galaxy s21 camera questionS

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
hi! i am looking to replace my LG with an eSIM capable phone. i am currently trying the pixel 6 and the iphone 13 Pro. and i don't really care for either one. they both do too much processing to my pictures. can someone tell me if the samsungs offer 'manual camera' mode? if there is HDR or DRO, can i turn it off? bonus question: is there a 'kimchee' or 'whiskey' shutter option? (that might be a LG thing)

i am only considering the S21. the plus and ultra are too big for me.

thank you!!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
hi! i am looking to replace my LG with an eSIM capable phone. i am currently trying the pixel 6 and the iphone 13 Pro. and i don't really care for either one. they both do too much processing to my pictures. can someone tell me if the samsungs offer 'manual camera' mode? if there is HDR or DRO, can i turn it off? bonus question: is there a 'kimchee' or 'whiskey' shutter option? (that might be a LG thing)

i am only considering the S21. the plus and ultra are too big for me.

thank you!!

Long time Samsung user and photographer.

Samsung heavily processes their jpegs but they have a "pro" mode that allows manual control and RAW capture. This will actually give you an unprocessed RAW and a processed jpeg, helps make it obvious how much Samsung actually tweaks exposure and saturation among other things. Pro mode should offer the same manual controls as LG does.

HDR is set to auto by default when shooting in auto configuration but can be disabled in settings. HDR isn't available in Pro mode.

Those shutter options must be an LG thing, I've got no idea what they are, haven't used an LG since the V20.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Long time Samsung user and photographer.

Samsung heavily processes their jpegs but they have a "pro" mode that allows manual control and RAW capture. This will actually give you an unprocessed RAW and a processed jpeg, helps make it obvious how much Samsung actually tweaks exposure and saturation among other things. Pro mode should offer the same manual controls as LG does.

HDR is set to auto by default when shooting in auto configuration but can be disabled in settings. HDR isn't available in Pro mode.

Those shutter options must be an LG thing, I've got no idea what they are, haven't used an LG since the V20.

thank you for this! i'm a film photographer. so i appreciate the manual controls and the lack of processing on my 2 or 3 year old LG.

'whiskey' or 'kimchee' shutter allowed you to trigger the shutter just by saying 'cheese' or anything that sounded like it. i suppose most people used it to take group shots. but i would use it to take sneaky street photos. it was especially useful in china, where i would often get scolded for raising my phone to take a picture...i would open the camera, hold the phone to my ear and say kimchee a bunch of times like i was on the phone. most of the shots were unusable but occasionally i'd get lucky. it was best used standing next to an interesting looking stranger.

i've thought about shooting RAW on this iphone to circumvent the processing but when i checked the files were 35MB. i'm worried i'll run out of storage fast.

have you ever tried oneplus or xperias? are you generally happy with the S21 camera?

thanks again!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
thank you for this! i'm a film photographer. so i appreciate the manual controls and the lack of processing on my 2 or 3 year old LG.

'whiskey' or 'kimchee' shutter allowed you to trigger the shutter just by saying 'cheese' or anything that sounded like it. i suppose most people used it to take group shots. but i would use it to take sneaky street photos. it was especially useful in china, where i would often get scolded for raising my phone to take a picture...i would open the camera, hold the phone to my ear and say kimchee a bunch of times like i was on the phone. most of the shots were unusable but occasionally i'd get lucky. it was best used standing next to an interesting looking stranger.

i've thought about shooting RAW on this iphone to circumvent the processing but when i checked the files were 35MB. i'm worried i'll run out of storage fast.

have you ever tried oneplus or xperias? are you generally happy with the S21 camera?

thanks again!

Samsung phones you can set it to say cheese or capture and it auto takes the picture if that's what your talking about.

wenglish98

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
hi! i am looking to replace my LG with an eSIM capable phone...

Is eSIM an actual supported, working option yet? I know Samsung advertised it when the phone came out, but I think it requires Android 12 (which you should be able to get if your carrier allows it), and doesn't it also require your carrier to support eSIM?

neilwhite

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Is eSIM an actual supported, working option yet? I know Samsung advertised it when the phone came out, but I think it requires Android 12 (which you should be able to get if your carrier allows it), and doesn't it also require your carrier to support eSIM?
E-sim works on my S21 Ultra on Vodafone in the UK.

Traditional SIM also work normally.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
International, Exynos, S21 Ultra on EE network, U.K.

eSIM works on both Android 11 & 12 but does require support from your carrier.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i think i found a 256GB model on samsung in the US. it is unlocked and allegedly has esim. i am buying it, hoping i can use the esim for international data plans when i travel. if it doesn't work, i guess i'll return it and return to the pixel 6.

neilwhite

May 4, 2015
Visit site
i think i found a 256GB model on samsung in the US. it is unlocked and allegedly has esim. i am buying it, hoping i can use the esim for international data plans when i travel. if it doesn't work, i guess i'll return it and return to the pixel 6.
I believe currently in the UK, you can only have an e-sim with a post paid/contract. I don't think you can have e-sim with a pay as you go number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton