Free app to back up texts?

xocarrie

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I used to use Handcent SMS but had to get rid of it because it would randomly erase all my text messages. Now I'm just using the default messaging app, but still sometimes my messages get erased (for example, if I restart the phone). It's happened twice now in a period of 2 weeks and it's getting frustrating because I need some of those messages to be saved.

Are there any free applications out there that back up SMS so they can be restored after they get erased?

Purchased apps are ok too if that's all that's out there, but I'm mainly looking for free.

weirdkid

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
"SMS Backup & Restore" is free in the market, it seems to have a good rating. I use "SMS Backup" it won't restore it but it saves all your SMS to your email account under the lable "SMS" which you can easily look at from the gmail app or from the computer.

bor999

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
"SMS Backup & Restore" is free in the market, it seems to have a good rating. I use "SMS Backup" it won't restore it but it saves all your SMS to your email account under the lable "SMS" which you can easily look at from the gmail app or from the computer.

Do you know if this will save the # of messages that is shown that you have with each person? As well as the pictures from MMS messages?

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I used to use Handcent SMS but had to get rid of it because it would randomly erase all my text messages. Now I'm just using the default messaging app, but still sometimes my messages get erased (for example, if I restart the phone).
The app's not the issue. You need to look into whether you're running out of internal storage or, specifically, text message storage -- or if there's another issue that's causing you to lose the messages.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you know if this will save the # of messages that is shown that you have with each person? As well as the pictures from MMS messages?

You can browse the backups from within the app (all it does is make an XML file of your messages) and browse them in conversation view just like you would in the standard messaging app. But no, the app only does SMS. Not MMS.

bor999

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
You can browse the backups from within the app (all it does is make an XML file of your messages) and browse them in conversation view just like you would in the standard messaging app. But no, the app only does SMS. Not MMS.

I see. So lets say I backup my texts, then do a factory reset of my phone. If I click "restore," will all the texts go back in place like they were originally?