Fingerprint support in Android apps?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Is there a technical limitation as to why 3rd party Android banking apps don't offer fingerprint support like their iOS counterparts? It seems like so many iOS apps offer but their is none (or almost none) for Android.

Why is that?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there a technical limitation as to why 3rd party Android banking apps don't offer fingerprint support like their iOS counterparts? It seems like so many iOS apps offer but their is none (or almost none) for Android.

Why is that?

My bank does fingerprint login with their Android app.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Several Android apps have fingerprint support. I use fingerprint to log in to Chase app and password manager. Also use fingerprint to verify Play Store purchases.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I finally have fingerprint support on my Capital One app, that came in an update a few months back. I've been able to use my fingerprint on that same app on iOS for over a year so I don't know why things are happening at a slower pace on Android.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
My bank app supports fingerprint authentication, though they have some bugs to work out with overall authentication setup. I also use the Chase app for a credit card and my password manager also supports fingerprint auth, though that's also buggy.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No... its probably something a bit more simple... Devs just haven't got around to supporting it. There are a bunch of features Google has added that have yet to see wide-spread adoption.. here are just two that are related to this that would make people's lives FAR easier.

1) App data backups. On a restore, or first boot, you can restore all the apps you've installed previously. Google also added in the ability for developers to include up to 25MB of internal app data into that backup set (doesn't count against your Drive quota btw). So game progess, app settings, etc... all would get restored when you restore the app. A bunch of Google apps (but not all) include the API to use it and its great. But app devs need to include the API into their stuff... and very few actually do.

2) Smart Lock API... Google's Smart Lock is woefully underutilized. Basically what Smart Lock can do is authenticate your app logins with your Google account, so if you uninstall/get a new phone/etc.. all you need to do is launch the app for the first time and Google Smart Lock will authenticate automatically. Again, devs need to integrate the API. Waze (owned by Google), Netflix and too-short list of other apps use it.

The FPS is the same way... the app devs need to incorporate the API into their stuff in order to use it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's up to the devs of the app. There isn't a limitation that doesn't allow them or anything. My bank and even my AT&T billing for my home services supports it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DONALD