FAQ: What Android build should I have for Project Fi? (Repost from G+ & Reddit)

clairez1

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to: stusix-itonefoureight unmla; ogAOLhax0r (original post) and others

stusix-itonefoureight unmla
News - 10:28 AM

Private G+ For Fi Users

FAQ: What Android build should I have for Project Fi?

It is a shame that we non-invitees cannot have at least read access to this valuable resource. Access to this resource would answer many questions that go unanswered or mis-answered. I found this on Reddit:

Found this after someone said there is a private, invite only G+ for Fi users. This is kind of discouraging. Seems others are too. Anyone got any more info?
FAQ: What Android build should I have for Project Fi?
[UPDATED 5/28: The Android M developer preview is not a supported Android build for Project Fi. More details: https://goo.gl/pS0HXs]
Hi folks,
We've received a number of questions about Android builds and Project Fi, and we wanted to shed some light on the topic and share some tips:
If you brought your own Nexus 6 to Project Fi and was offered the newest version of Android 5.1.1 (recently offered to some N6s out in the wild): We recommend taking the update. We've tested this build with Project Fi and expect it to work great. If you run into any issues, please contact Project Fi support (1-844-TALK2FI) and we'll help you out!
If you purchased your Nexus 6 directly from Project Fi: We'll offer an OTA to the Project Fi version of 5.1.1 in a couple of weeks. We recommend waiting for the official Project Fi version, since our version contains some changes that smooth over some rough edges experienced between the standard Android 5.1.1 and Project Fi (these are really small changes, so folks that brought their own device need not worry!). We're delayed in offering it at this time as we need to follow our carrier partners in the certification process.
Note: the Android M developer preview shared at Google I/O is not a supported Android build for Project Fi.
In case you're wondering, we aren't offering folks who brought their own Nexus 6 an OTA to the Project Fi version of 5.1.1 or providing links to flash the factory images to the Project Fi version for two reasons: 1) That keeps your device eligible for ongoing OTAs in the event you want to take them back to the originating carrier. 2) The changes are not substantive from the base 5.1.1 image.
Why are there different Android builds?
Carriers have different versions of Android because sometimes carriers require different software for their radios to work on their network. We'll be moving towards unifying this moving forward, but for now, we'll have to live in a world with different build versions for different carriers =).
We'll update the community when we start offering the Project Fi version of 5.1.1 to folks who purchased from Project Fi directly. Until then, thanks for the feedback so far, and keep it coming!
Class dismissed! Justine Project Fi Community Manager

http://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/389oes/project_fi_will_not_release_their_build_info_nor/

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I still haven't gotten mine.. Waiting for over the air.

Edit: E-mailed through the Fi app and got the update. Coincidence I am sure but funny nonethekess. Very happy with this service.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am on Project Fi and am on 5.1 (I didn't buy from Play store)

I'm also on Fi, also didn't buy from Fi/Google (bought from Motorola) but I JUST got an OTA System Update that took me up another notch (I think I was on 5.1.1 before, but I didn't write down the Build #) to:

5.1.1 Build LYZ28E

--
Alex

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm also on Fi, also didn't buy from Fi/Google (bought from Motorola) but I JUST got an OTA System Update that took me up another notch (I think I was on 5.1.1 before, but I didn't write down the Build #) to:

5.1.1 Build LYZ28E

--
Alex
That's a TMO build. Happened to me and I flashed the new Fi build.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk on Fi

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
That's a TMO build. Happened to me and I flashed the new Fi build.

Yeah, I just left it alone and Fi is doing fine on the "T-Mobile" build - have no desire to chase "Fi" builds when the Fi folks are saying there's no user-facing functional difference in the builds anyway.

--
Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude