Faulty Camera or just bad camera?

thewango

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a n4 and all the pictures look super grainy with lots of noise, plus not really on focus most of the time, is it just mine or n4 has a really bad camera?

33bppwo.jpg

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a n4 and all the pictures look super grainy with lots of noise, plus not really on focus most of the time, is it just mine or n4 has a really bad camera?

http://i44.tinypic.com/33bppwo.jpg

I had the n4 for a couple of weeks and I honestly didn't take many pics on it. Going from the s3 to the n4, I didn't notice much difference. Everyone says the camera on the n4 isn't a strong point but it's not terrible. As I said it's on par with the s3 and while it isn't the best available it's not bad.

Sent from my GS4 running the Google Edition Rom

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the N4 is pretty good. Just need to make sure you have decent light otherwise you will see noise in the photos.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine looks like that sometimes, clear but a little grainy. It has a lot to do with lighting at times. Sometimes it comes out over exposed when it shouldn't. Example: cat picture. I had to do a little editing to fix it.

I took the picture of the statue today in VERY low lighting. I was really surprised at how well it came out. No editing required.

EDIT: no flash used.

Attachments

• 1373238565132.jpg
    1373238565132.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 1373238584274.jpg
    1373238584274.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 1373238639237.jpg
    1373238639237.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
On that cat picture by the window, did you have the flash go off? Sometimes if you have a subject in front of a bright background such as a window, setting the camera to force flash the foreground will help the background from over exposing and help illuminate the subject if it is dark.

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
On that cat picture by the window, did you have the flash go off? Sometimes if you have a subject in front of a bright background such as a window, setting the camera to force flash the foreground will help the background from over exposing and help illuminate the subject if it is dark.

No flash was used. I'll try it next time.
I didn't have this issue with my GNex. I tried blocking out the light and nothing changed. At all. Even in normal lighting it will sometimes come out over exposed until I play around with it a bit.

Also just noticed that it refuses to focus while recording video. Again, good lighting and setting.
Wondering if this is a bug in the 4.3 camera...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
It's possible. I have not updated to 4.3 yet. I know there are some camera apps that you can control the ev (exposure value) to turn that down a bit to help with the over exposures.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest playing with your exposure settings as well as the HDR mode. Sliding over to +1 in lower light can make a big difference. Also make sure you have the focus set before releasing the button. I've found that it really helps if you hold it down until you see green then release. Mostly important on close ups.

You may also want to try some different camera apps. I rely on 3 depending on the shot.

Stock app: HDR, Panorama and Photosphere.

Camera zoom: regular pics

Shot control: low light pics. Or ones that I need to play with. This app gives you tons of control.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
It looks noisy to me as well.

Have you looked at the settings? maybe something got reset (Picture size, white balance, etc...). Try to reset your setting to default and try again.

Also, try to use a different camera application to see if it's software based (I use Camera Zoom FX when I want to compare shots.

nb