Electronic Frontier Foundation: Binge On is throttling

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep this is what I feared when it was announced. They'd go beyond what they said they'd do. The FCC should jump on them for this.

On that note.. For me I've had binge on disabled on both my lines the day it came out.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Does it not state that the resolution of the videos will be 480p regardless of settings and signal? That right there should've raised a flag even before this 'news' was released.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yep this is what I feared when it was announced. They'd go beyond what they said they'd do. The FCC should jump on them for this.

And they basically called Google/YouTube liars over this.

The only "optimization" going on, as per the EFF, benefits TMO and not the customer. Uncarrier.

Does it not state that the resolution of the videos will be 480p regardless of settings and signal? That right there should've raised a flag even before this 'news' was released.

Yes, but the understanding was that it would come to you at maximum speed available (just downgraded in quality to 480p.) But they're actually also throttling it down to 1.5mbps--even when a service is not a Binge On participant:

The first result of our test confirms that when Binge On is enabled, T-Mobile throttles all HTML5 video streams to around 1.5Mps, even when the phone is capable of downloading at higher speeds, and regardless of whether or not the video provider enrolled in Binge On.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And they basically called Google/YouTube liars over this.

The only "optimization" going on, as per the EFF, benefits TMO and not the customer. Uncarrier.

Yeah it definitely benefits them since they have less bandwidth going around. It'll be interesting to see if they respond. I really hope the FCC gets involved since it shouldn't be doing this.. And some customers would never be the wiser on why their YouTube videos just buffered all the time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That don't work. I turned it off and it still buffers like crazy. All 3 lines - unlimited data.

What's buffering (which service)? I've watched a bunch of xfinity lately (10+ GB in the past 2 days) with no issue. I've had "Binge On" turned off the whole time though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
BingeOn is flawed and John Legere needs to stop defending it | Android Central

You see, Mr. Legere, you are offering a service that is on by default and causes problems with services you aren't partnered with.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere got caught lying by the EFF, and now he’s totally losing it | The Verge

"Part B of my answer is, who the **** are you, anyway, EFF?" Legere said. "Why are you stirring up so much trouble, and who pays you?"

The uncarrier is unhinged.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
"Part B of my answer is, who the **** are you, anyway, EFF?" Legere said. "Why are you stirring up so much trouble, and who pays you?"

Verizon/AT&T/Sprint, obviously. Just like RootMetrics, the FCC, The Verge, BGR, Fierce Wireless, YouTube...

Edit: from Reddit:

Logvin said:
T-Mobile has an internal program that lets us donate a portion of our paychecks to charity and T-Mobile will match that.

Who pays the EFF? You do John, you do.

Last edited:

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
This is a lot of furor over an option that takes a couple of clicks to turn off.

Justifiably so. Most of us didn't turn it on, or ask TMO to do it for us.

And I can speak for myself, I was never informed that my lines were having it turned on automatically. In fact, when BO first came around, I checked my account and the toggle wasn't there for me, so I thought I was somehow "safe" (excluded.) But a few days ago, I happened to check again while paying my bill and yep--there it was.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I generally don't have a speed higher than 20 mb and I'm not having any issues since Binge On. There is no buffering and I haven't noticed a bit of difference.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Justifiably so. Most of us didn't turn it on, or ask TMO to do it for us. And I can speak for myself, I was never informed that my lines were having it turned on automatically.

I watched the announcement, they made it clear that it would be turned on for everyone a week or so after the event... it was pretty well publicized and Legere talked about how the picked 'opt-out' so people would give it a look before disabling it. Had it been 'opt-in' the percentage of people who checked it out would have been extremely small. Maybe a broadcast SMS message or email was warrented (though, I can't really remember if they did that or not to be honest).

The thing is, it didn't turn off. YouTube on all 3 of my family lines buffer YouTube even with the option turned "off".

If that's the case, you are most likely having issues outside of Binge On.... I haven't read of any complaints that it sticks no matter what the setting is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer