Evo 4g unrooting help

rj107

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Morning,

I'm new to the rooting and unrooting procedures. I bought my phone rooted from a freind and until recently its been having hardware issues that are not being caused by the os. I can make the phone do whatever is needed with enough time just need the correct instructions and files...

I'm not sure exactly what is needed but what i'm currently running 2.6.37.6-cyanogenmod-g8913be8shade or Cyanogenmod-7.1.0. Recovery mode is Build RA-Supersonic-v3.11.gnm and bootloader.

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-0.93.000
MICROP-041F
TOUCH PANEL ATMEL224_16AB
RADIO 2.15.00.00.05.02
JUL 23 2010,16:41:47

With all that information being said I'm not really sure which instructions to follow whether using revolutionary or unrevoked. And what files i need to download specifically.

I know how to flash new roms and that i need a pc36img.zip to reset the bootloader and the os currently installed.

I need to take my phone to sprint and most likley get a new phone or warranty it so i need to return it back to sprints roms and S-ON.

Thanks for any help in advance.

RJ

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll try and make it as easy as I can for you ;).

1. Boot into Recovery
  2. Flash this radio: EVO_Radio_2.15.00.11.19.zip. Make sure you reboot the device when asked, and do not remove the battery while flashing!
  3. Once the device reboots into recovery, flash this: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip. That will enable NAND security (S-ON).
  4. Rename this file: Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service to PC36IMG.zip, and flash in Bootloader. That'll update you to the latest stock ROM version that is rootable with Revolutionary.

If they're going to fix your device, don't let them update it to the latest OTA - that'll make it way more difficult to re-root.

Reactions: rj107

rj107

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Those files worked. Will that rom leave any marks that it was rooted before or anything? I formatted my sd card and did a complete wipe after it finished to make sure nothing stuck from the previous rom.

Thanks again for your help.

RJ

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Those files worked. Will that rom leave any marks that it was rooted before or anything? I formatted my sd card and did a complete wipe after it finished to make sure nothing stuck from the previous rom.

Thanks again for your help.

RJ
That is a stock ROM. It will clean up any sign of root.

mcook1670

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
my evo is stuck at the white boot screen. I've tried to do a restore and it fails, tried wiping everything and reflashing no joy. I've tried unrooting it and when I flash the unrevoked file i get an error unsupported radio version and error in unrevoked (status 42). I have revovery but nothing is working, any ideas?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
my evo is stuck at the white boot screen. I've tried to do a restore and it fails, tried wiping everything and reflashing no joy. I've tried unrooting it and when I flash the unrevoked file i get an error unsupported radio version and error in unrevoked (status 42). I have revovery but nothing is working, any ideas?
You can only flash the unrevoked S-ON file with a supported radio, which I linked above. Try following the steps I outlined. Note that this will only work if you're using RA-supersonic recovery.

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I did everything you directed. I am using Amon Ra, flashed the radios, and then the S-ON tools. Powered down went to bootloader and it looked like it was loading the PC36IMG.zip file and then finished. Then when I rebooted, it took me back to my custom rom. Any help or ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I used the RUU method that was stickied, and it worked like a charm.

Last edited:

Jamdeeper21

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
while attempting to un root my phone this way, it updated everything in boot loader with an "OK" except in "BOOT" it says "Fail-PU" and then says partition update fail!
Update fail!
Reboot now?

i rebooted and it went to white htc screen, then to the update hd logo screen then off to the white screen again. now its stuck. i followed your steps exactly.

what now?

EDIT: i rebooted again and it said the battery was too low. so i plugged it in and rebooted again it booted to the update hard drive screen then popped to the screen of the red triangle with exclamation point.. :((

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
while attempting to un root my phone this way, it updated everything in boot loader with an "OK" except in "BOOT" it says "Fail-PU" and then says partition update fail!
Update fail!
Reboot now?

i rebooted and it went to white htc screen, then to the update hd logo screen then off to the white screen again. now its stuck. i followed your steps exactly.

what now?

EDIT: i rebooted again and it said the battery was too low. so i plugged it in and rebooted again it booted to the update hard drive screen then popped to the screen of the red triangle with exclamation point.. :((
Let it charge for a while and try again. It's a safety feature that it won't let you run things through the bootloader with a low battery so you don't end up with a brick.