Engadget: Samsung Gear S review: an ambitious and painfully flawed smartwatch

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
" Samsung's wearables strategy seems to be: "Throw everything at a wall and see what sticks." In a little over 12 months, the electronics giant has launched six -- yes, six -- different smartwatches, each with its own unique personality. The latest is the Samsung Gear S, and its particular claim to fame might be the most ambitious yet: It's the first Gear watch that lets you make and receive calls from your wrist, no phone required. Yep, the Gear S actually has a 3G modem inside it, along with WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS radios. It's basically a watch that's also a phone. You can even respond to emails using a tiny onscreen keyboard. But, at $350 a pop, can it replace your phone? And more importantly, would you want it to?"

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/01/samsung-gear-s-review/

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I stop caring about reviews. It's the Note all over again.

Posted via the Android Central App

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
These reviews seem to be expecting too much from a watch. .I love mine

Well I understand some of the concerns, but yes people are expecting too much. That's usually happens when something is innovated. Met with resistance. I expect this watch will change the game but will not be met with alot of praises. It's ahead of its time and that's what makes it great. I'm sure Android Wear will follow suit or open APIs so people can develop their own version that will, you guessed it, follow what the Gear S has set forth. If I needed a truly standalone, wouldn't I just need a phone? Lol that s what people are missing. But yes the apps for the most part does need to work more independently from the phone in standalone mode. That I can agree on.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I expect too much from a smart watch too. Thankfully this is the only one out there that fulfils enough of my needs. I love mine too and it's probably even better than I expected it to be tbh

I'm getting the impression that reviewers seem to slate Apple 1st then anything that isn't Android next. I doubt there's many impartial reviewers left

sent from my Galaxy s5

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
"But, at $350 a pop, can it replace your phone? And more importantly, would you want it to?"

To that question I answer an emphatic YES!

By the way, it’s only $299 outright at AT&T and $199 with contract (I ended up getting it for $199 without contract after returning a free $99 headset they threw in because I changed carriers from TMO. ;-)

Some people just don’t need all that “stuff” on a behemoth Smartphone or have any desire for social media monitoring their every move and communication; building profiles to invade their privacy that may not even reflect the person at all. Plus, who wants advertising sent to your phone anyway? No thanks! This beauty meets “my” basic phone needs in a compact wearable package with a wonderful 2” screen right on my wrist.

It’s the NEW Samsung S9110 the way I use it (originally launched in November 2009 and one rare phone to be had – just try to buy one). Yes, Samsung has been at this form factor for a l-o-n-g time. And the author thinks the Gear S is expensive? Lol… :-$

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Love is love but for the reviewers they are g o ing by what samsung said the watch can do. If you check out all the post on this forum you can see a lot of what samsung calmed is not happening. Samsung don't do their products justice because they don't promote them like apple will.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Love is love but for the reviewers they are g o ing by what samsung said the watch can do. If you check out all the post on this forum you can see a lot of what samsung calmed is not happening. Samsung don't do their products justice because they don't promote them like apple will.

Say whaaaaaaaaatttttttt? :D

Samsung doing good by me.. I got lock grin, been on every since I had my Gear S! :D

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I got mine also lol. Only thing pissing me off is my text messages are not pushing to the watch.

Mine are going to my watch, and trust me, I am a layman/newbie.. Ask around, somebody will tell you how to do it. I am getting all my text that come to my phone on my watch, plus I can text back from the watch..

Come on, get that lock grin on!! :D :D

Last edited:

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine are going to my watch, and trust me, I am a layman/newbie.. Ask around, somebody will tell you how to do it. I am getting all my text that come to my phone on my watch, plus I can text back from the watch..

Come on, get that lock grin on!! :D :D

I'm all good now it was the gear manager software it was the problem. It kept unchecking the message box.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
does anyone really care what reviewers think anymore?

to them, if its not Apple, its not "innovative"...yuck

We need to. Well not need to, but their reviews should be just as important as user's review on products. I actually care more about users experience now a days as the bias in journalism sucks.

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

The sad part is I bought mine from t-mobile on Black Friday and the rep didn't even know how to insert the sim card I had to walk him through the whole process. I said I can see you guy's had no training he said none and he told me another rep damaged a watch while putting in the sim card.

Jim Buono

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm all good now it was the gear manager software it was the problem. It kept unchecking the message box.

I'm not trying to be a **** (well.... maybe I am) but really? The software was the problem? Or was the user the problem? Oftentimes we blame the reviewers for producing an inaccurate review because they spin their personal bias against the device into the review. We shouldn't do it to ourselves.

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to be a **** (well.... maybe I am) but really? The software was the problem? Or was the user the problem? Oftentimes we blame the reviewers for producing an inaccurate review because they spin their personal bias against the device into the review. We shouldn't do it to ourselves.

Nah it was the software let's be clear on that. Update didn't go through like it should have.

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it matters!! Most of us have read the lame Engaget review of the Gear S, and many of us have aggressively responded to it via comments. Well, congrats to us all because our comments were so forceful and numerous that the following article was posted simply to point out how actual Gear S users felt about the product. Personally, I've never seen an article that's more about the critical comments to a review, than the actual review itself. Poor Samsung Gear S review slated by users | Product Reviews Net

Made me feel good, anyway.

Btw, "Slated" means to criticize severely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Washand