Email Storage Question

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So I was running out of space on my EVO 4G and I noticed my email app was taking up 64MB of storage (I have no idea why, but I think at one point I synced my sent mail folder which had like 20,000 items in it). I couldn't figure out how to wipe just that one folder, short of actually deleting my sent items that I didn't need, which I didn't have time to do.

So I figured the quick solution would be just to delete the problem account (my Exchange account) and re-add it. But after removing my account, the storage for my email app shot up to over 100MB, which made no sense to me. I waited awhile thinking maybe some system cleanup would eventually take care of it, but it never happened.

So I ended up having to use the "Clear Data" functionality on the app, which erased all my email accounts of course. On the plus side, after re-adding and re-syncing all my email accounts, it's not only using about 5MB, which is better.

Just wondering what would have caused the size to jump that much. I try to keep my email cleaned up (at least the inboxes) but the size of my email app seems to grow to weird proportions.

Any ideas?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The app pulls the entire message, not just the header, and stores it locally. "Deleting" messages in the Email app just moves cached messages from one local folder (Inbox) to another local folder (Trash). So your data will grow until you go to your local Trash folder, select all and delete them.

Clearing the data via the Manage Applications menu clears the locally cached messages in all folders and causes the app to resync the Inbox.

RedRamage

May 18, 2012
Visit site
The first thing I would look for would be emails with attachments. Especially if you send them I suspect they would collect lots of space quickly. Syncing sent emails if a very nice feature to have, but it also means you need to monitor that folder more because I don't think very many people (myself included) do.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Email is stored in a database file. When you removed the account it did not clear the DB, it just removed the account settings and created a new DB for the "new" account. Clearing data in the app clears the DB as well.

Hope this helps.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The app pulls the entire message, not just the header, and stores it locally. "Deleting" messages in the Email app just moves cached messages from one local folder (Inbox) to another local folder (Trash). So your data will grow until you go to your local Trash folder, select all and delete them.

Thanks. I suspect that's the issue then, as I didn't realize that "Trash" was a local folder....I figured it would just sync things back to my "deleted items" folder on the server.

The first thing I would look for would be emails with attachments (which I typically don't do on my phone). Especially if you send them I suspect they would collect lots of space quickly. Syncing sent emails if a very nice feature to have, but it also means you need to monitor that folder more because I don't think very many people (myself included) do.

While I have a lot of emails with attachments, they shouldn't take up any space unless I download the attachments. I don't sync my sent items automatically, but there have been some instances where I needed to (was without my PC and needed to forward a message I had sent). I wasn't sure how to "unsync" it once I did it (if I deleted everything, I didn't want it to sync back to my server).

Email is stored in a database file. When you removed the account it did not clear the DB, it just removed the account settings and created a new DB for the "new" account. Clearing data in the app clears the DB as well.

Thanks. I guess I thought removing the account would remove the DB as well (which is why I waited awhile to see if some "cleanup" would take place after I removed the account).

Anyways, problem solved. I do suspect it was the Trash thing being a local folder. I never even thought of that as I guess I assumed it would just send the mail to my Deleted Items folder on the server. Makes sense though.

Jeremy Sokol

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Can someone give me the path to delete the folder that everyone talks about?

I have over 2.9 gb of mail, and without clearing the whole folder, I am without a way to reduce space taken.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPerl