and from the work sim after hours

Is the above possible in any way on this particular Android phone? I believe Samsung offer something like this on some of their newer phones so I'm wondering if this just a device manufacturer feature not enabled/configured on the Android OS or what. Or is there a suitable third party app that could do this for me? It sounds so simple that I almost expected it to be a normal thing for dual sim phones but I can't find anyone doing it outside of Samsung (and I really don't want to get a Samsung). I would imagine the creator of such an App could get plenty of cash to develop something offering this.

Any thoughts?

Noobsaibot21

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks, I tried that. Sadly, for the dialer/call log, SMS messages and contact list, I can only share these functions between the two accounts or disable them for the second account. I cannot specify the main account to use sim 1 and the secondary account to use sim 2 (and keep them in separate logs/lists/inboxes)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks, I tried that. Sadly, for the dialer/call log, SMS messages and contact list, I can only share these functions between the two accounts or disable them for the second account. I cannot specify the main account to use sim 1 and the secondary account to use sim 2 (and keep them in separate logs/lists/inboxes)
Hi, welcome to AC!
I think if your phone is dual sim capability and it doesn't have separate message app or dialer for each sim then most likely can't

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have never seen this option. I think pixel phones may have a work mode, or used to, but I haven't seen that on my dual SIM Samsung S10+ or any other dual SIM phone I have owned.

Noobsaibot21

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Looking further, it seems that even samsung's 'Dual messenger' does not allow this for SMS messages - only third party chat apps like whatsapp and the like.

I wonder if this is a technical limitation of the android operating system or if it's simply a case that developers have never bothered to utilize this as a potential feature. I can't be the only one who'd like to avoid having to lug around (and regularly keep charged) both a work phone as well as a personal one.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe