G3 auto-restarting with SIM error (overheating?)

Kraddock

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys!

For almost a month now I have LG G3, 16GB, D855 (International) version
I am using the latest S/W version (V20t-EUR-XX) with Lollipop 5.0
Stock ROM, non-rooted, no mods, no USB debugging, no fiddling in the Service menu, no SD-card

It's been smooth sailing so far except for the screen occasionally getting too hot in the sun on full brightness, but that's all - It was lag-free and problem free until 2 days ago, when I tried recording some 4K video for the first time. 2 minutes in, with the screen brightness set to minimum from the start, the phone said "SIM card removed" (see image) and after 10 seconds restarted on its own (without heat warning). After the restart, and this is the weird thing, it still said No SIM card, the language was now set to Bulgarian (I live in Bulgaria, but I am using the phone in English (US)) and a notification popped-up on the screen for me to read and agree to the LG Legal Documents (as if I'm just starting the phone for the first time). For the phone to recognize the SIM card again, I had to first shut it down and wait for a minute before powering it back up.

I googled and googled and decided the logical thing to do was Factory Reset. I did a hard reset and without restoring/installing any non-stock apps went straight for the video recorder. After 2 and a half minutes absolutely the same thing happened. Now, the strange thing is that this time I made sure all my languages were set to English (US) at the initial setup screens, but the phone again reset to Bulgarian. No idea why it defaults to it. Anyway, that's not so important, because it seems that all other settings are left untouched.

So, I decided not to mess with the phone anymore and just wait for Marshmallow and try 4K recording after the update. However, today, as I was playing Luminosity (a 2D brain-game, pretty lightweight IMHO) the same thing happened after 10 minutes in and this is no longer acceptable.
I dug a little deeper and installed CPU Temp and StabilityTest. The former shows 46-49 degrees Celsius idle temps and 78-80 after a minute of 4K recording, and the latter shuts the phone down in the same way the camera does after a minute of running any of its stress tests.

I can reproduce the problem again and again by simply recording videos in 4K for 2+ minutes - it doesn't matter if the battery is full or not, doesn't matter if the phone is charging or not, and doesn't matter If the SIM card is inserted or not. Without it, it simply restarts without the SIM card error screen.

Now, the question is - what are my options to lower the temp down and be able to play 2D games / record 4K without the phone shutting itself down?

Attachments

• pre.jpg
    pre.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 22
  • post.jpg
    post.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 21

Kraddock

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Just to add something - 4K recording goes to 105 degrees Celsius (220 Fahrenheit), but it shuts down without temp warning. I guess it toasts the SIM and it loses contact (when it's inside the phone), otherwise just shuts down. But why no warning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EcuadorCynthia