EB01 DeBinged Browser

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, if anyone's interested, I managed to de-Bing the stock browser from the recent EB01 leak. Default search is Google, soft key and address bar searches go to Google and all the Verizon bookmarks are removed.

I didn't check Adrynalyne's cleaned rom to see if his is de-binged too, mostly because I wanted to see if I could figure out how to do it myself. Well, it appears as though I have! Peanuts for the devs, I'm sure, but it's a victory for me! :p

Flash it with Clockwork (or just extract the apk and place it in system/app). And you might want to go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and clear data for the browser. Oh, and if you're using an odexed rom, you can delete the Browser.odex file, since this is deodexed.

I'm including a Clockwork flashable stock browser too in case anything doesn't work with mine.

EB01_Debinged_Browser.zip
EB01_Stock_Browser.zip

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Any word on if the pagination can/will be fixed in the froyo version of the browser? That was the one thing I loved about the good old stock 2.1 browser; any time you loaded/resized a page it would square the text up all pretty like. With the froyo browser from DL30, it looks like trash! Its never paginated/scaled, the margins never snap, basically its a huge pain to read forums or just about any other text heavy web site. Is this EB01 version any better in that regard?

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Any word on if the pagination can/will be fixed in the froyo version of the browser? That was the one thing I loved about the good old stock 2.1 browser; any time you loaded/resized a page it would square the text up all pretty like. With the froyo browser from DL30, it looks like trash! Its never paginated/scaled, the margins never snap, basically its a huge pain to read forums or just about any other text heavy web site. Is this EB01 version any better in that regard?

Did you turn on Auto Fit in the settings?

I did notice it was turned off by default since DL30. Seems to work with it on, although I haven't used it enough to compare to pre-DL30. I agree, though, it is (was) a great feature.

Reactions: joebob2000

djp952

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
No luck for me using the .zip files and clockwork, always ended up with the original Browser.apk and Bing search. I might try manually removing the Browser.apk/.odex files and replacing with your .apk tomorrow :cool: Really appreciate it regardless, I'm sure the mistake is mine!

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
No luck for me using the .zip files and clockwork, always ended up with the original Browser.apk and Bing search. I might try manually removing the Browser.apk/.odex files and replacing with your .apk tomorrow :cool: Really appreciate it regardless, I'm sure the mistake is mine!

Sorry it's not working, my bet is that it's because of your .odex file remaining. If you delete that, then flash this, it should work. I can flash back to stock and it's Bing'ed and bookmarked to hell, flash my modded browser and it's all clear.

Make sure you do the Clear data in settings, and you might also clear cache and dalvic cache in Clockwork just for good measure.

If it totally doesn't work, my apologies. This was my first real success at modifying an apk, and while it's working on my phone, I can't rule out that it might not work on yours. If you want a clockwork file with the stock browser and odex file, just let me know and I'll put one together for 'ya.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Did you turn on Auto Fit in the settings?

I did notice it was turned off by default since DL30. Seems to work with it on, although I haven't used it enough to compare to pre-DL30. I agree, though, it is (was) a great feature.

Good call. I never played much with the settings except the brightness, but sure enough its now off by default (for some reason). Thanks!

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Good call. I never played much with the settings except the brightness, but sure enough its now off by default (for some reason). Thanks!

Cool, glad that was it. Yea, that was the first thing I noticed after going to DL30, and I immediately went looking for settings to re-enable it. To me, it's probably the single best feature of the stock browser, and the main reason I haven't switched to a 3rd party browser.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Cool, glad that was it. Yea, that was the first thing I noticed after going to DL30, and I immediately went looking for settings to re-enable it. To me, it's probably the single best feature of the stock browser, and the main reason I haven't switched to a 3rd party browser.

Yeah i have tried opera and dolphin, just about all the different versions of them, and none seem to do it quite as well as the stock browser. I just cant imagine why that feature would ever be turned off, is it fun to have to scroll around constantly just to read one paragraph?

Pags

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey Chris3D,

Thanks for coming up with this! Just being able to search Google via the address bar is a huge convenience!

I just wanted to let you know, though, that the soft key search button only works when you are using the browser; it will open Bing search when the browser is closed/running in the background.

Other than that it's sweet! Thanks again!!

djp952

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry it's not working, my bet is that it's because of your .odex file remaining. If you delete that, then flash this, it should work. I can flash back to stock and it's Bing'ed and bookmarked to hell, flash my modded browser and it's all clear.

Make sure you do the Clear data in settings, and you might also clear cache and dalvic cache in Clockwork just for good measure.

If it totally doesn't work, my apologies. This was my first real success at modifying an apk, and while it's working on my phone, I can't rule out that it might not work on yours. If you want a clockwork file with the stock browser and odex file, just let me know and I'll put one together for 'ya.

Thank you! I seem to have CWM issues, which I now believe to be the root of the problem. I ask it to do something, and basically ... it doesn't (although it says it did - lol). I made some terrible mistake with DL30 that seems to be persisting on me. DroidXcon suggested re-flashing with the DI01 ODIN to get the best possible deep wipe next time.

This evening I ultimately went with Adrynalyne's Super Clean ROM (via DroidXcon's ODIN, since my CWM is evil), which gave me a fullly de-binged system anyway, but I wanted to chime in to let you know I saw/read/understood your response, but didn't need to try it yet.

Man I love these forums, you guys are so nice and resposive to n00bs like myself. I can't say that about anywhere else at the moment ;)

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey Chris3D,

Thanks for coming up with this! Just being able to search Google via the address bar is a huge convenience!

I just wanted to let you know, though, that the soft key search button only works when you are using the browser; it will open Bing search when the browser is closed/running in the background.

Cool, thanks, glad it's working. Yea, this only effects the soft key search while in the browser, when not in the browser, it's controlled by something else. The other roms (SuperClean, for example) already fix this, but I'll try to figure it out myself for the stock rom, just for the enjoyment of figuring it out!

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
This evening I ultimately went with Adrynalyne's Super Clean ROM (via DroidXcon's ODIN, since my CWM is evil), which gave me a fullly de-binged system anyway, but I wanted to chime in to let you know I saw/read/understood your response, but didn't need to try it yet.

Cool, glad you were ultimately able to get deBinged. Really not sure why some people have problems flashing this with Clockwork, while others have no problems at all. Trying to figure that one out.

nigelengr

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Cool, glad you were ultimately able to get deBinged. Really not sure why some people have problems flashing this with Clockwork, while others have no problems at all. Trying to figure that one out.

Just as another data point for you Chris, I didn't flash this, just removed existing browser.apk and browser.odex from phone and extracted/copied your .apk over. As previously mentioned, no problems.

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey Chris3D,

Mine is the same way but I can't search Google via the address bar. I tried to delete the odex and browser.apk files (after saving them to my desktop) but whenever I reopen root explorer, they're back in there. Have no idea what's going on.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine is the same way but I can't search Google via the address bar. I tried to delete the odex and browser.apk files (after saving them to my desktop) but whenever I reopen root explorer, they're back in there. Have no idea what's going on.

Huh, that's really strange. So do you get any type of confirmation when you delete the file? Are you sure you have the volume mounted read/write (it should say towards the top "Mounted R/W"). I've never heard of files automatically being restored after being deleted. Seems they might not be getting deleted in the first place.

Reactions: iLogikk

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Huh, that's really strange. So do you get any type of confirmation when you delete the file? Are you sure you have the volume mounted read/write (it should say towards the top "Mounted R/W"). I've never heard of files automatically being restored after being deleted. Seems they might not be getting deleted in the first place.
The top says "Mounted as r/w"

When I select delete, a dialog box pops up and asks me to select "ok" or "cancel".

I select ok and the file comes back once I go back in.

This is weird.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The top says "Mounted as r/w"

When I select delete, a dialog box pops up and asks me to select "ok" or "cancel".

I select ok and the file comes back once I go back in.

This is weird.

Really strange!

I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling Root Explorer, and making sure it's been granted root privileges.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll walk you through deleting it through ADB.

Reactions: iLogikk

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Really strange!

I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling Root Explorer, and making sure it's been granted root privileges.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll walk you through deleting it through ADB.
Just deleted and reinstalled. Same thing and I'm sure I gave it Super User privileges this time.