G7 Users: As the latest phone from LG, how's the signal strength?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi folks,

I come here as someone who used an unlocked V30 on T-Mobile band 4 for a couple weeks, but had to sell it because of terrible signal/radios, as well as the UI/theme options leaving much to be desired. So I ask (especially those on T-Mobile), how is your signal? Are you able to achieve full bars of reception, at least at home?

I wasn't able to do so in my apartment (where I spend most of my time in the same area as my modem), much less while out and about, especially in not so great coverage areas. Calls were odd, in that the other party would say I would echo. The included radio app was essentially useless, because my local stations came in full of static.

I really hated giving up on the quad DAC, and the battery life I was getting was phenomenal for my usage. The wide angle lens was nice to have, even though I only take the occasional point-and-shoot. I thought I'd be set for the next two years with it, so I'm obviously disappointed.

I'd like to upgrade from my Nexus 6P, and even with my V30 experience, I still have an eye on the V40 (or Note 9/S10+, next year) but it's hard for me to trust LG. The V30 was my first LG phone, because I love that it was geared towards a quality music listening experience, but also because I wanted to try something other than a Samsung after the crappy S3 I had. As it stands, though, those are my options. I'd appreciate your thoughts and shared experiences. Thanks in advance!

Falkentyne07

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
No problems with reception on the G7. Worked better than the international version of the G6. (Not sure how the US versions of the G6 were however).

mike146

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I have Verizon in NYC, never a problem with calls. occasionally I have turn off WiFi as it will use wifi for some calls and that signal can be jumpy sometimes. Otherwise, there is one spot on highway if driving normal speed isn't a problem, but in traffic always drop call in that one dead zone. Even if only one bar, haven't dropped a call.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I have Verizon in NYC, never a problem with calls. occasionally I have turn off WiFi as it will use wifi for some calls and that signal can be jumpy sometimes. Otherwise, there is one spot on highway if driving normal speed isn't a problem, but in traffic always drop call in that one dead zone. Even if only one bar, haven't dropped a call.

I'm in Queens, and I exclusively use Spectrum's 5G WiFi at home. Even in the area of my apartment where the modem is, I only ever had 4 bars. I tend to turn WiFi off when out so it doesn't run in the background with LTE. I did get the phone off Swappa in mint condition, but the manufacture date was February of this year, and was purchased at the end of April. It's just weird that the antennas would be so bad on a phone that likely wasn't part of the initial batches.

cooper_m22

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I am on T-Mobile, I live in Montana one of the worst states for reception and I can honestly say you so far my G7 is the best phone for receptions I have had in a long time. I am very pleased with it.

mmaestro

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile customer here in, NJ outside of Philadelphia. Having moved from an iPhone 6S to my G7, the reception has been great for me overall, I'm pleased. IMO Apple has never really done a great job of their antennas, so it was nice to move away from that, but the G7 has been even better than I expected.
My reception is bad at home, but reception for every phone with every carrier is bad in my home. The WiFi calling works well for me in that one case, however, and everywhere else it's good.