Early Upgrade Option: Worked for me.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Upgrade eligible JULY 17th 2012

Alternate upgrade applied to basic phone on June 22nd 2012. Moved up to iphone. Its what my sister wants. SGS3 pitch didn't work.

Rep said upgrades within 1 month get consideration. Probably a grey area here.

Verizon customer since 2001. May have helped.

Good luck.

*edited to reflect iphone, not sgs3.

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yep.. if you ask, they'll usually let you upgrade 1 month early without any issues... especially if you're a long time customer. Other then that... they'll usually charge $30-40 for an early upgrade if its a few months away.

I just upgraded my wife's phone which isn't due for an upgrade until early next year (2013) for $120... but they're giving her $100 for her used refurbished NS4G so it wasn't too bad of a deal.

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi I also got a early upgrade from July 29 to June 18
I told them I have 4 lines and 3 of those lines where upgraded within the last 6 months
this one line is the only one left, said I don't want to lose the unlimited and I will have to move to the new plan, 3 min. later they said OK, I should go into my account and upgrade asap. and I did ordered the Samsung S3

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade is a week sooner than yours and they told me I could upgrade yesterday. I wish I'd known this last week when I $$$

Might not sqeak in before the 28th cut off date for data :/

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade is a week sooner than yours and they told me I could upgrade yesterday. I wish I'd known this last week when I $$$

Might not sqeak in before the 28th cut off date for data :/

WOuld it be possible to buy the cheapest 4g phone. So you can lock in the plan. sign up for data then return after your phone comes in. In theory if your phone came before the return deadline.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
WOuld it be possible to buy the cheapest 4g phone. So you can lock in the plan. sign up for data then return after your phone comes in. In theory if your phone came before the return deadline.

Sure you could do that. But what phone would you use in the mean time?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My early upgrade strategy is tried and true and has worked for me multiple times. I simply ask nicely, and explain my logic. No threats, no complaints, nothing. I ask for an early upgrade and why they ask why, i tell them that i want the device and the arrangement is mutually beneficial. Despite how much they claim to subsidize for phones when signing a contract, the FCC determined the average subsidy cost was $15 per device for carriers. Carriers commit to bulk orders from OEMs which gets them wholesale prices on the device (usually 200-300 cost per phone) then they sell them for MSRP (600ish). That $300 they "subsidize" for you is actually invisible money they never spent to begin with. That said, the benefit to them of signing me into a new 2 year contract, understanding they've recouped their original "subsidy", and it guarantees them 24 extra months of money from me, with no cost to them :D

I buy all my phones at MSRP now and won't sign contracts anymore but that strategy nabbed me a couple phones.

EDIT - i only used this on sprint so with VzW YMMV but the logic is the same.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah they had a $0 4G phone and I thought about that, but they said if you do a return to stock you have to pay a fee, plus the $30 activation x 2 AND the new contract would then start after the 28th and I would lose the unlimited.

At this point I'm riding my contract out and going prepaid.

SSmaster

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What department or phone number did you call when you got the early upgrade? I have spoken with 5 different people and all said the same thing, it is an "iconic" pre-order and they can not process the order for the 2 year contract price.

Hilbe

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
What department or phone number did you call when you got the early upgrade? I have spoken with 5 different people and all said the same thing, it is an "iconic" pre-order and they can not process the order for the 2 year contract price.

I also haven't been able to get it done. I'll be calling telesales tomorrow to see if they can work with me. Maybe if I buy an accessory :p

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I phoned this number 877-873-3278
I read somewhere it is easier to get early upgrade if you have a family plan.
good luck

SSmaster

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I phoned this number 877-873-3278
I read somewhere it is easier to get early upgrade if you have a family plan.
good luck

Trying now, thanks for the number.

They are closed until tomorrow. I already have an approved early upgrade. I'm just having problems with the pre-order upgrade.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

I call 611. And the 1st rep, was never transferred to another department, received permission from her supervisor.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Sure you could do that. But what phone would you use in the mean time?

Currently on basic phone. Used alternate upgrade for my sisters line. Iphone is arriving on Tuesday 6/26. Which gives me 1 day to lock in $30(2gb) data for her line. Better than playing $50(1gb) data on share everything.

SSmaster

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
they kept telling me even though the supervisor would love to order the sgs3 for me, it is impossible and they are not able to do it. Maybe all 5 or 6 people I spoke with today had the same supervisor?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Speak to a supervisor and explain you are not happy with your old phone.. like its too slow or you need a phone that has better battery life and you would really like to upgrade to something newer that's out now and you can't wait.. just focus on getting the early upgrade added to your line... once its added.. then call back or better yet.. pre-order the phone through the Verizons website.

I've noticed that the few times that i had to call about my order.. every rep had problems pre-ordering the phone because its done differently on the system then a phone that would already be out in stores.

Hilbe

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed. 3rd attempt at 877-873-3278, I got a rep willing to help. The supervisor has to do it though. Already got my order confirmation. My upgrade was in late July.

Reactions: SSmaster
Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
they kept telling me even though the supervisor would love to order the sgs3 for me, it is impossible and they are not able to do it. Maybe all 5 or 6 people I spoke with today had the same supervisor?

do the whole expain this...explain that...re explain...reiterate...

Use the 5 no technique before giving up on 1 rep. Don't take no for an answer.

Maybe going into a retail store might help. Retail stores are taking preorders now. per verizon rep a couple days ago.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones