Fingerprint sensor problem Pixel 6a

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have had a Pixel 6a for 8 months now. Except for the lack of fast charging and the fingerprint reader problem it's a good phone. The charging issue I can live with but the fingerprint unlock is the worst I have come across. It often takes multiple attempts to unlock and often I have to resort to using my PIN. This happens on both the lock screen and the third party app lock I use. It is not limited to accessing a particular app. Sometimes I will lock the screen and returning to my phone find the fingerprint icon on the lock screen replaced by the padlock icon.

I have deleted and rescanned my fingerprints several times in the Settings but the problem still occurs. It's worth pointing out that rescanning my fingerprints is a tiresome business. Multiple attempts are required as the scanning often aborts before completing with a "Try again later " message.

Restarting the phone sometimes help. Other times one finger might work but not the other. My fingers are clean and I am careful to press firmly and not too quickly as has been advised. I have a screen protector but I don't think this is the cause as Screen Protector Mode is enabled in the display settings.

I would be grateful for any suggestions that would help mitigate this problem. I don't expect a complete solution but anything that would improve access would be appreciated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I never like the fingerprint scanner the pixel cane with as it's not the ultrasonic like Samsung which is now the pixel 9 series.
You should try taking fingerprints doing it multiple angles and holding the device like your using it in hand and try the other hand taking multiple with different angles

Reactions: Laura Knotek

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I do usually move my finger around when inputting my fingerprint so as to simulate real world use. It is annoying that this thing is so fussy and at times downright useless. My Samsung 21 FE also has an optical in-screen fingerprint scanner and it is very reliable.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I do usually move my finger around when inputting my fingerprint so as to simulate real world use. It is annoying that this thing is so fussy and at times downright useless. My Samsung 21 FE also has an optical in-screen fingerprint scanner and it is very reliable.
I remember my One plus 7 also had optical but I think a little light under would light up but the pixels have been hit or miss , can't wait for my pixel 9 pro XL

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mads788