Epic problems on my Epic

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's a list of my current problems. Wanted to check here before I go into Sprint raging...

1 -- It has, in the last 2 days, decided that it wants to shut off at random times, with PLENTY of battery life remaining, and not reboot. This could mean that I might miss calls (as this is my only phone at home) or worse yet, not wake up for work tomorrow.

2 -- When I restart it from above problem, it gives me only two of the affixed icons at the bottom of the screen, takes about 10-15 mins for all my apps to show up in the screen, and they arent organized in any way shape or form anymore.

3 -- Charging the phone with the USB cord that came with the phone renders the touchscreen completely useless.

4 -- Occasionally, when trying to unlock the screen, the backlight/any part of the screen will NOT turn on, and just the keyboard will light up. Only way to fix it? Good ol fashion battery pull. then after the 20 min reboot, scans, and other misc crap it goes thru, we're back in business until another problem happens.

At this point I am ready to throw it at something or just wait until the IPhone comes to Sprint.

Any suggestions? Also, i did a virus scan on the phone just in case, and nothing turned up.

Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I agree with dtm, if your stock and your getting these results that is no way near normal. I think I see a refurb in your future ;)

tp72

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I am having a similar problem. This morning after exiting my text convo my phone flashed and now on the bottom bar I only have the Applications icon. When I looked in Applications everything is all jumbled up. I'm going to the Sprint store in the morning.

I haven't had any problems with my phone the whole year that I've had it until the last couple of weeks. le sigh.

Last edited:

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I am having a similar problem. This morning after exiting my text convo my phone flashed and now on the bottom bar I only have the Applications icon. When I looked in Applicaations everything is all jumbled up. I'm going to the Spring store in the morning.

I haven't had any problems with my phone the whole year that I've had it until the last couple of weeks. le sigh.

I would suggest that you and the OP try a factory reset (hard reset) to dump the phone memory. Sprint will do this first thing. If the factory reset fixes it, they'll give the phone back to you.....

Reactions: tp72

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest that you and the OP try a factory reset (hard reset) to dump the phone memory. Sprint will do this first thing. If the factory reset fixes it, they'll give the phone back to you.....

Hate to say it, but my wife was having similar issues and they factory reset and it's been fine since (with those symtoms at least). They did open it to fix screen cable issue and the antenna seems to be acting up now. But that is seperate.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I hate the factory reset option. I know its what is recommended and 99% of the time solves the problem at the moment but a good portion of the time the problem or problems end up coming back.

Its a cheap way out in my opinion, but its what you have to do...

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have reset my phone completely from scratch, and It is still shutting off at random. Hence why I was late for work today, hahah.

Aside from that, I did talk to sprint, and they did some behind the scenes crap, and then asked me to pull the battery and wait. Still doing it, and no end in sight.

he did say that because I have the TEP on it, i can have it looked at for free, and if worse comes to worse, I would pay 50-100 for a refurb phone. Dumb, I think. Half tempted to wait till the Iphone comes to Sprint O:)

Thanks for the help everyone.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I had weird problems with the backlight and the keyboard on my Epic when I had the screen and keyboard light timeout set to the same time. The problem quit when I set the keyboard light timeout to less than the screen timeout.

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If you have TEP then they should replace it with a refurb at no cost to you.

I wish that were the case, but according to the sprint rep I talked to, its gonna cost me 50-100 for it. Stupid, if you ask me. What do I pay 7 bucks a month for then? He says to me "well yeah but its cheaper then replacing it altogether." True, but why pay 50-100 for a REFURB.

dumb.

anyways, aside from my whining.... lol

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
he did say that because I have the TEP on it, i can have it looked at for free, and if worse comes to worse, I would pay 50-100 for a refurb phone. Dumb, I think. Half tempted to wait till the Iphone comes to Sprint O:)

try and negotiate for a GSII - maybe they will offer you a deal if you work it.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wish that were the case, but according to the sprint rep I talked to, its gonna cost me 50-100 for it. Stupid, if you ask me. What do I pay 7 bucks a month for then? He says to me "well yeah but its cheaper then replacing it altogether." True, but why pay 50-100 for a REFURB.

dumb.

anyways, aside from my whining.... lol

Oh @#$% NO.
I would find a different rep to talk to. If you have TEP, you only have to pay for a refurb if it's water damaged (they will be quick to tell you if it was,if they didn't blame it on water already they probably aren't going to), or if it's been lost/stolen. If it's just not working right, and you bring it in, they are supposed to replace it. You may also get a better result if you call sprint's tech support during normal daytime hours. Let them know you did the factory reset and it's still doing it. They will more likely than not ship you your replacement, you ship the broken one back in the provided envelope.

jimweda

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I hd been going back and forth with Sprint since Aug 12, 2011 when I first upgraded my phone. 3 exchanges and still their own unique issues. New to android and smartphones I finally did my own research and found places like this and did my own fixes. Anyway I tried the GSII option since my phone was about 30 days old but they would only do the Nexus So or HTC Evo 4g. So they won't budge even if your phone isn't a old.

Jim

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh @#$% NO.
I would find a different rep to talk to. If you have TEP, you only have to pay for a refurb if it's water damaged (they will be quick to tell you if it was,if they didn't blame it on water already they probably aren't going to), or if it's been lost/stolen. If it's just not working right, and you bring it in, they are supposed to replace it. You may also get a better result if you call sprint's tech support during normal daytime hours. Let them know you did the factory reset and it's still doing it. They will more likely than not ship you your replacement, you ship the broken one back in the provided envelope.

THANK YOU!
My thoughts exactly. I definitely know its not water damaged, and there isnt a scratch on it, so its nothing I caused, so why would I have to pay for it. So I will be putting my foot down about that when I go in to have it looked at.

Thanks for the back up on that one ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692