fragmentation aggravating!!

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
the fragmentation has got to stop!

it's slowing down android development.

google body came out and is only available for 3.0

which freaking like NOBODY has not even nexus users

google needs to hire xda or figure something out.
i understand its open source and all but they can nudge the developers in the right direction at least.

hate to compare to iOS but when i had an iphone i never had to think about whether something could run on my phone or not. and when it didn't it made sense why it didnt. half the time i really just don't get why these phones dont have the latest updates and blah blah blah.

carriers and phone manufacturer's slow down updates to phones.
thus slowing down app development because they have to be developed for lower version phones.

if everyone was faster at development. the end user experience would be better

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy Tab is a tablet. So is the one from HTC and that won't have 3.0 either. Is it that the app requires Tegra 2? If so- they should say so in the app notes.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I understand all of you frustration with fragmentation because it does get annoying when some device's receive the new update a lot sooner than others. The only 2 options I can recommend that could benefit user's who like to get the newest updates are:
1) The next phone you get, make sure it is relatively new and running a vanilla version of Android (ex. Nexus line of phones). Devices that are running an un-skinned version of Android will most likely get those updates sooner.

2) root your device and flash a custom rom (ex. CyanogenMod).

As for the concerns about apps and Xoom apps. This is not fragmentation of android handheld devices. 3.0 is specifically designed for Tablets. Apps are not open source and app availability has nothing to do with Android being open source. Certain apps are created for specific devices. When you use a device that the app is not designed for, it will not show up when you search for it (if the developer set it up correctly). Google Body is an app designed for Tablets currently so it will not show up when you search it on your device.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Development is fine. The real issue is people buying a ghettodroid and complaining that resource intensive apps won't run on it.

Fragmentation is only a problem when you're broke and can't get a higher end device.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Development is fine. The real issue is people buying a ghettodroid and complaining that resource intensive apps won't run on it.

Fragmentation is only a problem when you're broke and can't get a higher end device.

Not necessarily. Look at the US's galaxy s line. Top knotch hardware but lacking quick updates.

And please try to be polite. There is no reason for placing judgement towards others. Some people don't need what a high end phone has to offer.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Fragmentation is the latest buzz word that tech bloggers (who are really over their heads on such issues) like to shoot around to make themselves feel self important.

Fragmentation is not an issue, as far as when you have you have two OS versions when 99.9% of the apps work interoperably. In Windows you can get the same OS and a game won't work on one machine because the graphics driver for so and so card has issues. Fragmentation is not really as much of an OS issue but a hardware issue, mainly when one device has this hardware and the others don't. Xperia Play with its unique controls maybe a real fragmentation issue, not Android 2.2 vs. 2.3. Having different GPUs like Adreno vs. PowerSGX, those are real fragmentation issues, not Android 2.1 vs. 2.2.

The real issue is when you have a fork. A fork is like having Symbian S80, S60, UIQ and so on. Android itself is a Linux fork, and other Linux fork include Meego, LiMo, and WebOS. If for example, hypothetically, Nokia adopted Android, then ported QT frameworks on its version of Android. Then Nokroid would be a fork. If one writes a QT app, it would run on Nokroid but not on Samdroid or Motoroid. Oh there is a true Android fork, and its called OPhone in China. Its only operated by China Mobile. The Symbian you see in Japanese keitai are forks from the main Symbian body which has consolidated into S60, and now ^x series.

Last edited:

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Not necessarily. Look at the US's galaxy s line. Top knotch hardware but lacking quick updates.

And please try to be polite. There is no reason for placing judgement towards others. Some people don't need what a high end phone has to offer.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I know not everyone can afford a top end device and I'd never judge for that.

What I do criticize is thinking you don't need or want higher end device, getting a cheap one, then complaining that it won't run the things a higher end device will run and blaming Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohsin sadat