Fare thee well.....

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I feel a little sad almost after having my S5 for 4 years exactly but I have pulled the trigger and pre ordered a Note 9. My plan was to get the Note 10, but my much admired S5 has been running slow and laggy for a while now and always critically low on storage and especially RAM.

A 4000 mah battery, 512 GB storage and 8 GB RAM was too good for me to pass up. The storage I wasn't too fussed about as 64 GB would be enough for me. But a large battery and huge RAM to ensure long lasting multitasking performance really appealed to me. Oh yeah, and that new water carbon fibre cooling system so I can play some demanding games with minimal heat loading on the processor.

And here in Australia, I get a free Galaxy Tab A to boot. I feel like I am moving house and saying goodbye to a friend I won't see again. But the S5 was an awesome phone that served me really well.

The galaxy S5 was my first high end phone, before that I had a Nokia Lumia. I knew nothing about phones then and Apple had their iPhone 5 which my wife had. I looked at that phone and thought it was WAY BELOW PAR with the S5. It was a small, chunky phone with a poor resolution screen and took horrible photos and videos.

The S5 was a nice size screen in comparison, it was slim, the screen resolution and colours blew the iPhone 5 out of the water by a long shot. Ditto for photos and videos. And the fingerprint sensor sealed the deal for me. Which by the way worked almost flawlessly all this time despite a lot of popular put downs. My only real gripe with the S5 was the poor volume, low quality speaker which the Note 9 fixes by a mile with much higher quality stereo speakers.

So like saying goodbye to a friend I say, "Fare thee well" and thank you for 4 years of faithful and satisfying service.

Last edited:

izanaki

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow! 4 years is pretty amazing. I’m assuming you got a new battery at some point in that 4 year time span of owning the S5?

It will be interesting to see how long the Note 9 will last for you considering you cannot replace the battery as easily. If you’re determined to keep as long as you did with the S5 then you will likely need to bring it in at some point to replace the battery.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Wow! 4 years is pretty amazing. I’m assuming you got a new battery at some point in that 4 year time span of owning the S5?

It will be interesting to see how long the Note 9 will last for you considering you cannot replace the battery as easily. If you’re determined to keep as long as you did with the S5 then you will likely need to bring it in at some point to replace the battery.

Yeah, a few batteries to be honest. However, the new Sammy batteries apparently only lose 5% capacity in 2 years. And I won't be charging my Note 9 much past 90% nor letting it go much below 40% either. And no wireless/fast charging.

Those last 2 especially are real battery killers, real fast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svtracy