Finally! I am free!!

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
YMMV! But for me this was a no brainer. I don't Facebook or twitter. I don't really email from my phone either. Picked this up a few days ago and will never go back to having a cell phone. Had a little trouble with battery life the first day, changed a few settings, and presto! I get full day running in Gear Only mode. I can only get/make calls and texts. Turn off the mobile data which increased the battery life in a huge way! Wouldn't mind seeing a camera in the next version, but willing to go without as a trade off to not carrying the phone.

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
NO. I work In IT, I sit at a computer all day. Even so, when I had my cell, I was always checking it, mostly for stupid stuff. I never email from my phone anyways. For me, it's part of an effort to escape from "the NET". Personally, at this point I want to disconnect as much as possible when not at work. It makes calls and send texts and I am happy with that.

I genuinely enjoy not carrying a phone. It's a freedom I thought would ever come.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A flip phone could have done this for way cheaper :).
Phone yes, but consider that on Verizon more everything plan, a gear s is $5/mo, a dumb phone is $30/mo. Over 2 years or comes out to $120 and $720,respectively, so a $600 price difference. A Verizon gear s is $350 with 2 year contract, or a savings of $250. Factor in tax savings for the gear s vs dumb phone, and it should be more.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just to add, the Verizon gear s is $250 on contract now

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
YMMV! But for me this was a no brainer. I don't Facebook or twitter. I don't really email from my phone either. Picked this up a few days ago and will never go back to having a cell phone. Had a little trouble with battery life the first day, changed a few settings, and presto! I get full day running in Gear Only mode. I can only get/make calls and texts. Turn off the mobile data which increased the battery life in a huge way! Wouldn't mind seeing a camera in the next version, but willing to go without as a trade off to not carrying the phone.

Welcome to my new normal! And I was beginning to think I was the only one waiting for this day and using it this way. Not really, I know there are more of us out there and even more to come. Talk and Text with notifications for each here (no emails on my phone at all). And I use the "net" as little as possible from my phone. Mainly just picture downloads when someone sends one my way. I like having the choice to download it or delete it before downloading. No advertising either. Cheers!

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Phone yes, but consider that on Verizon more everything plan, a gear s is $5/mo, a dumb phone is $30/mo. Over 2 years or comes out to $120 and $720,respectively, so a $600 price difference. A Verizon gear s is $350 with 2 year contract, or a savings of $250. Factor in tax savings for the gear s vs dumb phone, and it should be more.

Wait, if you are NOT a Verizon customer and would use the Gear S in stand alone without any other Verizon plan, you only pay $5/month?!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wait, if you are NOT a Verizon customer and would use the Gear S in stand alone without any other Verizon plan, you only pay $5/month?!
It would have to be on a current Verizon plan. If you know any friends or family on a current Verizon plan then they could add you for $5.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It would have to be on a current Verizon plan. If you know any friends or family on a current Verizon plan then they could add you for $5.

I see. That's what I pay on Tmo, but also because I have a regular phone plan with them, otherwise it would be 15.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I see. That's what I pay on Tmo, but also because I have a regular phone plan with them, otherwise it would be 15.

Does that mean you can walk into TMO with an unlocked Gear S and get a SIM card for $15 "without" having another phone number to pair it to? I'd go back to TMO if they will now do that. When I asked my local TMO store on the release day, they wouldn;t let me do it then...

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Does that mean you can walk into TMO with an unlocked Gear S and get a SIM card for $15 "without" having another phone number to pair it to? I'd go back to TMO if they will now do that. When I asked my local TMO store on the release day, they wouldn;t let me do it then...
I asked specifically, as I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my phone at some point as well. They said it's not a problem, and that you can even add an international plan for $5/month!
I'd call them and just ask for the wearables nano sim that they sell with the Gear S, and also mention the price, since it may help them identify it.

They clearly (on the bill) charge us $15 but give us a $10 discount because we have a phone plan with them, which means they had non Tmo customers already in mind when they created this plan.

As you may recall, I am using an unlocked ATT Gear S, but I kept the SIM that came with the Tmo Gear S, so I did not have to ask specifically for just the SIM. It should not be a problem anyway, you probably just got a bad CS representative - you just never know with Tmobile!

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
As you may recall, I am using an unlocked ATT Gear S, but I kept the SIM that came with the Tmo Gear S, so I did not have to ask specifically for just the SIM. It should not be a problem anyway, you probably just got a bad CS representative - you just never know with Tmobile!

Did you get your unlocked Gear S from Samsung, cause AT&T told me I had to wait 90 days to unlock it.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Did you get your unlocked Gear S from Samsung, cause AT&T told me I had to wait 90 days to unlock it.

This seems to be the case for people who have never been ATT customers before.

I walked into my local ATT store, told them that I wanted to buy one upfront and have it unlocked. I am not what they consider a real customer, but have had the original iPad unlimited data plan with ATT since the day the first iPad 3G came out. This seems to be the same as a non-customer to ATT, since it's a prepaid plan, but the store Mgr there was super nice and chatted with their support, who submitted an unlock ticket for me.

I had to chase it down a bit a few days later, as the ticket number I was given was not what they had listed in their system, but in the end, I got an unlock code in about 4 days.

BTW, the store mgr first said that he had had someone else come into the store with the same request the previous week, and that they found that the ATT device could not be unlocked. I told him that it had changed, and about this site and XDA developers, where people posted about unlocking their ATT Gear S and he actually came here and read up on it.

Sam if you are still reading these threads, thanks again for all your help :)

Anyhow, if you have ever been an ATT customer, all they need is that phone number and your Gear S IMEI and they can put through your request. If you know someone who is a customer, have them do it for you. I found ATT so much more helpful than Tmo, who gave me the run around and then told me they would love to help, but Samsung had not provided them with the "tools" necessary to unlock Gear S devices.

Samsung said they provide carriers unlock codes at the time of manufacturing.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
This seems to be the case for people who have never been ATT customers before.

Anyhow, if you have ever been an ATT customer, all they need is that phone number and your Gear S IMEI and they can put through your request. If you know someone who is a customer, have them do it for you. I found ATT so much more helpful than Tmo, who gave me the run around and then told me they would love to help, but Samsung had not provided them with the "tools" necessary to unlock Gear S devices.

What number? (underlined above) An existing AT&T qualifying plan number or any other carrier phone number?

I got my Gear S from an AT&T store as my only phone on a $30/mo. plan. That is the only phone number I have. Can I just request an unlock code from them because I paid for the phone up front and don't have a contract without having a different SIM card to put in it and enter the code?

In other words, can I just enter the unlock code they give me with my current AT&T SIM card in the Gear S to unlock it?

Hope what I'm asking is clear.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
What number? (underlined above) An existing AT&T qualifying plan number or any other carrier phone number?

I got my Gear S from an AT&T store as my only phone on a $30/mo. plan. That is the only phone number I have. Can I just request an unlock code from them because I paid for the phone up front and don't have a contract without having a different SIM card to put in it and enter the code?

In other words, can I just enter the unlock code they give me with my current AT&T SIM card in the Gear S to unlock it?

Hope what I'm asking is clear.

The number they wanted from me was some ATT phone number: either of an existing and older than 90 days plan with them, or of a past plan with them. If you have ever been a contract (not prepaid) customer of theirs before, they want to know what phone number you had then. They need that phone number to identify you in their system. I gave them my iPad's phone number (the iPad sim card has one attached to it).

If you have never been a customer of theirs before, you may need to find friend who is or was an ATT customer at some point, and ask them to submit an unlock request for you.

If you don't go this route, and try to get it unlocked as a new customer, their policy is to make you wait 90 days.

All of the above reflect my own experience and ymmv, especially depending on who you talk to.

See also this thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=469061