Email on the Gear S2

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Are any of you noticing that when you delete an email on your Gear S2, that it also deletes it from your email server? I have a Gear S2 3G on ATT.

If so, anyone know how to delete the emails on the watch only?

Posted via the Android Central App

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
No, deleting notifications (swiping up) does not delete them from the server. What I am talking about is when you go into the email app on the watch and delete the emails from the app, it also deletes them from your email server and other devices. This is BAD.

Reason being is that we only have 1.99 GB of usable space on the Gear S2 and you will have thousands of emails pooling on your phone if you do not clear it out every few days or so. The problem is if you delete them on your watch, they are gone for good on your other devices too! I've had to fetch them from my deleted folder on my Microsoft Outlook to restore them. I have missed important emails because of this.

Keep in mind that I have a Gear S2 3G model on ATT. This may have something to to with numbersync, but it appears to delete them as well when on the 3G/Bluetooth auto mode.

Has anyone else experienced this??

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
This is by design and I personally like it. On the old Gear watches, deleting a message from the watch did nothing, but now I can actually use the watch to "clear" stuff out of my inbox, so next time I pick up my phone I dont' have to see an email I deleted while waiting in line at the supermarket, etc. I suppose Samsung could offer an option to sync - I haven't actually checked settings to see if it's there - but tbh I don't understand your comment about thousands of emails pooling on the phone. Can you elaborate on the problem? I have 1 exchange and 3 IMAP accounts and I have no issues managing email on the phone or the watch.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Yes, this is what I am talking about. Like you, I have multiple email accounts; 1 exchange (work) and two IMAP (personal). If deleting on the watch is in fact by design, then it should be an optional feature to turn on/off. I have checked and this is not currently an option.

Because we only have less than 2GB on the Gear S2 and finding emails can be a bit unruly (no search I feature like on the phone/computer), I like to clear out my emails with a "delete all" every few days or week. I DO NOT want this to delete the emails on my server. I do this at work or on my computer at home where I can choose to delete or archive them.

Hopefully this makes sense. Any other thoughts on this?

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I believe the sync feature works both ways, so perhaps if you use folders to move messages around for archiving (to keep the inbox cleaned up on all devices with only important/current messages), the watch will remove the filed messages from the list (it's not instant, but I deleted a message in Outlook and a few minutes later it wasn't on the watch anymore). So that might be one way to keep things simpler on the watch. I don't think it's designed to be an archive/retrieval platform, at least I would never want to use such a tiny display for that. If I need to look something up, I pull out my phone at that point.

Another "solution" would be to forward all mail from each account to a 4th "watch-only account" that you create somewhere, and sync only that account on the watch, so when you delete messages on the watch only the "disposable" email account gets wiped. This may not be an option depending on security policies for your company/Exchange account (I would imagine most companies would forbid forwarding mail off-server).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles