Ever wondered how dirty that M7 BoomSound speaker grille is?

jfailing

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I read a thread the other night on using a toothbrush to clean out dust from the speaker grille on the M7, and tried it with moderate success.

This is actually kinda gross, but....

At work, where I have a 32x microscope at my disposal, I peeped at the little holes in the grille and realized how clogged they were with [yes, gross] all sorts of dust and dead skin from holding the phone up to my head for the past year and a half...

I'm trying to figure out if there's any possible way to thoroughly clean all the waxy buildup in the grille... I took a single bristle off of a medium-hard toothbrush and tried cleaning the holes, but it really only just packs them in there deeper.

I have sort of a crappy microscope camera, but here's a pic of the gunk:

Gross HTC One speaker grille.jpg

Any ideas?

Moral of the story - it's not always a good idea to look at things under the microscope sometimes......... :p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think I see a budding civilization in there ... ;)

Have you tried using a can of compressed air?

jfailing

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried taking a bristle off of a medium-hard toothbrush and individually cleaning out the holes... It was extremely time consuming and really only just packed it in there deeper.

Since the buildup is sorta ear-waxy (yeah gross I know), I'm going to take a cue-tip and very lightly apply some rubbing alcohol to the grille. My hope is that it will dry out the waxy-buildup in the grille so I can use some compressed air to blow it out.

Will update whether or not this works... It's seriously going to be so satisfying if it works!

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
the only question is whether it'll improve the sound.
i feel the volume of my speakers is pretty low.
but i ain't really convinced it has anything to do with that dirt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobi1k