External battery backup

primetime34

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for an external battery backup for the Nexus 7 so I can charge it on a long international flight. Any suggestions?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

The N7 can and will charge at lower rates, albeit more slowly. The amperage is certainly worth considering when buying a portable charger, though, and unless there's a huge price difference, not getting a 2a would probably be silly.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've tried both the 5200ma and 8400ma Powergen packs, they work fine with both the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Nexus.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at this from pack from Newtrent.

Apple the new iPad Battery Pack - iPhone Battery Extender IMP1000 | NewTrent.com

They focus on the iPhone/iPad market but this one shows as compatible with the Nexus 7

I've had a battery case and an external pack from Newtrent for a couple of years. Both still work very well for my old iPhone 3gs.

I emailed them directly to see which models they could confirm with the Nexus 7 since it wasn't all clear on the site. Here's their response:

Aug 09 17:36 (PDT):
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your interest in our products. We wish to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

For the Google Nexus 7, I would recommend either the iCarrier IMP120D, iCruiser IMP1000, or the iGeek IMP99D. These three have a special adapter that is included that will make your Nexus compatible with our chargers.

Your satisfaction is our #1 goal, for further questions or comments feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
Larry
Customer Support

These are 12000, 11000, and 9900 mAh backups respectively, starting from about $62, with even the smallest having more than 2x the capacity of the built-in battery. That's a lot of reserve power, and they don't look to be too large.

Seo Boby

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Most recommendations made on the above posts are two years old.

Any newer, better packs out there...?

Some of the above mentioned can be had relatively cheap - older models, or just lesser performance?

My interest is to get enough supplemental juice for a day in the field, with intermittent use of GPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc