Galaxy s5 from iPhone 5 Group Texting ** NEED HELP **

Michael Raymond2

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I've had an iPhone since the beginning of the franchise and recently I decided to switch to a Droid device with the purpose of learning the insides and outs. Since I had ATT and I was stuck in a contract with my iPhone I purchased a Samsung Galaxy s5 through Verizon and put my ATT sim card inside using an adapter. When I turned on the phone I noticed my data wasnt working so I went to the ATT website and found the correct APN settings (Programming non-AT&T devices with the correct APN and MMS data settings- AT&T Wireless Support) which corrected that issue. After, I discovered I wasn't receiving any text messages from iPhone users (literately everyone I text on a normal basis) so before I did research I did a factory reset on my iPhone 5. Come to find out I should have manually turned off iMessage before I did that so I contacted Apple and had them disable the iMessage service for my number. After a short period of time I started receiving text messages from individuals but group chats still don't function properly. Some group messages come through fine, some wont come through the group conversation but instead will come as individual texts, and some simply wont come through at all. I did a factory reset on my Galaxy but that didn't seem to correct the issue.

This is beyond frustrating. I have spent countless hours just trying to make this phone as operational as the iPhone.

Vital Information:
The only group chatting I have tried includes all iPhone users, besides myself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is unfortunately a problem with iMessage (not with Android). It's always best to completely shut off iMessage well before you transition to an Android device. I have read posts where people continued to have problems like this, even after removing the phone number from the iMessage servers. It might take a little while for the change to completely take effect.

Do you have any other iOS devices? Make sure you shut off iMessage on those devices as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Go to its settings and disable iMessage there. It also wouldn't hurt to call Apple support back and see if there is anything else they can check.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Also make sure your group is starting a new group chat and not continuing an old one (from their end). On their end it might still think you have an iphone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you called Apple Support back? They'll probably say they've already removed your number from their servers, but see if they have any other suggestions.

Anthony Pellerito

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
If you've had group chat problems have the iPhone users in the group chat delete their group chat thread and start a new one. It worked for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

joallen001

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I have tried all the apps for texting. I alway get responses.from iPhone users but it goes to an individual text instead of staying in the group. I have chatted with Samsung They said that it how it works with s5. There reply is always gonna be individual text. Looks like I am switching back to iPhone.