Galaxy S5 dead - won't power on - can I retrieve pics from internal mem? - no SD card

pan_theonjuno

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Had S5 since August or so. The other day, I went home for lunch and plugged it in to charge. It was maybe in the 50s to 60s percent-wise, and after, it was 86%. Went back to work and back to what I was doing with the phone, which was listening to Pandora.

I put in my earphones, started Pandora, and thought all was was well. But I didn't hear any music, so I looked. There was the "play" arrow as if I had stopped it or something. So, I tapped that, but I only heard one of Pandora's commercial/ads, and then it still didn't play. I decided to restart my phone to see if that would "unfreeze" whatever was hanging Pandora.

During the shutdown - right before the screen went dark - I received a text notification but didn't look at the text. The phone appeared to shutdown normally - and otherwise behave normally. However, it didn't restart on its own. So, I tried to power it up myself. Nothing. So, I took the back off, thinking to take out the battery and replace it again. This was the first time I've ever taken the back off. And still nothing.

After work, I took it to the AT&T store, where they tried to power it up normally. Then, they did the power, home key, and up volume method. Nothing. I suggested they try one of their batteries, and that didn't do anything for my phone. Nor did my battery power up theirs. I thought that was weird since my battery was charged up pretty high earlier.

So, they suggested I go to the Best Buy nearby because they had the Samsung Experience thing. They essentially did the same tactics. The guy there said he was going to flash the OS - that usually fixed some problems, he said - but it wouldn't power up, so that was a no go.

The AT&T guy gave me the number to schedule a service where I send in my phone and they give me a replacement. The Best Buy guy told me about 2 nearby Samsung Repair Centers to try. I have yet to do either because I don't want to lose my pictures and videos of my kids and family and stuff. I have been told that probably the techs will do a "hard reset" of my phone, and I'll lose all my data.

I never put in an SD card because the internal storage of the phone was so great that I didn't see the need. If I had done so, then this would be a simple matter of using my computer to get the pics off the card. I regularly upload the pics to my computer, but I hadn't done so in a couple of weeks maybe, and we just had a couple of special occasions that I documented.

I also chatted with a Samsung rep over the phone to basically the same replies and suggested actions.

My phone is under warranty, so there's no charge (they say) for having them look and work on my phone. I have heard some say that I may be able to go to a data retrieval company, but would something like that void my warranty? I am only just back in town, so I haven't been able to go to the Samsung Repair Center yet, so I'm not sure what tools and capabilities they have either. I have my google account on my phone, but I don't use Google Drive, as some do. So, it seems that only my password or contact info may be stored, not pictures.

Anyway, I think this is all the pertinent info...ah, wait. I knew I'd forget something. This is interesting to me. So, after going to AT&T and Best Buy, I came home and swapped batteries with my wife's phone - same one, but white while mine is black. Just like in the AT&T store, my phone wouldn't power on (no indicator lights or anything), and hers wouldn't either. But my battery was almost full, I said to myself. So, I decided to charge her phone with my battery inside. And her phone showed the charging screen, and the battery was dead! I don't know how it went from 86% to nothing. Weird. After charging, it still wouldn't power my phone at all. However, hers did boot. So, I'm not sure where the problem lies. Also, I did try charging my phone, but it wouldn't do anything - no matter whose battery was in it.

So, yeah, I think finally, that's it. Do you know of any way to retrieve my pics and videos or will I just have to accept them being wiped out? Thanks for listening/reading. Sorry so long. I appreciate any help or advice you and your colleagues can give. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Shane

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Man, that sounds frustrating. I'm not sure if a data retrieval company would void the warranty with what they do--did you ask any of the various Samsung people that question? Hopefully they can give you a definitive answer, because if it doesn't void it, then check some of them out. No idea how expensive that might be, though.

pan_theonjuno

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't as of yet. They're in my area, but still a ways away. I'm going to head there today or maybe tomorrow and see what they say. I would think that they'd have the tools to get inside the phone, especially on their own products. But maybe not. We will see. Thanks again.

pan_theonjuno

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, finally got back into town and over to the local Samsung Repair Center (Hurst, TX). Not a whole lot to say that will help anyone probably, but they said my motherboard went out or is bad or however you want to say it. I'm still under warranty, so Samsung is sending out a new one. Well, I'm assuming new, but that's a question that slipped my mind. I wonder if they will just send some refurbished one?

Regarding my original concern about my pictures and videos: no go, they said, because the board was fried. They said maybe google/gmail autosaved them. I thought that only backed up contacts and maybe app data, let's say, not pictures. They mentioned something about Google+, but, while I've heard of it, I've never used it that I'm aware of.

I've since learned that if I had used an SD card, I'd be alright because I could just plug that into my comp and move the files over. But, silly me, I figured these newer phones with all their massive storage...well, who needs a memory card? That's overkill. Besides...what could possibly go wrong with this "super phone"? Anyway, looks like I'll have to rely on my shaky memory to get me by just like the old days. ;)

Well, take it easy, everyone. Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year.

To everyone who happens by here, my advice: don't be like me; don't forget to backup and have some removable (i.e., when-it-inevitably-hits-the-fan-it's-still-accessible) storage, kids!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to do either because I don't want to lose my pictures and videos of my kids and family and stuff. I have been told that probably the techs will do a "hard reset" of my phone, and I'll lose all my data.
They can't if it won't power up. All they'll probably do is replace the motherboard - where the internal storage is, so you'll lose everything, because the parts your pictures are in become reclaimable electronic scrap.

I regularly upload the pics to my computer, but I hadn't done so in a couple of weeks maybe, and we just had a couple of special occasions that I documented.
Any time you add a file you don't want to lose, back it up. The phone could get run over by a truck any time.

I have heard some say that I may be able to go to a data retrieval company, but would something like that void my warranty?
Considering that the phone won't power up, the best they could do is unsolder the ROM chip from the motherboard and solder it into a working motherboard to retrieve what's on it. Would removing a chip from the motherboard void the warranty? Like falling into the ocean will get you wet.

I am only just back in town, so I haven't been able to go to the Samsung Repair Center yet, so I'm not sure what tools and capabilities they have either.
The only "tool" they have if the motherboard is shot is another motherboard. You can't get data from a chip you can't get to power up.

So, I decided to charge her phone with my battery inside. And her phone showed the charging screen, and the battery was dead! I don't know how it went from 86% to nothing. Weird. After charging, it still wouldn't power my phone at all. However, hers did boot. So, I'm not sure where the problem lies.
Just a guess (I don't have the phones and batteries here to test them) but your phone is dead, and kills batteries. Her phone is working, but won't work with your killed battery.

Oh, plan on getting a new battery if they don't include one with the replacement phone. If yours does charge, it's been so badly treated that it's probably not going to last long.

Do you know of any way to retrieve my pics and videos
Not without removing the chip from the motherboard and putting it onto a working motherboard and, if the chip itself wasn't damaged, use that motherboard in your phone. Which Samsung won't do for you, and anyone who will do it will be totally voiding any chance of AT&T, Samsung or Best Buy even working on the phone again.

Edit: If the phone is more than 2 weeks old, you'll get a refurb. That means a phone that's been hand checked by a human being before being shipped. I've run a lot of refurbs into the ground (meaning they get so old that I just won't use them any more, or they can't be used any more [my old StarTac refurb still works - it's about 14 years old - but it has no GPS, so it can't be used any more].)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
They mentioned something about Google+, but, while I've heard of it, I've never used it that I'm aware of.

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1647509?hl=en

I've since learned that if I had used an SD card, I'd be alright because I could just plug that into my comp and move the files over.

This is true to a certain extent. You can usually set the camera to save to the SD card by default, and so if the device suddenly died, the photos would still be on the SD card, and therefore easily transferred to your computer. The catch here is that SD cards can fail or become corrupt--the latter seems to happen a bit more frequently on Samsung devices. Your best bet is to use Google+ Auto Backup.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
lesson learned the hard way.

always have a backup,

did I say a backup? yep, always have a backup.

I keep at least 3 of them in different ways.
google+ (here, only contact list)
SuperBackup to local SD card (everything)
SuperBackup via email to me
Kies 3.0 at random times a few months apart (every thing except pictures and messages)

there are backup tools out there, some like Helium, I don't, it is non-intuitive and a PITA to make work.

I never root a phone, so tools that require root aren't eligible to use.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
lesson learned the hard way.

always have a backup,

did I say a backup? yep, always have a backup.

I keep at least 3 of them in different ways.
google+ (here, only contact list)
SuperBackup to local SD card (everything)
SuperBackup via email to me
Kies 3.0 at random times a few months apart (every thing except pictures and messages)
I don't consider the SD card to be a backup - it's what I'm backing up. (It can fail.) I back up to my local 2TB drive, Dropbox and Google Drive. (Paraniod? Us? There's no such thing as too many backups.)

there are backup tools out there, some like Helium, I don't, it is non-intuitive and a PITA to make work.
Just one file on the PC and the cable to connect to it. The only reason I don't use it to back up all my apps (I back up a few that I always need the data from, for medical reasons) is that I prefer apk files for backups. But my app data is always backed up on Helium. (I root, so I don't need a PC connection.)

And in case anyone missed it, always have a backup or three.

pan_theonjuno

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the link. It'll help me out quite a bit, I think.

The catch here is that SD cards can fail or become corrupt--the latter seems to happen a bit more frequently on Samsung devices.

It's funny, just today, we were talking and someone threw out that the SD card may go bad. I've never had that happen to me, but then again, I've never had my phone go completely belly-up before either. So, I think the real lesson I may be learning is that whatever level of caution and preparedness I may have thought I had isn't really adequate when stacked up against the myriad nuances of Murphy's Law. :) Time to be a better Boy Scout which should be easy since I've never been in the Scouts.

At any rate, thanks again!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't consider the SD card to be a backup - it's what I'm backing up. (It can fail.) I back up to my local 2TB drive, Dropbox and Google Drive. (Paraniod? Us? There's no such thing as too many backups.)

Just one file on the PC and the cable to connect to it. The only reason I don't use it to back up all my apps (I back up a few that I always need the data from, for medical reasons) is that I prefer apk files for backups. But my app data is always backed up on Helium. (I root, so I don't need a PC connection.)

And in case anyone missed it, always have a backup or three.

You and me both.

the Medical stuff is stored in EVERNOTE and that is backed up on all of my devices including the Cloud.

The SD card is backup #1
SuperBackup via email is #2
My PC via a USB cable is #3 which backs up the entire SD card to a sync'd USB hard drive on the PC.

oh, did anyone notice..... Make a Backup...... at least 3 of them in different places.