Emails Deleted on Email Server are auto deleting email on phone...

noder

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been using my 6P now for about 6 weeks and love the phone. I have a new email problem using the Gmail app version 4.3. The App was upgraded this morning and I am now having problems with emails being deleted off my phone. No setting changes were made by me.

From my home computer, I normally access and download email from my ISP using the Mozilla Thunderbird program to my desk PC. I also have my phone set to download those emails to my phone. Once downloaded to my desk PC using Thunderbird, I have the software set to then delete the email from the server. As soon as I complete that download and the email is deleted from the server the same emails previously downloaded into my Nexus 6P will be deleted as well. Before this upgrade, the email would have remained on my phone until I chose to delete it. I am not seeing any setting changes that seem to help with this new problem. I am considering changing to a new email app if I am not able to resolve this.

Thanks,
Don

noder

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I have found a workaround that will resolve this issue. By changing the software settings in the Windows application of Mozilla Thunderbird I was able to leave the files on the server for a specified number of days and t then delete the emails. I think this will allow me to keep a view of the emails on my 6P for that period and to also have the original emails on my laptop as long as I wish to keep them. I still think that something seems to have changed in the google email app since this problem began after an update on February 18th.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
If you change your Gmail account back to IMAP (the default) it will solve your problem. It will also add several other features POP3 can't offer like push email and notifications, sync of folders, email filtering and more.

Or do you have a specific reason for using the outdated POP3 protocol?

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If you change your Gmail account back to IMAP (the default) it will solve your problem. It will also add several other features POP3 can't offer like push email and notifications, sync of folders, email filtering and more.

Or do you have a specific reason for using the outdated POP3 protocol?
Uh, I've been using POP on Gmail for five years and have all of the features above. Doesn't seem "outdated" to me.:)

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You must have been using IMAP. POP3 cannot do push email or instant notifications, cannot sync folders, cannot filter email on the server, etc etc. POP3 is simply incapable of such actions.

IMAP is far advanced over POP3. There's little reason to use POP3 these days when IMAP offers so many advantages to help manage email easily and efficiently.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I hate to get into a p*ssing match here but I don't think you are right. I just logged into my Gmail account and under Settings:
Status: POP is enabled for all mail that has arrived since 7/12/11

I repeat, I have pushed email, instant notifications, synced folders and filtered email on the server,

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Impossible. You must have POP3 enabled, but are using the account as IMAP. Not gonna argue further. Just Google 'POP3 vs IMAP' and 'IMAP IDLE command' and you'll understand.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
OK, I'm really not trying to argue, I'm trying to help you understand your email service. You should know what you're using and how it works. And I agree about highjacking this thread.

Leave mail on the server is about the only option POP3 offers. IMAP can do much more. POP3 cannot:

Sync folders.
Filter email on the server.
Sync multiple computers or devices.
Give instant (push) notifications.
Do immediate (push) email downloads.
Keep all email on the server.
...and more. See:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pop-vs-imap/

...and

http://www.afterlogic.com/kb/articl...new-messages-in-mailbox-imap-idle-and-polling

Note: The IMAP_IDLE command does not provide 'true' push notifications like Gmail or Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, but it does a pretty fair imitation. And it can save battery compared to POP3 polling.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiviwin68