Extended battery door doesn't fit quite right?

shirokuro

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I purchased the extended battery from a Verizon store yesterday (got the $25 deal, yay!) and whilst the battery itself seems fine so far, the battery door which comes with it doesn't seem to fit quite right.

The first door I got was slightly scratched on the left-hand (USB/HDMI) side of the phone (the rubber coating was slightly worn away) and on the right-hand side of the phone, below the volume buttons, it would never click quite right into place. Whilst I could make the door click into place, it would easily just pop out again. All the other "click points" on the phone were fine, the door was extremely snug everywhere else.

I returned the battery and door for a replacement, and the replacement door has no scratches on it, but on the right of the phone, in the same place as before, it still doesn't fit quite right. It is more snug than the previous door, and does click in further, however there's still a tiny amount of give - and a creak when I lightly push it there.

The standard battery door does not do this at all, it is perfectly snug all the way around the phone, so I don't think it's a problem with my phone.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm just wondering if I'm very unlucky (or perhaps too picky) and if it's worth taking the battery and door for another replacement - or maybe all the extended battery doors are like this?

BTW it's also not an issue with the battery being improperly seated - the extended door behaves the same even with the standard battery - or no battery at all - installed in the phone.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Craig

LNJKD

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine creaks as well. It annoys me. Is it possible to get just a new door or do i have to exchange the whole battery and door combo?

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Same issue here. It's quite annoying. Since it gives a little (making a creaking sound) eventually I might try inserting some rigid 'filler' of some kind between the battery and cover to keep the cover from flexing in. Unfortunately the cover is quite difficult to remove. I have to use a plastic card to help pry it off. I really miss the door design on the X (although many people had issues with it)

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
My standard cover wouldn't snap on when I first received my Bionic. When I took a closer look, there were two pieces of plastic that were sticking out on the cover, maybe from the molding process, that I had to trim off to allow the cover to snap on. It was in the area of the HDMI / USB ports. You may want to check for that.

IRSmurf

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine fits perfectly. I can only make it creek by pushing hard near the seven o'clock position. Actually, it only did that once... I can't make mine creek anymore.

Update: I think I found a creek. When holding the phone with my left hand, putting my ring and middle fingers on the battery door beneath the volume rocker, I did get a little tiny creek. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't focussing on it. Probably not what you're experiencing. I'll trade you my perfect extended battery cover for $100. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I had run across a video that provided a cheap fix using electrical tape on the inside of the cover. I found placing the tape where the video showed didn't work for me. I had to experiment with locations and thicknesses but mine feels quite tight and creak free.

wgroche

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine creaks as well! It can be really annoying. I generally hold the phone in my left hand with my fingers below the volume button when in a call and thats when I notice it the most.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way that someone can post pics of the extended battery?

Being that the car dock, lapdock, and desktop dock all fit with the extended battery (unlike my Thunderbolt!) I'm considering one. I would need to order it online though and want a better understanding of how it changes the size of the phone before I order it.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
DanH - There's a quick write-up with a few pictures of them here on this website, but I'm new and can't add links until I have a post, so I'll have to post again right after this one. Regarding size, the fatter portion adds about 2mm when compared to the area at the top.

As for the OP, mine does it too. I think it's a fairly common problem, but not one that bugs me enough to go try and find one that fits perfectly.

ETA: I tried the electrical tape trick. Two layers in the middle of the creaking area made it nice and tight. No flexing or creaking now. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

captmike

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have experience with this also

Purchased the extended battery with the cover and also noticed that the right side (while viewing the phone) just below the volume buttons, of the cover does not fit correctly. It has a bit of a "give" as the cover is just a bit warped that just might be a molding problem when they were manufactured. I requested a replacement cover and when it was received I removed the old cover and replaced it with that replacement cover and it has exactly the same problem.

Just an annoyance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton