Few annoying things.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
The screen doesn't seem to turn off when I make a call. When I bring the phone up to my ear after dialing a number I can feel that haptics as my ear is engaging the notification swipe down.

I make a lot of calls with Bluetooth headphones. You have to physically hit the power button before putting the phone in your pocket after dialing a number. Figured this out when mid conversation the call was switched from pixel buds to the phone.

The notification panel is far to sensitive and triggers over the slightest touch when trying to do anything else.

Say stop or snooze doesn't actually work with the alarm.

The translator app is pure garbage. My boss's native language is Spanish and it literally got everything she said wrong every time. My coworkers native language is polish and it got everything she said wrong as well.

The finger print scanner is like a piece of old equipment, sometimes it works perfect every time and others it just never seems to work.

Smart lock when connected to my car is a 50/50 on if it works or not.

Anyone have suggestions on these, or is this the pixel experience lol.

Edit: The being out on hold feature and notifying you a person is there also doesn't actually work.

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The screen doesn't seem to turn off when I make a call. When I bring the phone up to my ear after dialing a number I can feel that haptics as my ear is engaging the notification swipe down.

I make a lot of calls with Bluetooth headphones. You have to physically hit the power button before putting the phone in your pocket after dialing a number. Figured this out when mid conversation the call was switched from pixel buds to the phone.

The notification panel is far to sensitive and triggers over the slightest touch when trying to do anything else.

Say stop or snooze doesn't actually work with the alarm.

The translator app is pure garbage. My boss's native language is Spanish and it literally got everything she said wrong every time. My coworkers native language is polish and it got everything she said wrong as well.

The finger print scanner is like a piece of old equipment, sometimes it works perfect every time and others it just never seems to work.

Smart lock when connected to my car is a 50/50 on if it works or not.

Anyone have suggestions on these, or is this the pixel experience lol.

Edit: The being out on hold feature and notifying you a person is there also doesn't actually work.

Haven't experienced issues with the smart lock, and the optical FPS, while not as good as a capacitive or infrasonic sensor, works better than the optical one did on my old S20 FE. I tried the translator app French <> English and it worked pretty well, better than anything else I've used.

Regarding features like Hold For Me, Direct My Call, Call Screening, etc, you have to manually turn those on in the settings - it isn't on by default. Same for modified direct controls of Google Assistant without the keyword.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Haven't experienced issues with the smart lock, and the optical FPS, while not as good as a capacitive or infrasonic sensor, works better than the optical one did on my old S20 FE. I tried the translator app French <> English and it worked pretty well, better than anything else I've used.

Regarding features like Hold For Me, Direct My Call, Call Screening, etc, you have to manually turn those on in the settings - it isn't on by default. Same for modified direct controls of Google Assistant without the keyword.

I will have to go through and check my settings. I thought I turned them all on when I went through the pixel tips. That's for the info on that, I want that pixel experience.

English to Spanish worked perfect Spanish to English was laughably bad.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're using the stock Phone app to make calls, right? And it's not on speakerphone? I experience what you're talking about when I use a 3rd party phone app (Doximity), but not the stock Phone app.

My FPS experience has been pretty good. I just had to get in the habit of pressing my finger in and keeping it there for a split second longer than I would normally do with the older capacitative sensors.

Smart Lock has never worked very well on any device. If anything, I've found that Android 12 has made it moderately more reliable.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
You're using the stock Phone app to make calls, right? And it's not on speakerphone? I experience what you're talking about when I use a 3rd party phone app (Doximity), but not the stock Phone app.

My FPS experience has been pretty good. I just had to get in the habit of pressing my finger in and keeping it there for a split second longer than I would normally do with the older capacitative sensors.

Smart Lock has never worked very well on any device. If anything, I've found that Android 12 has made it moderately more reliable.
Using the stock phone app, I was on the phone tonight with my brother and the screen just kept turning on even after I would click the power button. Maybe I will try cleaning the cache in the phone app. I had to do that to get apple music to set continuous play.

I feel like smart lock on my s21 works all the time. To the point where I had to stop and be like why isn't my pixel unlocked this is weird.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Does the problem with the Phone app happen in Safe Mode as well?
I think I figured it out and to take a page out of Apple's book. I am holding the phone wrong haha. I was testing somethings by calling voicemail. I naturally don't hold the ear piece right up to my ear all the time. I will angle it away from time to time and when I do that the screen turns on. I bring the phone back to my ear and the screen is still on. I imagine this is because the phone isn't detecting a full range of motion like bringing the phone to your ear.

Never thought I would have to relearn how to hold a phone at almost 40 haha.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with smartlock and it seems to be a known issue from other places I've read about it. It's works at least 50% of the time, but definitely not as well as it should.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I have the same problem with smartlock and it seems to be a known issue from other places I've read about it. It's works at least 50% of the time, but definitely not as well as it should.
I can say understand location based giving you a hard time. When connect to sync in my car, it should work everytime.

Then again this is new software and a new hardware combo. I am sure there will be a bunch of fixes coming with the next update.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Smart Lock never worked reliably for me with the Pixel 5 or 4XL. It's been working much better on the 6 pro in in the three days I've had it. It's maybe failed once at home to stay unlocked. On my dog walks with my bluetooth headphones, it's always unlocked. So I'm actually impressed.

The front in-screen FPS for me was a big concern, but it's been rocking really good for me. Faster than I thought and the accuracy is really good. At times it's like a hair slower than the Pixel 5, other times it needs another fraction of a second to register, but my muscles are already trained to wait for that haptic feedback before letting go just that little bit longer.

The other stuff isn't on my radar but maybe I'll try speaking Greek to the translate feature. Though my Greek is poor :)