Fascinate won't Connect to PC

Robo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
My phone won't connect to my PC anymore. I just flashed dl30 froyo last week and now want to go to the latest froyo and my phone won't connect to my computer.

I have uninstalled drivers restarted computer reinstalled drivers no go....Tried restarting phone negative.

Both device sound off as though they are connected but they aren't actually connecting. Phone doesn't give up the options to mount enable debugging etc. I think everything is up to date CWM and drivers (just installed this stuff last week) perhaps the drivers need to be updated not sure.... Hopefully someone can help thank you guys in advance

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I just experienced this a day or so ago. I think the issue can be traced to Samsung's drivers - the phone seems to have a bit of a multiple personality disorder. When I searched through the Windows registry, I came across entries identifying the phone as a phone, as some type of removable storage, as an SD card reader and as a CD-ROM drive.

I was able to get it working again, but it took completely getting rid of the drivers. Here's what I did:

First, uninstall them through Windows add/remove programs and reboot.

Next, open up the Windows registry (start>run>regedit) and search for Samsung.

Assuming you have no other Samsung peripherals, for each entry you find with Samsung in the name, delete it.

If you run into permissions problems trying to delete some keys, follow the instructions here: Cannot Delete Properties: Error While Deleting Key to take ownership of that key. You have to follow it to a "T" for each and every one. And if you follow it and still can't delete a particular key, just step through the procedure for that key's parent and child keys. Eventually, you'll be able to delete it.

It's a huge PITA, but once I cleared everything Samsung out of the registry, rebooted the computer and connected my phone, it was instantly recognized as an Android device. I reloaded the Samsung drivers and everything was back to normal.

Again, a royal PITA, but at least there was a solution. Hopefully this will work for you too.

Robo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled samsung drivers rebooted and then removed all samsung from registry and still not able to connect to the phone. Both the phone and computer sound off so they know they are connected but the phone doesn't give the the options of debugging or mounting etc. and now my computer recognizes the phone as a cd not a removable disc like it did prior to froyo update. Thank you for your help in advance!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled samsung drivers rebooted and then removed all samsung from registry and still not able to connect to the phone. Both the phone and computer sound off so they know they are connected but the phone doesn't give the the options of debugging or mounting etc. and now my computer recognizes the phone as a cd not a removable disc like it did prior to froyo update. Thank you for your help in advance!

I also had this problem on both DL09 and DL30. With phone unplugged from pc, hit menu soft key, go settings=>applications=>check unknown sources, then click development, check usb debugging. Hit home soft key, plug phone into pc with usb cord. If you hear pang like phone and pc are connecting, but do not get an auto play pop up and phone is recognized as cd drive, reboot phone right then while phone is still connected to pc and usb debugging is on. cleared my problem, but you will have to be ready to upgrade to EB01 right away as this was only a temporary fix.

cfiore79

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this same problem. I'm rooted and running SC 2.4 I tried both methods above and its still being recognized as a CD drive and removable disk drive. when you click on either drive it says insert disk. its wierd.

Robo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok I got my phone to connect with Landshark's method above. Now after the update I can't get my phone to connect to my pc again. Is this common or is there something I need to do? Its nice to be able to connect real quick and download pics or whatever.

BTW I'm running 2.4 superclean

Robo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok just tried to plug the phone in and get the phone and computer to recognize each other. They both soundoff like they are connected but arent able to communicate. I have removed and reinstalled the samsung drivers rebooted computer etc. Not sure whats going on. Its been every since dl30 update. Had the same problem prior to 2.4 SC. Any ideas? Thought this new build would correct it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok just tried to plug the phone in and get the phone and computer to recognize each other. They both soundoff like they are connected but arent able to communicate. I have removed and reinstalled the samsung drivers rebooted computer etc. Not sure whats going on. Its been every since dl30 update. Had the same problem prior to 2.4 SC. Any ideas? Thought this new build would correct it.

do you have debugging mode on or off?

Robo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you DroidXcon now I feel really stupid....don't remember doing this prior to get my phone to connect but now it connects just fine. Thank you DroidXcon and Landshark for helping me work through this.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you DroidXcon now I feel really stupid....don't remember doing this prior to get my phone to connect but now it connects just fine. Thank you DroidXcon and Landshark for helping me work through this.

You're welcome.