Encrypted SD card

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello and thank you for checking my question.
I have encrypted a micro sd card on my pc using VeraCrypt. It has some sensitive data for my work, and i want to be able to open it using my android phone. I've heard an app called EDS Lite can open encrypted files, but the sd card doesnt seem to come up when i insert it to my phone. Could you tell me how can i make EDS Lite recognize the encrypted sd card?
If im asking this in a wrong place, please guide me to where can i ask this kind of question. Im new to these things and im not sure where can i find help. Thank you!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If you want to use the SD on your phone you have to use the phone to encrypt the card. There may be ways to encrypt individual files and open them on different devices but to use the SD on the phone it had to be encrypted by the phone. And yes this means that you won't be able to put it directly into a PC or card reader without the phone and read it but using a cable the phone can be connected and files accessed through Windows Viewer.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...4&share_fid=4950&share_type=t&link_source=app

Join the Android Central Community!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The whole idea of encryption is that the file is locked by a very secure encryption key. In order for it to be opened, the device opening it would need that key. The only way I can think of where you could open files on different devices would be if you were using some encryption app or service that saved that encryption key to the cloud (which would not be particularly secure).

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Just to clarify, did you use the VeraCrypt utility to encrypt the entire microSD card (media itself is encrypted); or did you create an encrypted container (the card is still just an unaltered FAT32/exFAT file system with the VeraCrypt container stored on it)?
From your posting, it 'sounds' like the former which if so could be the problem. The EDS Lite app will work with things like VeraCrypt containers, but when it involves encrypting the storage media itself, that's something that involves system-level permissions and interactions with the operating system itself. (The issue being, an app your install, like the EDS Lite app, by you and will only have user-level permissions.
Try a) installing the EDS full app ($4) instead of the EDS Lite app, it has more functionality; and b) reformat your microSD card back to its default FAT32 or exFAT file system and use the VeraCrypt utility on your PC to create an encrypted container instead of encrypting the card itself.
If you did initially create a VeraCrypt container, note the free EDS Lite app on your phone won't support 'hidden' Veracrypt containers.
https://sovworks.com/eds/

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennaHoward