Galaxy s20 Beats iPhone 11

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
For anyone considering switching to iPhone from Android, or vice versa, here is one reason if you use email a lot on your phone for work purposes.

I was going to switch to iPhone in November to get on the same platform as my kids. Got the regular iPhone 11 but kept my s10 just in case. Within a few weeks the iPhone 11 stopped working with Carplay on my 2018 Accord so I switched back to my s10. The s10 has been somewhat slow, so I got the $600 credit and upgraded to the s20 about 3 weeks ago. Life is good. Got the first infotainment software update notice to the Accord since I've owned it, so I installed it and the infotainment seems to be running faster. Tried the iPhone again (still had it) and Carplay works now. So fine, I tried using the iPhone this week as my daily driver.

I've noticed the past few days that the text in email can vary a lot in size. If you look at the pic below, the same email is viewed in the iPhone on the left and on my s20 on the right using Aquamail:
Compare.jpg

I changed the text in iOS general settings to the largest size and changed it to "zoom" view as well. While the email list text was really big now (along with other text in general) the email text wasn't touched as you see in the screenshot. This email was unreadable by me and would be a tough read even using my readers. Not all emails came out like this, but many were too small to read without my readers.

After much research it appears that the the iOS general text settings only works with apps that support dynamic text, and email messages that are sent as HTML don't work with this dynamic text setting. There is no in-app setting to view/convert all incoming email to plain text. I tried a couple of other popular email apps and got the same result. I thought Outlook had a fix, but it turns out you need to make the change on the server side if you are using an Exchange server, and this will force *all* emails to show up as plain text which will also be a pain.

I am frankly shocked that this is so hard. In Aquamail I can set the font for all incoming emails to show up the same way, and I can easily change the font size when viewing an email by using my volume buttons. Yes, you can pinch-zoom the emails in iOS to make the font bigger, but then you need to drag it back and forth to read it because the text doesn't reform to stay within the screen. Or turn the phone over landscape to read it that way.

I am done for now with the iPhone experiment. The iPad is a keeper, as are the airpods pro that I bought, but the iPhone is going up for sale on ebay when the pandemic stuff calms down.

One more thing, there is absolutely no oleophobic coating on the LCD display of the regular iPhone. I can clean the screen so it is spot-free and within 30 minutes of use it looks like I sneezed all over it. If I ever go back to iPhone it will have to be the pro - and the max size at that if I have any hopes of being able to see my emails :).

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
One more thing, there is absolutely no oleophobic coating on the LCD display of the regular iPhone. I can clean the screen so it is spot-free and within 30 minutes of use it looks like I sneezed all over it. If I ever go back to iPhone it will have to be the pro - and the max size at that if I have any hopes of being able to see my emails :).

I don't know what it is about iPhones, but their oleophobic coating has been horrible for years. Sure, it's easy to wipe the prints off, but they still gather way too much.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what it is about iPhones, but their oleophobic coating has been horrible for years. Sure, it's easy to wipe the prints off, but they still gather way too much.

I think it is worse on the regular 11 than on the pro versions because of the LCD screens, but I can say it was absolutely disgusting and aggravating. For the same $1,000 the s20 hardware beats the pants off the 11 hardware. I didn't notice the email issues back in November when I first used the phone (had a lot going on in my life back then) but I do remember thinking the screen smudginess sucked big-time from day one with the 11. Oh well, not a problem anymore!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I think it is worse on the regular 11 than on the pro versions because of the LCD screens, but I can say it was absolutely disgusting and aggravating. For the same $1,000 the s20 hardware beats the pants off the 11 hardware. I didn't notice the email issues back in November when I first used the phone (had a lot going on in my life back then) but I do remember thinking the screen smudginess sucked big-time from day one with the 11. Oh well, not a problem anymore!

Prints may not be quite as noticeable on OLED vs LCD b/c of LCD's backlight, but it's bad regardless. I have had all flagship iPhones since the 3g except the 11 Pro, and it's always been bad. Even on my OLED X and XS Max.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
For anyone considering switching to iPhone from Android, or vice versa, here is one reason if you use email a lot on your phone for work purposes.

I was going to switch to iPhone in November to get on the same platform as my kids. Got the regular iPhone 11 but kept my s10 just in case. Within a few weeks the iPhone 11 stopped working with Carplay on my 2018 Accord so I switched back to my s10. The s10 has been somewhat slow, so I got the $600 credit and upgraded to the s20 about 3 weeks ago. Life is good. Got the first infotainment software update notice to the Accord since I've owned it, so I installed it and the infotainment seems to be running faster. Tried the iPhone again (still had it) and Carplay works now. So fine, I tried using the iPhone this week as my daily driver.

I've noticed the past few days that the text in email can vary a lot in size. If you look at the pic below, the same email is viewed in the iPhone on the left and on my s20 on the right using Aquamail:
View attachment 319057

I changed the text in iOS general settings to the largest size and changed it to "zoom" view as well. While the email list text was really big now (along with other text in general) the email text wasn't touched as you see in the screenshot. This email was unreadable by me and would be a tough read even using my readers. Not all emails came out like this, but many were too small to read without my readers.

After much research it appears that the the iOS general text settings only works with apps that support dynamic text, and email messages that are sent as HTML don't work with this dynamic text setting. There is no in-app setting to view/convert all incoming email to plain text. I tried a couple of other popular email apps and got the same result. I thought Outlook had a fix, but it turns out you need to make the change on the server side if you are using an Exchange server, and this will force *all* emails to show up as plain text which will also be a pain.

I am frankly shocked that this is so hard. In Aquamail I can set the font for all incoming emails to show up the same way, and I can easily change the font size when viewing an email by using my volume buttons. Yes, you can pinch-zoom the emails in iOS to make the font bigger, but then you need to drag it back and forth to read it because the text doesn't reform to stay within the screen. Or turn the phone over landscape to read it that way.

I am done for now with the iPhone experiment. The iPad is a keeper, as are the airpods pro that I bought, but the iPhone is going up for sale on ebay when the pandemic stuff calms down.

Your personal opinion is greatly appreciated. Other personal opinions will vary greatly. Let's see who wins in sales. That's the only metric Apple and Samsung are interested in.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Your personal opinion is greatly appreciated. Other personal opinions will vary greatly. Let's see who wins in sales. That's the only metric Apple and Samsung are interested in.

You see..I dont see the point of saying this. Apple nor Samsung are going anywhere. Does it just give people a good feeling if one doesn't sell as well as the other? The only issue I see with the s20 line is the price for some. As far as the user experience..Samsung is now smoother, just as fast and more technologically advanced. Does Samsung ever really sell as well as iPhone? What gets me is that with the the refresh rate and other optimization, its a TOTALLY different experience to prior models, including the S10 line. We now have a phone for Android that is just as fluid AND have the customization we all want and love. The phone just came out a couple of months ago, in the middle of a pandemic. Of course it doesn't sell as well right now. IPhone has had their launch since September of last year!

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I think no matter what, Apple will always win the sales numbers if you compare specific model vs model... iPhone 11 to Samsung S.

I mean this article said they projected 70 million iPhone 11 units sold before end of year with September launch... That's 70 million in FOUR months if I am reading it correctly. That number sounds even crazy for me to believe.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...hone-11-assembly-cutting-iphone-11-max-orders

While I think S10 total sales was in the 40 million range??... for the whole year I believe. So in terms of sales, the S series will not beat the iPhone. The best year Samsung had was around 80 million when they released the S4. I think on another thread, with the Coronavirus definitely having in impact, Samsung raised their estimate sales for S20 this year to 20 million??

Think what's really hurting them is Android competition and their real competitiors. Companies like Xiaomi and Huawei in other markets nibbling a million more every year with their phones. Here in the US non of the carriers will carry them so Samsung will enjoy their dominance here.

Does Samsung ever really sell as well as iPhone? !

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I think no matter what, Apple will always win the sales numbers if you compare specific model vs model... iPhone 11 to Samsung S.

I mean this article said they projected 70 million iPhone 11 units sold before end of year with September launch... That's 70 million in FOUR months if I am reading it correctly. That number sounds even crazy for me to believe.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...hone-11-assembly-cutting-iphone-11-max-orders

While I think S10 total sales was in the 40 million range??... for the whole year I believe. So in terms of sales, the S series will not beat the iPhone. The best year Samsung had was around 80 million when they released the S4. I think on another thread, with the Coronavirus definitely having in impact, Samsung raised their estimate sales for S20 this year to 20 million??

Think what's really hurting them is Android competition and their real competitiors. Companies like Xiaomi and Huawei in other markets nibbling a million more every year with their phones. Here in the US non of the carriers will carry them so Samsung will enjoy their dominance here.

It really bums me out that brands like Sony don't have more of a mobile presence in the US.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Do they make decent phones now a days? Haven't been following them except I'll see a model on display at BB now and then.

Oh man seriously, they use to rule the world before names like Samsung that made the best tech in almost every category... Best screens with Bravia TVs, audio with their walkman/discman, and they know their cameras. You'd think they could make the ultimate phone. Imagine a phone branded with a Bravia panel, SuperBass DAK and EOS tech camera in a sleek Sony designed phone.

Don't know what happened to their Experia series... they just couldn't make a desirable and competitive phone. Phones lacked performance if I remembered, the OS/UI weak I guess, they were crazy expensive I think > $1000 years before everyone else (?) and remembered designs just so big and blocky.

I'm old school back in the Walkman days so I'd love to see them come out with a hit again.

It really bums me out that brands like Sony don't have more of a mobile presence in the US.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Do they make decent phones now a days? Haven't been following them except I'll see a model on display at BB now and then.

Oh man seriously, they use to rule the world before names like Samsung that made the best tech in almost every category... Best screens with Bravia TVs, audio with their walkman/discman, and they know their cameras. You'd think they could make the ultimate phone. Imagine a phone branded with a Bravia panel, SuperBass DAK and EOS tech camera in a sleek Sony designed phone.

Don't know what happened to their Experia series... they just couldn't make a desirable and competitive phone. Phones lacked performance if I remembered, the OS/UI weak I guess, they were crazy expensive I think > $1000 years before everyone else (?) and remembered designs just so big and blocky.

I'm old school back in the Walkman days so I'd love to see them come out with a hit again.

They still make Xperia phones. The newest have 4K Bravia displays, great audio quality, great camera hardware (the camera software not so much), and a clean almost stock UI. They add some audio/video apps and a few aesthetic things here and there, but their phones are top notch, camera software notwithstanding. The past couple have gotten better camera reviews, but I haven't tested them myself. Oh, and they still have a headphone jack. Here's a link to their newest flagship. They also have an Xperia Pro coming out. The prices are still high though unfortunately.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/smartphones/xperia-1m2

The design is also really nice

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 10.10.42 PM.jpg

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That’s a sleek looking phone. Funny the metal frame with flat sides... looks like rumored iPhone 12-ish lol. But nice looking phone. I forgot they used Carl Zeiss lens/tuning... sounds like the marketing combo I wanted. I’ll check out the reviews later thanks.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That’s a sleek looking phone. Funny the metal frame with flat sides... looks like rumored iPhone 12-ish lol. But nice looking phone. I forgot they used Carl Zeiss lens/tuning... sounds like the marketing combo I wanted. I’ll check out the reviews later thanks.

I may bite the bullet on that one. Depends on the Note 20 though.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow watching this video, I hope the Sony can live up to their marketing. Sounds like a great phone and now that Samsung has raised the price bar, the Sony doesn't sound so overpriced as I remembered. 4000 mah battery but I love the slim package. I just noticed in the pic looks like FPS on the side of frame!! I really don't mind that at if as fast or faster than in-glass.

I'm looking forward to the Note 20 but with rumored 7" display, if they don't come out with a Lite version with max specs except smaller dimension/screen and battery I won't be liking a phone bigger and chunkier than the Ultra.

OnePlus 8 Pro looked really promising today excepted that wasted trick camera... but makes waiting what they'll do for the McLaren edition interesting probably around Note 20 time.

And in all honesty with it close to Note 20 release time, I am curious to see what the iPhone 12 Pro will bring to the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=272&v=81Z1dUAz_-A&feature=emb_logo

I may bite the bullet on that one. Depends on the Note 20 though.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You see..I dont see the point of saying this. Apple nor Samsung are going anywhere. Does it just give people a good feeling if one doesn't sell as well as the other? The only issue I see with the s20 line is the price for some. As far as the user experience..Samsung is now smoother, just as fast and more technologically advanced. Does Samsung ever really sell as well as iPhone? What gets me is that with the the refresh rate and other optimization, its a TOTALLY different experience to prior models, including the S10 line. We now have a phone for Android that is just as fluid AND have the customization we all want and love. The phone just came out a couple of months ago, in the middle of a pandemic. Of course it doesn't sell as well right now. IPhone has had their launch since September of last year!

What you said. My post was only for the benefit of someone considering switching (for whatever reason) from iPhone to Samsung. My observations from someone who tried living the Apple life for a few months. Just my opinion, and it is based on the daily user experience. Obviously if someone is super tied into the Apple eco system switching to any Android phone could be impossible: facetime, imessage, etc. To each their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vergoña69