Finally Rooting

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok I finally decided to take the plunge tonight. I got root access and the superuser app on the phone. I am not wanting to flash a rom I decided to do the smoked glass rom.

Anyways I am trying to do a backup and I keep getting an error when going through the commands not letting me install busybox or then trying to get nandroid backup made before flashing.

Does anyone know where a detailed how to is. I am not new to things liek this I have modded xbox's and wii's and I am a web developer but never worked with linux and having issues on how this works.

Thanks for any advice.

Anyone have skype I can share my screen to show you what I am doing and maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

SchmidtSV76

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I just decided to go the root path tonight as well after hearing that the 2.1 update wasn't going to drop this week after all. I had absolutely no experience with rooting or hacking or anything else involving Android or any other OS for that matter. I did some searching and found a couple GREAT videos on YouTube. Go to youtube.com/droidreview . He has 10 or so videos up and I watched his videos on how to root, how to creat a nandroid backup and how to flash a rom and they are SUPER detailed walkthroughs and totally in Layman's terms. I rooted my Droid and installed the Bugless Beast rom and everything is running great. 5 homescreens, overclocked to 1gHz and no problems thus far. The ONLY thing he leaves out is in making the nandroid backup. He has you d/l the Tools zip, but forgets to tell you to unzip it in and put it in the root of your sd card before booting in recovery. Check those out tho and you should be totally set to go.

jmoney00

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
hey all. im new to this root thing trying to get everything right. I been watching a youtube vids to get everything right but i hit a hard spot.

w w w .youtube . c o m/user/DroidReview#p/u/1/sL9f9NqJC38]YouTube - DroidReview's Channel[/url]

At about 2:50 sec the person startes saying how we are going to upgrade
recovery-0.99.2b.img but he never showed us were to get the file.

Said it was part of the download. but only thing i can find is recovery-0.99.1b.img

Can anyone help me out with this

SchmidtSV76

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
hey all. im new to this root thing trying to get everything right. I been watching a youtube vids to get everything right but i hit a hard spot.

w w w .youtube . c o m/user/DroidReview#p/u/1/sL9f9NqJC38]YouTube - DroidReview's Channel[/url]

At about 2:50 sec the person startes saying how we are going to upgrade
recovery-0.99.2b.img but he never showed us were to get the file.

Said it was part of the download. but only thing i can find is recovery-0.99.1b.img

Can anyone help me out with this

Check the video info. In most of those videos, he has a file listed in there to download. I know it's there for that video because that's one of the ones I used

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Again thanks for the help got it all working last night with those videos. I have been overclocked to 1gz so far so good. Got wifi tether and terminal services.

Is there anything else I should be putting on my phone?

SchmidtSV76

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Again thanks for the help got it all working last night with those videos. I have been overclocked to 1gz so far so good. Got wifi tether and terminal services.

Is there anything else I should be putting on my phone?

I haven't done too much yet, just have it overclocked. like I said im very new at this lol What needs to be done to get the wifi tether and is Verizon gonna be upset and start hitting me with charges if I tether? haha

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
You will want to be careful with tethering cause you can get dinged although I think it will be tough jsut don't watch movies and so forth adn you should be ok.

Last edited:

dcarlton35

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
On the wifi tethering, yes, be careful because if the Big Red catches on, they can cancel it down because it is against their Terms of Service at this time until they allow for wifi tethering.

SchmidtSV76

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I kinda thought that might be the case with then lol. I didn't really plan on doing much tethering if any anyway but I figured it couldn't hurt to know. Thanks guys!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582