Full retail/4G question

Target#AC

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I keep making these "Help Me!" threads, but I want to make sure everything is copasetic if I'm going through the trouble of waiting for this phone.

If we have a line with a 3G data plan and buy the Tbolt at full retail and activate it with our number, how does the 4G data plan work? Will I have to call Verizon and tell them I want to be in the 4G unlimited data plan since I switched phones? It's coming to the point where the only real plus of buying this will be getting grandfathered in to the unlimited 4G plan before they start tacking on premiums.

Thanks for all your guys' help

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Total speculation until we go to the store and actually buy the phone. I am totally guessing here based on what I have read in these forums...

I am guessing that 3G+LTE is going to be unlimited for 29.99. I am also guessing that you will need Verizon to give you a SIM card to access LTE. From some of the videos I have seen, if you don't have that SIM card you can only use it on a wifi network.

Time will have to answer this question with any more certainty.

Target#AC

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I was hearing as well. I know there was some talk about they'll ship you the cards after you buy it, which just sounds weird, or maybe they'll be included when you purchase it. I'm just wondering if I switch from using an iPhone and activate my # on the Tbolt, will I have to tell Verizon for the 4G to come through. I'm assuming yes, but I guess they'll tell us more once they decide to start selling it

NobleSix

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't sound right. 4g access is a function of the radio, not the SIM. If the radio is capable of LTE access, then it will pull 4g signal. The SIM provides an "identification" to the network and is tied to an account. As long as the SIM is active in the VZW computers, the phone can access the network. 3g/4g won't matter...active SIM = active phone. On another note, the last I saw, VZW said their 4g data would be the same price as the 3g data.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The SIM needs to be active to access the LTE towers.
I just activated two LTE USB modem/air cards, they had SIMs installed in them.

I do NOT know if you need the SIM to use CDMA 1x (voice) in the phone.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I am absolutely blown away how fast it is.
That being said. They just turned it on in Metro Detroit last week...and obviously no one or hardly no one is using it.
I got speeds as high as 20 down and 9 up...a few times 6 down/up...but averaged 12-14 down and 3-6 up over all the tests I ran.
I know a laptop has more processing power than a phone...but seeing these speeds (compared to the 3G air cards they replaced) gave me a whole new sense of excitement to see a Tbolt on that LTE.

Not that anyone is calling me a liar...I think we're all tired of the poor sources from BB, VZW and everyone surrounding this phone.
So here's the proof of SIM in USB modems. :) (I Still have one for a guy in Tampa...waiting on him to call me for arrangements.)
(Thank the crappy, no flash camera in my BB Curve 8530 for the pic..but you get the idea)

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
:O Another member of Noble Team!

From what I have gathered, you get a SIM card that enables your data. The 4G plan shouldn't be any different from the 3G plan, since it is essentially just 3G with 4G if you are in the right area. I don't know for sure though. Since Verizon hasn't said jack about any of it, we won't know until they do.

Target#AC

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks for the explanations. We don't have 4G here in Wilmington yet, but the Verizon plan will have it here and in the Raleigh/Durham triangle area where I'll be at law school for the next 3 years by the end of the year. Trying to jump on the $30 4G plan now so I don't have to change that for a while

NobleSix

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I am absolutely blown away how fast it is.
I got speeds as high as 20 down and 9 up...a few times 6 down/up...but averaged 12-14 down and 3-6 up over all the tests I ran.

Not that anyone is calling me a liar...I think we're all tired of the poor sources from BB, VZW and everyone surrounding this phone.
So here's the proof of SIM in USB modems. :)
http://img402.imageshack.us/i/img00038201102241434.jpg/

Those speeds are AMAZING! I can't wait to get my hands on a 4g handset! LOL @ no pics no proof!

NobleSix

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
:O Another member of Noble Team!
From what I have gathered, you get a SIM card that enables your data. The 4G plan shouldn't be any different from the 3G plan, since it is essentially just 3G with 4G if you are in the right area. I don't know for sure though. Since Verizon hasn't said jack about any of it, we won't know until they do.

Actually, I have been using this handle since about 1998. I only recently found out about it's use in the HALO universe (Thanks to my son, who showed me the game guide for Reach.) I was quite irritated. I wonder if I could sue Bungie for stealing intellectual property...lol!

That's one of the few things I hate about VZW. They hold some things so tightly. Say all you want about the competition and secrets; I think these policies, especially so close to release, are counter-productive.

Last edited:

NobleSix

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Some people in Vegas during CES were seeing speeds exceeding 30!

That would be awesome, but I think that might have been a fluke based on network activity. The greater Phoenix area has had 4g since it's intro and I'm dying to use it! I wish they would stop being so tight azzed about it and give me some sweet 4g lovin!

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Those speeds are AMAZING! I can't wait to get my hands on a 4g handset! LOL @ no pics no proof!

Cynical, cynical world we live in buddy.

I should add, those speeds were with 2-3 bars out of a possible 4 in an OLD brick building with thick walls.
The same spot (on my desk) would yield 1-2 bars on a 3G card (Pantech 175) and sometimes hardly a signal at all.

I can tell you the two users I gave the cards to Tuesday came in yesterday with Doc Emmet Brown eyes....and said Holy ****...you were right. LOL.

(Just a little Back to the future reference for the young pups...)

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Nope...just from my desk.
It was good enough for me.
Tempted to activate the third LTE card I have at my desk, but that would render a remote user's current 3G card useless...hmmm...:)

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I just did this speed test using my 4G Pantech UML290 modem.

This is with 3 bars of signal strength and -76 dBm.

You won't be disappointed with the 4G speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rigby