FM Radio Chip Active!

razorbacks

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Even though all smartphones have an FM receiver chip (looked for specific reference on this but could not find evidence), most carriers disable the feature. The latest Galaxy S7 on AT&T, Boost, Cricket, Sprint, Virgin (and S7 Edge) on AT&T and Sprint has this chip active. I've tried it and am pulling in 30 stations in Northeast Oklahoma. You'll need the NextRadio app (linked below) and wired headphones (used for antenna) for this to work. The performance impact to my phone is minimal - just over the Cellular Standby at 3%. This is OTA broadcast radio, NOT streaming radio via carrier or wifi data connection.
I listened to one of my local stations today and only lost 3% battery in an hour. This is a great feature and potentially very useful in case of emergency to pull in local radio without trying to use a data connection.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextradioapp.nextradio

Enjoy...

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice, I'd like to see FM radios in more phones. Streaming via WiFi isn't always available or practical (availability, workplace constraints, data cap overages).

MisterEd51

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I have the SM-G930A from AT&T. FM radio works fine in my phone. You need the headphone for an antenna but you have the choice of the audio output to either the headphone or the phones internal speaker. It is strange that this feature is not even mentioned in AT&T's user manual.
=======================================================
AT&T Wants to Activate FM Radio Chips in Android Phones
By David Murphy | July 30, 2015 04:28pm EST
AT&T Wants to Activate FM Radio Chips in Android Phones | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
ACTIVATE FM CHIP
www.activatefmchip.com
-------------------------------------------------------
T-Mobile To Activate FM Chip / NextRadio
RadioInsight.com - August 14th, 2015
https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/94107/t-mobile-to-activate-fm-chipnextradio/
AT&T to activate FM radio chips in all Android phones next year
ZDNet.com - July 29th, 2015
AT&T to activate FM radio chips in all Android phones next year | ZDNet
AT&T To Activate FM Chip / NextRadio App
RadioInsight.com - July 28th, 2015
https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/93874/att-to-activate-fm-chipnextradio-app/

CBonney

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok...I tried this and it seems to work on my S7 from AT&T. I ran the app. Disabled my wifi and mobile data and connected a pair of headphones. I chose about 3 radio stations and played them from speaker.

robertillo

May 9, 2016
Visit site
This is the answer of the Samsung department in Spain:
Estaríamos encantados de ayudarle, don ........ Sin embargo, los productos de otras zonas geográficas pueden contener especificaciones de software y hardware diferentes, por lo que pueden variar las funcionalidades de los dispositivos. El modelo Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F) comercializado en España no dispone de receptor de radio FM.