Dull Colors

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So I was reading a lot of reviews on the Xoom and they kept talking about dull colors. So I decided to put it to my own test. iPad and Xoom side by side. Same photographs. Each and every time the Xoom colors looked washed out and the iPad's colors were very vivid and more realistic. I'm kind of bummed about this since I'm a part time photographer as well. Is this something they could fix via software upgrade? It's not a resolution issue since the Xoom is higher.

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have both Devices also, But I think the Xoom looks better. Looks alot more cleaner, edges look nicer. certain things do look better on the ipad, its really bright. If you turn the Xoom brightness up its compares a little better.I dont notice the colors being washed out though. I really wish on devices like this and even phones you could adjust the color, hue, contrast...etc etc....

dieselnyc

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm also a photographer and think the color representations are very nice on the Xoom. I think that the iPad glass is much glossier, not sure if that is making a perceived difference.

IamJAd

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm also a photographer and think the color representations are very nice on the Xoom. I think that the iPad glass is much glossier, not sure if that is making a perceived difference.

Pretty sure they both are using Gorilla Glass, so the gloss should be the same.

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have both Devices also, But I think the Xoom looks better. Looks alot more cleaner, edges look nicer. certain things do look better on the ipad, its really bright. If you turn the Xoom brightness up its compares a little better.I dont notice the colors being washed out though. I really wish on devices like this and even phones you could adjust the color, hue, contrast...etc etc....

I totally agree in that I wish we could adjust the settings. Because ultimately I think that's what's going on. Looking at the Xoom on its own I never thought the colors were off until I compared it to the iPad.

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I definitely think its mostly a color temperature issue. The ipad looks warmer and brighter to me. Ironically google just sent an update out to the Nexus S that addressed a similar concern.

dieselnyc

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I definitely think its mostly a color temperature issue. The ipad looks warmer and brighter to me. Ironically google just sent an update out to the Nexus S that addressed a similar concern.

The thing is I just did a pro shoot and looked at the pics on the Xoom and they were as close to 'true to life' as I could expect. For pro pics I want as close to original as possible in the display reproduction.

XzombieX66

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The thing is I just did a pro shoot and looked at the pics on the Xoom and they were as close to 'true to life' as I could expect. For pro pics I want as close to original as possible in the display reproduction.

I agree, i think pics on the ipad look almost cartooned, or hdr type..

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree, i think pics on the ipad look almost cartooned, or hdr type..

Hmmm.. I'm not sure about that. For me the iPad seems to render the most realistic photos. I played around with the Xoom today and PicSayPro and was able to get the colors nearly identical to the iPad with some tweaking. So in the end it's definitely the color temp/saturation/contrast that is tweaked differently on the Xoom. When I look at the photos on my SLR's screen (granted very small), my Macbook and the iPad they all look the same.

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.. I'm not sure about that. For me the iPad seems to render the most realistic photos. I played around with the Xoom today and PicSayPro and was able to get the colors nearly identical to the iPad with some tweaking. So in the end it's definitely the color temp/saturation/contrast that is tweaked differently on the Xoom. When I look at the photos on my SLR's screen (granted very small), my Macbook and the iPad they all look the same.

You know what? I take that back. I made a big error when comparing photos. The ones on the xoom hadn't been enhanced. When I compared apples to apples, there is still a definite difference but nowhere near what I was seeing. The Xoom's photos actually looked pretty good.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pokkel