Experience with Sense 4.0

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
First this

[NOTE]Running a port of a leak from a different phone.[/NOTE]​

The ROM I'm using as my base for this is a port of a leak from the new One V. It's surprisingly stable and smooth. One major thing not working right now is the camera. I wanted to get a feel for Sense 4.0, though, so I was willing to do without that for now.

Here's the About Phone page:

Screenshot_2012-03-19-01-34-47.png

Sense 4.0 on top of ICS 4.0.3. Prior to this I was running AOSPX, which is an AOSP build of ICS. The differences are noticeable in quite a few areas.

Sorry I don't have screenshots from AOSPX. If enough of you want them I can restore it and add them at a later date.

The Lock Screen

Screenshot_2012-03-19-00-27-45.png

Pretty much exactly like Sense 3.X. Drag the ring up to the app you want to open. Not working like it's supposed to in this ROM, but if you've seen it on Sense 3.X you know what you're getting here. For comparison the stock lockscreen slides to either the left to open the camera or the right to unlock the phone. I'm not sure if it's phone specific, but Face unlock is not available as an option. The Inspire lacks a FFC, so this isn't really a surprise. I'm not sure that means it's won't be in the new phones that have a FFC or not, just wanted to mention it.

The Sense Clock Widget, Dock, and Homescreens

Screenshot_2012-03-19-00-27-55.png

It's there. it's nice looking. Ok, really nice looking IMHO. Definitely looks a little more minimalist in design. HTC "themed" the stock ICS dock. You can put any app you want there now, which is a definite improvement over Sense 3.X.

The App Drawer

Screenshot_2012-03-19-00-28-16.png

Just like in stock ICS it scrolls from left to right. One thing missing is the ability to scroll and see the widgets in the app drawer. I can't decide if I like that or not, but it hasn't bothered me yet. One nice touch are the tabs at the bottom for frequently used and downloaded apps. It's a quick and easy way to get to the apps you use the most. Folders are done like in stock ICS, just drag one app on top of another.

Adding widgets are done the old fashioned way. Long press on an empty part any homescreen.

Screenshot_2012-03-19-00-30-42.png

Taking a page from Samsung and the way they do it in Touchwiz 4.0, you get a list of your widgets with thumbnails of your homescreens above. Press and drag the widget you want to the homescreen you want and there it is. You can set up as many widgets at a time that you want. This is a nice feature. Much better than adding one widget at a time.

The People App

Screenshot_2012-03-19-00-29-49.png

It feels like Sense, but with a new ICS style design. Tabs along the bottom give you quick access to groups and call history, and a drop down menu at the top lets you view your contacts by account (twitter, facebook, google, etc). Yes, you can sync Facebook contacts into the People app.

Those are my quick thoughts on Sense 4.0. My first Android phone was an Evo 4G. I didn't hate Sense then, and I don't hate it now. I think HTC has done a lot right, and if you've been a Sense hater give this new version a try first.

[NOTE]The version of Sense that the Desire HD/Inspire 4G is getting is supposedly not 4.0, but a mish mash of features from 3.X and 4.0. Some of this won't apply to the official version we get.[/NOTE]​

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Great job giving us information on your experience with sense 4.0. I'm looking forward to the one x and I am Going to try the rom when its available for a g2 I have as back up. I am using ics on my vivid and I am really liking it. Its sense 3.6 but i can only imagine how good 4.0 will be. Thanks again for the awesome info and break down.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Kevin, keep posting here. You're also providing good introductory training for those of us slated to get ICS/Sense 4 updates to our phones. Of course, your perspective and reactions are valuable too (e.g. "this is cool" "this sucks").

Uh, Saenz, did you get the recent ICS update for your Vivid (AT&T) and it only has Sense 3.6? Bad omen.....

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No problem guys.

ChromeJob: Yes the Vivid is only Sense 3.6. HTC has stated this is because they don't want to break the user experience too much from people coming from Sense 3.x. So they made kind of a hybrid between old Sense and Sense 4.0.

IMHO HTC hit the mark with Sense 4.0 for the vast majority of users. The geeks (a lot of us here) will still want AOSP with fast updates, but some of the changes are welcome. They help make the phone a little easier to use in some places without weighing the phone down a tremendous amount.

Jimbizzzale

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I was talking with one of the HTC reps about the one x and at first I was sad to see the weather animations go but sense 4.0 sounds and looks clean. Its clear HTC is working diligently on creating a more smooth sense experience that everyone can enjoy lag free.

All I can say is I am getting the HTC one X launch day, I love HTC to death and I have no interest in going back to Samsung even though you can remove the battery on the galaxy nexus.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. The only thing I don't like is the clock. It looks like all of the market clocks trying to replicate the sense clock which is imo by far the best I've seen. I realize they need to update, bit simpler does not always mean better with appearance.

Other than that it looks like a solid step in the right direction. I hope that a Rom can be adapted for the rezound. I think it hinges on a work around for the integrated camera software on 4.0 as well as other hardware integration type things sadly.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this. The only thing I don't like is the clock. It looks like all of the market clocks trying to replicate the sense clock which is imo by far the best I've seen. I realize they need to update, bit simpler does not always mean better with appearance.

Other than that it looks like a solid step in the right direction. I hope that a Rom can be adapted for the rezound. I think it hinges on a work around for the integrated camera software on 4.0 as well as other hardware integration type things sadly.

I've also heard that ImageSense has a lot to do with why existing phones get Sense 3.6 and not Sense 4.0. It makes sense, because a lot of what they're doing with the camera software has to be integrated into the framework, especially since a lot of the camera stuff has its own separate chip (if my understanding of it was correct anyway).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Kevin,

Does Sense 4.0 work in landscape mode on the lock screen or Homescreen ?

Thanks

Si

On the rom I used it didn't. Honestly I didn't really check for that, though. I will flash back later today and check.

It's not a feature I'm overly concerned with, but I'll check for you.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Reactions: BigladUK#AC

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if there is a way to turn on the "All Apps" text on the launch bar? I've seen a few screenshots that include it, and some that don't in 4.0.

What about in Sense 3.6? My mom could use that, but it is redundant for me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
HTC needs to hire some decent designers. Even though they improved it, too much visual noise is still present in Sense. Compared to the clean minimalism of ICS it just looks too busy.

I like all the added features Sense has but I wish it looked modern. In an effort to distinguish itself, it just manages to look dated.