Fully featured, functioning S Note.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
*** UPDATED and simpler ***

OK, first time around I complicated this way more than necessary. For those who have read this before I edited it, I hope this is less "messy".

*** If you do try this, please be sure to back everything up first, whether cloud backup from within S Notes, your PC, or renaming the SnoteData file. ***

The S Note version (5.1.02-18) available for download from XDA seem to be the one with the most full-featured Action Memo, and when installed as explained below, all "Link To" actions work. It has a number of "More Features" available, but when trying to add those from the Galaxy App Store (from the link within S Notes), some of them generate an error message and do not install.

Member French below, suggested first trying to allow all permissions for S Note and each of the "More Features" you might already have installed, then clearing the cache before using S Note. I haven't tried that yet, but if anyone does, please let us know.

This is the cleanest way I found to do this, basically from scratch:

1. Set the Galaxy Apps Store NOT auto update. There is a "newer" S Note version that would undo everything below.

2. Turn auto update off for the Google Play store in case S Note becomes available there again too.

3. Uninstall S Note and any of the "More Features" you currently have sucessfully installed (listed in #4 below).

4. Install each of the following "More Features" (add-ons?). After each one, using "Application Manager" in settings, allow all permissions.
... - Easy Chart (version 1.4.18)
......Easy chart 1.4.18 APK Download by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. - APKMirror
... - Extension Pack (version 1.1.01)
...... Extension pack 1.1.00 APK Download by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. - APKMirror (APKMirror had version 1.1.00 and older versions. I got 1.1.01 from my Note 5, but hopefully this works as well.)
... - Idea Sketch (version 1.4.14)
...... Idea Sketch 1.4.14 APK Download by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. - APKMirror
... - Photo Note (version 4.1.11)
..... Photo note 4.1.11 APK Download by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. - APKMirror
... - S Note Widget (version 1.1.11)
..... S Note widget 1.1.06 APK Download by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. - APKMirror (APKMirror had version 1.1.06 and a few older versions. I got 1.1.11 from my Note 5, but hopefully this works as well.)
... - Scrapbook (version 1.7.1354994)
..... Scrapbook 1.7.1410883 APK Download by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. - APKMirror

5. Install S Note (version 5.1.02-18) from XDA - [GUIDE] How To Get Back Action Memo | Samsung Galaxy Note 7
- After installing, be sure to allow all of S Note's permissions.

(If you run into any problems, try to take a screen shot to show what it is.)

Good luck!

Last edited:

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if anyone has tried this yet? I'll try to post some screenshots later of the missing features working now.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
*** Make sure you have the Galaxy Apps app set to NOT auto update. There is a "newer" S Note version that would undo everything above.

I would also turn auto update off for the Google Play store in case S Note becomes available there again too.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm not seeing the additional permissions from your 2nd screen shot.

So this post is changing as I'm discovering so if you read the original you aren't crazy...I did say it doesn't work. But it does. I have since discovered once you get these items installed, in a regular S Note (not an action note) you have to click on the square with the plus sign (next to the text icon), and then make sure you are in "others" menu at the bottom. Mine was on gallery so I didn't even look to see that camera and others are also options.

However, my menu doesn't have those additional permissions like yours does (in the applications permissions screen)...I'm on Verizon and they monkeyed with some of the layouts and what-not, so who knows.. I think the permissions are there because if I look at more they are listed...along with a whole bunch of other stuff.

With all of this in mind, I'm not positive but wondering if simply installing the additional 2 items (easy chart and idea sketch), then updating permissions within those through the applications menu, then clearing cache in S Notes and reopening would give the same end result. Did you by chance try that? I didn't. Just wondering out loud and if others come later maybe someone else will give it a shot. Oh, and if you are syncing to Samsung within S Notes, you should get your notes back. But obviously proceed with caution and back up if you have stuff that's really important to you just in case.

Last edited:

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing the additional permissions from your 2nd screen shot.....my menu doesn't have those additional permissions like yours does (in the applications permissions screen)...I'm on Verizon and they monkeyed with some of the layouts and what-not, so who knows.. I think the permissions are there because if I look at more they are listed...along with a whole bunch of other stuff....
I'm on VZW also. I only saw those permissions once, and really don't remember after how many installs/uninstalls. I have no clue why it's not showing anymore for either of us! But as you said, those permissions do show up under "All permissions".

...I have since discovered once you get these items installed, in a regular S Note (not an action note) you have to click on the square with the plus sign (next to the text icon), and then make sure you are in "others" menu at the bottom. Mine was on gallery so I didn't even look to see that camera and others are also options....
That is shown in one of the screen shots I intended to upload later. But I should include at least those for now. Below is a shot from my Note 5 and my Note 7. The square/plus sign is the "Insert" icon. On the N5 all of the options are shown together. On the N7 there are "tabs".

tempFileForShare_2016-09-27-16-29-58.jpg...<--- Note 5....Note 7 --->...tempFileForShare_20160927-162820.jpg

...With all of this in mind, I'm not positive but wondering if simply installing the additional 2 items (easy chart and idea sketch), then updating permissions within those through the applications menu, then clearing cache in S Notes and reopening would give the same end result. Did you by chance try that? I didn't.....
I haven't tried it yet. Once I got it working on my "bad" Note 7 (still waiting for the shipping label/box from VZW), I replicated it on my good one. Still have a few more things to copy from my bad one, then was thinking of factory resetting it to see if there is a more simplified (less convoluted, lol!) way to do this. If so, I'll edit the first post.

......Oh, and if you are syncing to Samsung within S Notes, you should get your notes back. But obviously proceed with caution and back up if you have stuff that's really important to you just in case.
True. I don't use any cloud backup, just to my PC. So I'm not too worried if I accidentally wipe something, lol!

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, just noticed from my screenshot that Scrapbook isn't there. I'll check APKMirror to see if they have it. Might as well mess with this old N7 while I still can!

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Thank you so much for sharing this. I don't know that I'll be using the two new options, but now I see S Notes does more out of the box (side loaded) than I realized. Please Samsung, fix this disjointed mess!!!

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, just noticed from my screenshot that Scrapbook isn't there. I'll check APKMirror to see if they have it. Might as well mess with this old N7 while I still can!
It is on APKMirror, several versions - You searched for samsung scrapbook - APKMirror
But I used the .apk from my Note 5 just to do it quickly, and sure enough, it worked. And without the uninstall/reinstall of S Notes. Tho maybe because it was never installed...? Dunno. I will try using your suggestion later tho, to try to simplify this mess!

I was really pissed when first getting the phone that Action Memo and S Note were missing. Then as we realized the version in the Google Play Store (now "incompatible" with every device) was gimped, as is the one in the Galaxy App Store, it got me even more ticked off. Was like a speck of dust in my eye that I couldn't get rid of. But the recall overshadowed all that. Once I got my new one, the annoyance picked up right where it left off!

Here's a screenshot of the Insert with Scrapbook as an option. It seems to work, but shows zero files for me since I've never used Scrapbook.

tempFileForShare_2016-09-27-16-29-58.jpg

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
How do you deal with the screen overlay bs... When I try to change permissions that pops up.. I. Go to screen overlay and it won't let me change it

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
How do you deal with the screen overlay bs... When I try to change permissions that pops up.. I. Go to screen overlay and it won't let me change it

Do you have a note "open" or a little yellow square at the top of your screen? You will need to close that down.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
So I just found this video on the Scrapbook feature. I haven't played around with SmartSelect enough yet to know if it can do the same thing, but this is very cool that you can save/embed a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00TGvLR91OU

Sigh...the more I learn what the Note 5 software could do the more frustrated I am with the implementation of the Note 7 software. I can't imagine how those of you that converted over (and that used it heavily) on the 5 feel.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, this was all for naught....or not.

For those who liked S Notes, you can still get most of its features working on other Samsung non-Note phones.

One of my sons currently has the S7E. His previous phone was the S6E. Funny story (now), it was overheating - nearing 110 degrees F back in late July/early August. Fought with VZW for a 2 hour phone call. The best they had was to factory reset it. He did, then left for a vacation the next day. Came back with a cracked screen and back. Asked him what happened and he said it got so hot while waiting at the airport for his return flight that it burned his hand and he dropped it.I went nuts on VZW on the drive home from the airport, and they were adamant that our only recourse was to pay Asurion since now it was damaged. Which it would NOT have been had it not burned my son's hand! I gave up and he paid off the existing balance and upgraded to the S7E.

Anyhow, a few days ago I factory reset it again, and tried the above steps. Most of S Notes features are working (using your finger or a normal stylus). Action Notes kinda works. You have to open S Notes to create a new Action Note. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get the Link To features to work, tho you can use an Action Memo to Set A Reminder. However, most of S Note's features do work.

Considering this all worked this well on the S6E, I would imagine it works on the S7/S7E. Would love it if someone tried it (he won't let me mess with his, lol!).

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
... Funny story (now), it was overheating - nearing 110 degrees F back in late July/early August....

Would bet that if this happened just a few weeks later, there would be no problem replacing the phone. Am considering taking it to a Samsung center in a local Best Buy. Hell, I still own it, and if it's a heat/smoke/fire hazard, which I cannot imagine it's not, then it should be replaced just as my Note 7 is, no? Whether it's currently active on my account shouldn't matter - I've paid for it in full.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Kinda funny, I still had the s-note 5.x apk file on my sd card from the Note 7.
Thanks for sharing this info.

Cheers,
BR

dzigner

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Apk links

*** UPDATED and simpler ***

OK, first time around I complicated this way more than necessary. For those who have read this before I edited it, I hope this is less "messy".

All the apks- except of s-note, gives me error - not installed, the apk may be corrupt. Trying to install on Galaxy Note 8

ps: Had to remove the rest of the post, because the forum gave me error - it was marked as spam, and to remove all mention of money. So I had to remove the rest of the post. ):