For sprint hero, new sprint surcharge

repinphilly247

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I have the Sprint Hero and love it. Just patiently waiting on 2.0 or 2.1. But the real reason for this thread is that Sprint is adding a $4.99 surcharge to those accounts with spending limits. Any new accounts have spending limits. I first read about this on precentral.net (followed them because I wasn't sure whether to get a Pre or Hero and still like to follow the development of webOS; also they post a lot more articles on what sprint is doing compared to android central.

Here is the article:
http://www.webosnation.com/sprint-customers-can-get-out-their-etf-next-month#comment-46939

I chatted with an online rep, and he said the the $4.99 charge is going into effect soon (I assumed January from his statement) for those accounts with a spending limit, but if you are signed up for automatic payment, then the fee will be waived.

Here is the transcript:

1:55:38 PM Customer Paul
Does the spending limit eventually come off? Simply because I heard sprint is putting a $5 charge to anyone with a spending limit?

1:57:55 PM Agent Todd H
If the account is enrolled in Automatic bill payments, the $4.99 charge will be waived, this will begin in January. After 18 months of service and responsible payment, Sprint may remove your spending limit and send an account notification letter.

Just to warn those fellow Sprint Hero users who aren't signed up for automatic bill payment. I can not back up his statements as the (waived) fees yet to occur.

jmcgarrell

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
That almost sounds like a guideline that could allow people to get out of a contract early........ hmm

Guess I should read the link first haha

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I believe that spending limits are reviewed after 13 months of consecutive service. If they are not removed on that 13 month mark then it's another 13 month wait.

I received a letter informing me that my spending limits were removed after my first 13 months.

vlozano06

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
how do you know if you have a spending limit? i've been with sprint for over 3 years now. i've never noticed anything about a spending limit on my acct.

boomhower1820

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
how do you know if you have a spending limit? i've been with sprint for over 3 years now. i've never noticed anything about a spending limit on my acct.

It will be at the bottom of your landing page after you log-in. If it's not there then you don't have one. It will be a little bar showing how close you are.

Any new accounts have spending limits.

Not true. It is based on your credit. If your credit's good enough you don't have a spending limit.

I received a letter informing me that my spending limits were removed after my first 13 months.

Same here.

repinphilly247

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Not true. It is based on your credit. If your credit's good enough you don't have a spending limit.

That's not necessarily true. My credit score is pretty high up there and they still gave me a spending limit. Probably because I'm under 25. They said when I opened my acct I was eligible for 3 phones with no deposit at all, but I still have a spending limit. Go figure.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
The new $4.99 charge is an adverse financial change to your contract, after the fee is implemented you have 30 days to cancel your contract with Sprint either in writing on via phone with a Sprint representative.

My guess is that they'll wave the fee once they see the number of customers who are willing to leave over 5 bucks a month. Most aren't leaving because of the fee, most will leave because they want devices the other carriers have.