End of June for ICS???

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Be patient, owners of the Motorola RAZR and RAZR Maxx. You'll get your ice cream someday ? Ice Cream Sandwich, that is, otherwise known as Android 4.0. But if you can't wait until the end of June to get your hands on the latest update to Google's OS, and you haven't already installed a custom ROM that gives you the "unofficial" benefits of Ice Cream Sandwich, Motorola has a treat in store for you.

The company just released a series of videos today that shows off exactly what Ice Cream Sandwich is going to look like on its two RAZR phones. Spoiler: It's going to be pretty.

First off, an upgraded lock screen allows you to swipe and unlock your way to one of four different elements on the smartphone: the camera, text messaging, the phone itself (dialing-style), or the conventional home screen. It's much more elegant than the previous, ugly lock screen Motorola opted to use, and its usefulness goes one step beyond standard shortcuts for those rocking out on their mobile devices. You can also access your music controls from your lock screen ? a great way to pause, play, or skip tracks without having to waste time first unlocking your smartphone.

Motorola's thrown a new battery icon onto the notification bar of the smartphones' home screens which now uses 13 different individual graphics to show you the percent of phone time you have left. The window indicator sitting at the bottom of the phones' home screens now only appears momentarily, instead of all the time, and the "favorites tray" on the bottom of the screen now uses five icons instead of four ? phone, people, messages, camera, and an "apps button" that pulls up a list of everything that's installed on your device.

But that's not all.

Two new features join the phones' camera app: One gives users the ability to shoot time-lapse photography at intervals anywhere from one second to ten seconds between shots, and the other allows those shooting videos to take quick, simultaneous snapshots of what they're filming.

And, finally, Motorola's waved the white flag on its own customized social networking app. According to the website Mobile & Apps, it seems as if users are being encouraged to go out and grab the various apps for whatever social networks they happen to enjoy: Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, et cetera.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anything compelling in your summary that would make me all hot for ICS. I *have* ICS - on my Asus Transformer Prime. It's nice, but so far I haven't seen any functional problems is version 2 on my Maxx. Everything works, works smoothly, no crashes. Yeah ICS will be nice, but not worth getting too impatient about. Even with just 2.3.6 it's a better phone than the iPhone4 or the BB 9930.

Reactions: Noble_Logistics

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung nexus with ICS. I thought the OS was OK. The phone had so many other software issues it gave me a headache. I was just trying to be helpful with information for other Android users

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: DOOG9517 and 88top

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't see anything compelling in your summary that would make me all hot for ICS. I *have* ICS - on my Asus Transformer Prime. It's nice, but so far I haven't seen any functional problems is version 2 on my Maxx. Everything works, works smoothly, no crashes. Yeah ICS will be nice, but not worth getting too impatient about. Even with just 2.3.6 it's a better phone than the iPhone4 or the BB 9930.

It's not really ICS per se that the OP was summarizing--it was Moto's minor modifications to ICS. They sound pretty cool, but nothing earth-shatteringly different. This is really what we should hope for, because since the Maxx works so well to begin with, we don't necessarily want tectonic shifts in how it works.

The new lock screen sound more convenient. The battery notification means I don't need a 3rd party app to do the same thing, and abandoning Moto's own (useless) social app means one fewer piece of bloatware. And any added feature to the bare bones camera on the Maxx is welcome.

Reactions: D_H and 1fastmr2

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Looks good, but whenever it gets here will be fine..as if there is a choice :)
No question the razr has been the best smartphone I have owned to date. The OS is only one part of that equation. If ics runs as smooth as the current GB version I have now I will be quite happy. If it doesn't, they can take all the time in the world to release it!

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Looks good, but whenever it gets here will be fine..as if there is a choice :)
No question the razr has been the best smartphone I have owned to date. The OS is only one part of that equation. If ics runs as smooth as the current GB version I have now I will be quite happy. If it doesn't, they can take all the time in the world to release it!

I agree I hope it runs smoothly with no issues.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I actually liked Motorola's Social Networking, so it's a bummer if that's leaving. I was hoping the ICS update would help get it working better. Oh well, not a huge loss, but I'll miss the scrolling widget it came with. Otherwise, everything looks great.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I sounded critical. I apologize - truly :) I wasn't being critical of your posting which was interesting. It was more a comment to the people who are even more impatient than I am for ICS - it's not the end of the world if it's delayed. My point is that even with the current OS it's a darn good phone.

I love new tech as much as the next geek. But I'm trying to be rational.

What I REALLY want is a phone like the Razr Maxx with a *WELL SUPPORTED* WebOS as on the HP Touchpad. I love that OS. Android is good. iOS is good. WebOS is awesome. Sadly, it will never happen. The best hope is to see what RIM comes up with. Meanwhile I'm pretty happy with this little guy.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the summary, it looks....interesting. Not much there that pushs my hot button but I'm sure a lot of folks are drooling for the changes. I'm in the camp that I'd much rather keep what is currently working great than change the OS to something with bugs.

If I had my druthers, I wouldn't do the update for sometime and just wait and see how others like it. However, I suspect the update will occur without my knowledge until one day I turn it on and it's "differant".

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You can keep postponing it...up to you. It shouldn't install without your permission.

Chief

Sent using my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2!

Sean1431

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget ics will Aldo make full use of our duel core! The added bonus is the new features!

Reactions: 1fastmr2

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung nexus with ICS. I thought the OS was OK. The phone had so many other software issues it gave me a headache. I was just trying to be helpful with information for other Android users

I was the same way. I had a g nexus and the OS was alright but the tons of bugs that came with the phone made the experience less than great for me. I can wait for ICS on my maxx as it does not really have any issues and hopefully by then they can have most if not all of the bugs worked out. Plus they did say q2 which goes until the end of june so i can see moto and verizon waiting until the last day to release it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the summary, it looks....interesting. Not much there that pushs my hot button but I'm sure a lot of folks are drooling for the changes. I'm in the camp that I'd much rather keep what is currently working great than change the OS to something with bugs.

If I had my druthers, I wouldn't do the update for sometime and just wait and see how others like it. However, I suspect the update will occur without my knowledge until one day I turn it on and it's "differant".

You will have to click accept and install, you can keep postponing it and that may be better if the update is anything like the droid x gb update that ruined a lot of phones but hopefully this will be different.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Its been said in many blogs that ICS for the Razr will be out in June acording to Motorola. Let them take all the time they need I don't want my phone F'ed up because its not ready.

Reactions: Ry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gennenb