Fingerprint Unlock Quagmire: if unsuccessful with 1 finger, it REQUIRES 30-second wait!!

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
on my previous S6 Edge+, if i were to be unsuccessful with unlocking with one finger multiple times, it would ask me to enter an UNLOCK CODE in lieu of trying yet again (after a certain number of tries).

on my new S7 Edge, however, after a certain number of tries of being unsuccessful with one fingerprint (i think 3 tries), it FORCES ME TO WAIT 30 SECONDS!

isn't there a way to change that default behavior to "enter a code" instead? one may sometimes be in a hurry to unlock!

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
That's not my point though:

if for whatever reason, the first couple of tries did not work, on my previous S6 Edge+, one would get a requester to enter a password.

here on the S7 Edge, however, it forces one to wait 30 seconds to retry. what if it still doesn't work? would the whole phone just lock up and get bricked?!?

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
it's just unfathomable that it requires you to wait 30 seconds without a Plan B option!

what if we were in a hurry, on the road, or doing something that requires access to our phone asap?!?

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Just tried it on my S7 edge and after 3 attempts the PIN keyboard came up. No setting to make that happen that I could find, it just does it. I'm on T-Mobile so wondering if your carrier has a different setup?

That said, the improved speed and accuracy of the fingerprint sensor is noticeable and makes unlocking the phone utterly fantastic!!!

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it on my S7 edge and after 3 attempts the PIN keyboard came up. No setting to make that happen that I could find, it just does it. I'm on T-Mobile so wondering if your carrier has a different setup?

That said, the improved speed and accuracy of the fingerprint sensor is noticeable and makes unlocking the phone utterly fantastic!!!

this is worrisome! i'm on TMobile as well and i'm in the US too.

mmm...i certainly didn't do any special setting.

would you mind working with me and try to narrow down what could possibly have caused this? thanks in advance!

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
this is worrisome! i'm on TMobile as well and i'm in the US too.

mmm...i certainly didn't do any special setting.

would you mind working with me and try to narrow down what could possibly have caused this? thanks in advance!

Of course! Only problem is I looked in Settings and there's no way to manually control it. Perhaps reboot the phone to clear out the cache and see if the PIN keyboard pops up automatically after 3 failed fingerprint attempts. Worth a shot.

MaxSmart86

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I could not agree more!!! It is OUTRAGEOUS that you can be locked out of your phone without being able to resort to entering a password. It is SO EMBARRASSING when you are trying to use Android Pay to check out, and it rapid-fire rejects your thumbprint before you can even orient your thumb properly, and you hold up the whole line while you have to dig for a credit card. If you use android pay for getting on mass transit, you're totally screwed, have to get off the bus and wait for the next one because they're not going to wait 30 seconds for you to unlock your phone. This is KILLING our adoption of mobile payments, people see me struggling and say "I'm never doing that, what a joke".

Is this an Android Marshmallow thing, or a Samsung thing? We need to let them know this needs to change!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61