Edge turning off, very unstable

Toby01

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi there.

I've been having this issue for as long as I can remember. My phone often (many times a day) will turn off during use, requiring me to remove the battery and re-insert the battery to get it turned on again. I can't determine why it's happening, though certain apps tend to force it to happen more regularly than others. For instance, using the base camera app almost always results in the phone turning itself off after I've taken a standard photo (often it turns off while focusing, let alone if I dare be so cheeky as to try and use something like the selective focus mode). Other apps, as I've mentioned, cause the same thing more often than others (graphic/colour-heavy app screens, for example) - but it will regularly happen during the use of any app. There's no correlation between specific apps and the phone deciding to turn itself off.

That's not the end of it, however. If I happen to open my phone's cover (I use a Samsung leather case with a swinging door - for want of a better description - which opens and closes) within two or three minutes of having re-inserted the battery the screen will turn on for half a second and then it will go to black again. Cue battery removal, phone turn-on and a several-minute wait to use the phone again. Often it'll only be a few minutes until I'm required to go over the whole lot again.

I thought it may have been the battery - the one that came with the phone would often jump from 40% battery in reserve to 0% in one jump when I opened Snapchat, shortly before it turned itself off and required a charge from 0%. I've since replaced the battery with an aftermarket one - the 40%-to-0% has stopped, but the issue I've described in the first paragraphs persists. I should note I got so sick of the battery dying instantly that I deleted Snapchat (it was un-usable in that condition) and haven't installed it back for several months. Perhaps if I had the app still this issue would have returned, I can only guess. Strangely enough, the sudden turn-offs didn't occur using the old battery. I've sort of replaced one issue with another in my attempt to resolve the problem. But the old one is clearly faulty - I tried it recently to see if it was usable and it would go flat at around 50% battery level.

A friend suggested it may have been the case causing the issue (especially as the phone turned itself off when I opened the cover on start-up, and the cover has connections to the back of the phone) but today I took the cover off and operated the phone cover-less to see if it would fix the issue. No luck. Turned itself off in classic fashion, after only 30 seconds of use.

The phone model number is SM-N915G and the software version is 6.0.1. I updated the software yesterday or the day before, hoping that it might resolve the issue. If anything it seems to be worse now. It might be important to mention that I've not had any issues with turning off while the phone's been plugged into a power source. Not that it doesn't necessarily happened, but I've never experienced it while it's been on charge and I've been using it - if it occurred at the same frequency as it does when not plugged in I'd have surely experienced it at least once before.

I tried a master reset a couple of months ago to see if it would resolve the issue - didn't help at all unfortunately.

I bought the phone on a plan early last year, so it'd be out of warranty by now I assume. Really I should've taken it in a year ago when the issues were around then, but there's not a whole lot that sort of thinking can do to help me now.

I apologise if my first post is a bit long-winded, I hope it's given a pretty clear idea of my issue. I've been a loyal Samsung phone user for years now and this experience has really dampened my feeling toward the quality of their products; it's just been such a frustrating experience.

I hope any of you can help me out, I'd be ever so appreciative of any help.

Many thanks.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well... you certainly did write a lot! Good read though!

What after market battery did you buy? How much was it, and where did you get it?

Many cheaper after market batteries can be very poorly made. So poorly, they can't really supply what the phone needs in terms of voltage/current for an extended amount of time, or during high demand periods. Even if voltage seems ok, current may not be. It's always best to stay with OEM if you can as it's better in the long run. Or, you can buy better known after market batteries like Ankers. I've never used them, but they seem to have decent feedback and referrals here on AC, plus, they have a good return policy if something goes wrong.

From what you wrote, I'm going to guess it just a bad battery. Especially since you say "heavy apps" tend to crash the phone more than others, and while charging or with the original battery, you don't see the issue. Even the case symptom might be because of heavier demand when the phone wakes up. Another issue might be the physical size of this newer battery, or the depth of placement of the battery contacts... perhaps the dimensions are off just enough to cause intermittent contact. You could try placing some folded paper at the bottom of the battery to make sure the battery is making good contact.

Things like a stuck/intermittent power switch can also cause random shut downs, but if you don't see it on charging, more than likely that's not the issue. Also, from what you wrote, it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem with the phone. It could be, but it doesn't sound like it is to me unless it's a battery contact issue.

If you know anyone that has a spare battery you can borrow to test with, you should pursue that path. At least, you'll find out quickly if it's the battery or not.

As for your original battery, it's failure is probably just due to age. However, it could also be due to your own negligence. If you constantly discharge your battery to a low level (lower that perhaps 30%) on a regular basis before charging, you might be responsible for damaging the battery without intention. Get used to topping out the battery when it gets to around 40% and your battery will thank you for it! Along with that, Android absolutely does not like to be forced shut down due to a low battery level. This is only an observation of mine due to how many reported OS corruptions that occur on this forum after it was disclosed that the OP normally lets his battery die or get very low before charging. Not worth it to wait that long before charging. Not worth it to lose data with no recovery!

As for Snapchat, it's one of the most battery sucking-est apps there is! If you absolutely need to have it installed, then at least take the time to force stop the app when not in use.

See if you can borrow a battery to test with.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you confirm that when the phone is turning off, it's actually powering off completely (rather than the screen turning off only)? Do you ever get any notification tones or vibrations after the screen has turned off unexpectedly?

Another thing to try is to reinstall the firmware, in case yours has become corrupt. Use Samsung Smart Switch (SmartSwitch: Install & update or replace firmware), Samsung Kies (http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...amsung-emergency-recovering-samsung-kies.html), or Odin (http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html).

laurrir

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Same problem. Phone was just over a year old. Called Samsung and they fixed it for free. Replaced PBA, LCD, and component. Not sure what some of those are. After getting it back, it worked for a week- till the battery went. Now all is fine. Love samsung- no arguing with them, they just took it back and fixed it, no questions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey