Galaxy S iii unlimited data

wvugho

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I currently have unlimited data on both my lines. I recently upgraded to the droid razr and was able to keep my unlimited data. My wife is now due for an upgrade of her droid x which she still likes. I was wondering if i should pre order the galaxy s iii to keep her unlimited data and get her a 4G phone? If she doesnt like the galaxy could she switch back to her droid x and keep the galaxy as a spare or i could use it, or would we even have to activate it. I am just trying to get the newest phones possible and keep our unlimited data. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

badrsj

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The best I've understood is by end of summer if you want subsidy you'll have to switch plans. If you can pick up a current device on subsidy its worth it if you want to keep unlimited data.
After you have the new device she may go to whatever device she prefers including change to the upcoming 4G iphone on trade against the S3, or stay with current device.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: wvugho

badrsj

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You'd have to activate the device yes, but it can be switched back to previous device. If the sim sizes are same you can swap devices online without having to go to a store.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

mac7mcl

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the unlimited plan as well. I just ordered the Samsung SIII and was able to keep my current plan. As I understand it you will be able to keep your plan as long as you don't get a phone under a discount once the plan switches over. If you buy the phone out right or just activate a phone against the plan the plan will remain the same unlimited. So next time you switch phones either spend the COIN and buy it, or activate a phone you currently have begged or borrowed.

When the plan goes into affect the only way VERIZON tells me ill lose it is If I use the every two year upgrade with a discount

your plan then switches to a data allotment..... my 2 cents.

Last edited:

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The Droid X will just have to be used as a wi-fi device instead of a backup because it's a 3G phone. Once you have a 4G phone, trying to switch back to a 3G phone will make you possibly lose your unlimited data. I was told about this last summer when I was on the phone with Verizon. Heard it from a couple people. I think the idea is they want people off of the 3G network.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I currently have unlimited data on both my lines. I recently upgraded to the droid razr and was able to keep my unlimited data. My wife is now due for an upgrade of her droid x which she still likes. I was wondering if i should pre order the galaxy s iii to keep her unlimited data and get her a 4G phone? If she doesnt like the galaxy could she switch back to her droid x and keep the galaxy as a spare or i could use it, or would we even have to activate it. I am just trying to get the newest phones possible and keep our unlimited data. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

We don't know when these new plans and policies go into effect.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

mac7mcl

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
We don't know when these new plans and policies go into effect.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Yes, we do, June 28th!

The plan, which goes into effect on June 28, will allow customers to hook up as many as 10 devices to one contract under the same data plan. This marks a big shift from previous options offered by Verizon or its competitors and may set off an industry trend.

This ?is the most profound change to pricing the telecom industry has seen in 20 years," Sanford Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett told the Associated Press.

Convincing customers to consolidate their service providers is the final growth frontier in a highly saturated market.

The new plans would benefit customers who use a lot of data, and potentially penalize those that don?t.

The plan will feature unlimited voice and texting for $40 a month for all customers, a sign Verizon no longer expects to make big money off of old-fashioned phone calls and texting.

But the plan also scraps unlimited data plans. The cheapest data plan will be $50 a month for one gigabyte, with tethering for other devices included.

What sets the plan apart is the low cost per month for connecting additional wired devices. Tablets, for instance, can connect for only $10 a month ? currently $30 per month for service ? and laptops can be added for $20.

Heavier data users will pay $10 for the first additional gigabyte, then $10 more for each additional two gigabytes.

Currently, Verizon customers pay $40 for 450 minutes of voice, $30 for two gigabytes of data and $10 for 1,000 text messages. That average monthly bill amounts to $80.

Under the new plan, a customer would spend $40 for voice and text, and a baseline of $50 for just one gigabyte of data, amounting to $90 a month.

Customers who use more data see some savings, but not until they pay $20 more for four gigabytes and bring their total monthly bill to $110.

A similar contract under current pricing with tethering added would cost $120.

Shared plans also see savings only if the customers are heavy data users.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, we do, June 28th!

The plan, which goes into effect on June 28, will allow customers to hook up as many as 10 devices to one contract under the same data plan. This marks a big shift from previous options offered by Verizon or its competitors and may set off an industry trend.

well duh. haha. my post was before the info was released!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol