For people who've done the Sim-swap trick to keep UDP....

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
No lasting problems, no one day poof there went your UDP? Because at some point I'm probably going to do the BB thing and order the Note 4 online, and then just pop my Note 2's Sim in there, but if there's a chance that down the road BAM there goes my UDP I'm gonna be grandly unhappy.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have not done it, but I have been following the threads here and in slickdeals.net. The only problems I have heard of is if someone has a pending activation and got a new SIM card. Getting that new sim when there is a pending activation will drop you Unlimited data.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So....what's the general suggestion? I mean, it'd be the only way unless I freaking buy one outright at full retail or from someone on swappa. Which I would probably do if the Paypal deal was no payments as long as paid off in 12 months vs 6.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So....what's the general suggestion? I mean, it'd be the only way unless I freaking buy one outright at full retail or from someone on swappa. Which I would probably do if the Paypal deal was no payments as long as paid off in 12 months vs 6.
I would do it if I was not in a family plan. I have just been using the transfer upgrade methods.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but I thought if you did that using a non-smartphone line, a 30 dollar data plan got dumped on the dumphone line anyway?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You can get PayPal Credit. 6 mos to pay on $99 or more purchase.

nwasquad1

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
An actual VZW rep at a store I visited confirmed the sim swap trick works and that VZW corp knows about it; however, they just can't suggest it as an upgrade UDP method to customers

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Ah, nice, I thought that part was inevitable now. So, hmm, I guess I endure another 10 months till my mom's line is due, and then finally get the Note 4, though by that time the Note 5 will probably be out. Or, I just do the trick and order it on my line, and just do the Sim-swap.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
::Cries::: Damn Note 4 is 150 bucks right now!! So tempted.....So....I order online, pop in my Note 2's SIM and bammo, I'm good. I'm just terrified something goes wrong.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
And the Note 3 is 1 buck at Best Buy. 1 freaking dollar. So, just to check, no one who's ordered online from Best Buy, and just put in their own Sim into the new phone prior to turning it on hasn't lost their UDP?

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
No lasting problems, no one day poof there went your UDP? Because at some point I'm probably going to do the BB thing and order the Note 4 online, and then just pop my Note 2's Sim in there, but if there's a chance that down the road BAM there goes my UDP I'm gonna be grandly unhappy.

I did the Best Buy Method (also called SIM swap) in August 2014. I had no problems and have kept my UDP

But isn't the Note 2 a 3G device?
For the SIM swap to work you already need a working 4G device. I didn't have a 4G device. I borrowed a friends old orphaned 4G phone. Carried it to the Verizon store where the rep. activated the SIM and inserted it into that intermediary phone. About a week later I ordered my Note 3 from BestBuy.com for home delivery. Then swapped that intermediary SIM card into the new device.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I did the Best Buy Method (also called SIM swap) in August 2014. I had no problems and have kept my UDP

But isn't the Note 2 a 3G device?
For the SIM swap to work you already need a working 4G device. I didn't have a 4G device. I borrowed a friends old orphaned 4G phone. Carried it to the Verizon store where the rep. activated the SIM and inserted it into that intermediary phone. About a week later I ordered my Note 3 from BestBuy.com for home delivery. Then swapped that intermediary SIM card into the new device.
The Note 2 is a 4g LTE device.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm so kicking myself, my indecision lasted longer than the 1 dollar Note 3 deal on BB and Amazon. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come back. I'm just so scared that somehow, even doing everything right, will kick me in the teeth. If by giving up UDP Verizon would say allow me to pay 30-40 bucks for say, 12 gigs a month, I'd be fine, but 6-8 is too low, I tend to go 8-10 odd gigs a month.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm so kicking myself, my indecision lasted longer than the 1 dollar Note 3 deal on BB and Amazon. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come back. I'm just so scared that somehow, even doing everything right, will kick me in the teeth. If by giving up UDP Verizon would say allow me to pay 30-40 bucks for say, 12 gigs a month, I'd be fine, but 6-8 is too low, I tend to go 8-10 odd gigs a month.

I check prices on BestBuy.com daily for the past 8 moths.

What I see is that prices tend to change usually on Saturdays and sometimes Tuesdays. I week the price change is for an S5, another week the S4, another week the Note 3, etc.

If you keep checking the site you will eventually see a price of $99 or $49 and if supplies last even $1 again. Today a Note 3 is $199.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was going to go for the 3 solely because it was 1 buck, and I figured at worst down the road I sell it on swappa, use the cash towards buying a Note 4 on swappa. Oh well, I still love my Note 2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millionmiles