Galaxy S6 flexible PCB (FPCB) Antenna vs Galaxy S7 Qualcomm TruSignal Tech

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Okay.

So from day one with my S6 I had major issues whenever I dropped to a 4G network, whether I had full bars or not. I would get drastically slow to no connection. Delayed texts and missed calls that go right to Voicemail. After researching this, I found that because the S6 used the glass back and the aluminum frame they switched from Laser Direct Structuring (LDS) antenna type to flexible PCB (FPCB). I jumped through hoops with my provider, got a new sim card, sent in my phone for repair, and they finally swapped me out with a new S6. Problem still existed. I was lied to by many agents, and finally I spoke to a level 2 tech the other day who actually took the time to listen to me, my research and finally ended up agreeing with me that the new antenna, based on areas that had less than great coverage was causing my issue.
At this point he is sending all the documentation out to the loyalty department and I am pushing for a new phone at this point, I was researching the S7, but not being an expert in Antenna technology. I wanted some advice. From what I have read it appears that Samsung has smartened up, never admitting the S6 tech was CRAP. But still changing it up. So from what I have found, the S7 is incorporating both Qualcomm TruSignal Antenna Boost and TruSignal Multi-Antenna Boost technologies. Which apparently area engineered to compensate for signal impediments by using more than one antenna.

So my question. Has the actual ANTENNA changed from the S6 to the S7 or have they simply used the same antenna, added 2 of them and added the above technology to make it work better?

Any advice, answers, explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks!
MHInc

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe 255 views and no one has any input :( Mind you I understand the S7 is very new so it's not info that is really out there. I was hoping someone that knows about Antenna tech period may reply

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
I've had signal problems with the multiple S6 Edge's. Rarely would I have consistent 4G signal indoors or even outdoors. And what's worse is my carrier is Verizon Wireless and I live in the same town where they're headquartered (literarily 5 minutes away..), so I considered it a pretty pressing issue. You'd imagine that I'd have flawless signal with the headquarters next door, but that was far from the case. Which led me to believe this was a big hardware issue with the S6 and S6 edge.

I never did get a solution for the s6 edge, but upgrading to the edge+ seemed to address it. So I'm assuming this signal will be resolved this time around with the s7. Or at least we can hope. :)

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I battled with S6 antenna/reception issues for a long time with calls going straight to voice mail, and there's no doubt in my mind that reception is much worse than my HTC M7 on the same provider.

As for the S7, you're going to have to wait until enough people have used it over a few months to get an accurate picture of the phones reception strength.

If you need a replacement for your S6 right now, choose a different device that has proven quality cell reception.

dreaming of electric sheep

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
What scares me, is I don't think ALL of the S7s will have the new tech I spoke about above. After reading a bit more I found that it's quite possible only the Snapdragon 820 + X12 powered models will have, the versions of the S7 that utilize the Samsung Exynos SoC are using a non-Qualcomm modem, so I doubt they would have the tech :( And I am guessing in Canada I will get the Exynos SoC.

Update:

Just bursted my happy bubble :(
Samsung confirms Canadian carriers will sell Exynos 8890-equipped Galaxy S7 | MobileSyrup.com

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
What scares me, is I don't think ALL of the S7s will have the new tech I spoke about above. After reading a bit more I found that it's quite possible only the Snapdragon 820 + X12 powered models will have, the versions of the S7 that utilize the Samsung Exynos SoC are using a non-Qualcomm modem, so I doubt they would have the tech :( And I am guessing in Canada I will get the Exynos SoC.

Update:

Just bursted my happy bubble :(
Samsung confirms Canadian carriers will sell Exynos 8890-equipped Galaxy S7 | MobileSyrup.com

Like I said, my signal issues were fixed in the edge+ and that was still Exynos. They definitely addressed something when they moved from s6/edge to s6e+ and note 5 whether it be a design or technical issue.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the S6 Active that is obviously a different body & there were no signal issues with it compared to anything else.

Am subscribing to the thread though. If reception improves just a slight bit on the S7, I can ditch a $40 a month Vonage bill.

mike ste

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Im in the uk on o2. Ive had an s6 and s6 edge both with terrible signal. The first 2 months my calls just dropped until they updated the baseband that stopped the dropped calls still a weak signal though i hear it echoing sometimes like its trying to cut off the call. ive just put up with it hoping the next phone is better if not im sending it back. I've ordered the s7 edge. Literally the first thing im doing is comparing the signal the day it arrives on the 8th. Il update this post.also it looks like its the exynos version in the uk.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Im in the uk on o2. Ive had an s6 and s6 edge both with terrible signal. The first 2 months my calls just dropped until they updated the baseband that stopped the dropped calls still a weak signal though i hear it echoing sometimes like its trying to cut off the call. ive just put up with it hoping the next phone is better if not im sending it back. I've ordered the s7 edge. Literally the first thing im doing is comparing the signal the day it arrives on the 8th. Il update this post.also it looks like its the exynos version in the uk.

Hey Mike! I would like to hear how that goes for you! Since in Canada I will be getting the Exynos version as well, please let me and us know!

Thanks!

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I moved away from samsung after the fascinate and galaxy nexus both proved to have horrible reception.. I assumed by samsung selling as many phones as it has in the mean time that they had gotten their reception straightened out.. if my 2 s7's show up and have poor reception I can care less about ANY other feature they are going back.

not sure how anyone had a terrible time with an s6 and is ready to throw more money at samsung.. pretty upset to read about these poor reception issues.. my current droid turbo has flawless reception basically 24/7, and so does my wife's moto x. the phone's ability to stay connected and be usable whenever needed is my most important feature.

mike ste

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi MHInc.
Yes il update this post as soon as i come to my opinion whether the signals improved or not. Also philly i have always had samsung phones and this s6 has been the first one with bad signal i only put up with it because it dosent loose signal anymore its just weak and sometimes struggles to get stable internet if not in a city. they have got one last chance to hopefully get it right otherwise i dont know what i will do there isnt realy any other brand that interests me enough to purchase i will see what happens with the s7 edge otherwise il try the sony z5 premium maybe.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi MHInc.
Yes il update this post as soon as i come to my opinion whether the signals improved or not. Also philly i have always had samsung phones and this s6 has been the first one with bad signal i only put up with it because it dosent loose signal anymore its just weak and sometimes struggles to get stable internet if not in a city. they have got one last chance to hopefully get it right otherwise i dont know what i will do there isnt realy any other brand that interests me enough to purchase i will see what happens with the s7 edge otherwise il try the sony z5 premium maybe.

Thanks for this. If you can test the dBm score for S6 and S7 side by side on same carrier in a troublesome area, that would give a good indication.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The LG V10 has Trusignal using the Qualcomm X10 modem. Check reviews for the V10 and you may get an idea.

Don't expect anything magical. Trusignal is likely 80% marketing and 20% technology.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I moved away from samsung after the fascinate and galaxy nexus both proved to have horrible reception.. I assumed by samsung selling as many phones as it has in the mean time that they had gotten their reception straightened out.. if my 2 s7's show up and have poor reception I can care less about ANY other feature they are going back.

not sure how anyone had a terrible time with an s6 and is ready to throw more money at samsung.. pretty upset to read about these poor reception issues.. my current droid turbo has flawless reception basically 24/7, and so does my wife's moto x. the phone's ability to stay connected and be usable whenever needed is my most important feature.

Yeah, Galaxy Nexus had notoriously bad cell signal and I was one of its victim. But since you moved away from Samsung, they got progressively better on reception with S3, S4, S5. My current S5 has very good reception on both cell and WiFi and I'm confident against even any Motorola device with it (it's better than Droid HD maxx I had). My friend's Note 5 has good reception too. I can't speak for S6 myself since I never had it. My understanding is they had to redesign the antenna structure due to metal/glass unibody and this caused some issues with European carriers mostly. I am somewhat optimistic that S7 has good reception too since they seem to have addressed pretty much every major weakness of S6 in S7 based on feedback.

mike ste

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
OK I've got my exynos s7 edge upto now I can't say its realy improved over the s6 signal wise maybe the phones don't like my network (o2) il keep an eye over the next few days it's early days. It dropped down to gprs when I was on the phone just 20 mins I could hear the signal going weaker as usual as it did on my s6. I'm wondering if it would be better with a Voice over Lte network. It's just a shame it's a nice phone I don't realy like other branded phones but why should I have to put up with weak ish signal. I'll update again soon and see if I can put screenshots of the DBm and asu I'm getting

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
OK I've got my exynos s7 edge upto now I can't say its realy improved over the s6 signal wise maybe the phones don't like my network (o2) il keep an eye over the next few days it's early days. It dropped down to gprs when I was on the phone just 20 mins I could hear the signal going weaker as usual as it did on my s6. I'm wondering if it would be better with a Voice over Lte network. It's just a shame it's a nice phone I don't realy like other branded phones but why should I have to put up with weak ish signal. I'll update again soon and see if I can put screenshots of the DBm and asu I'm getting

I have seen several reports that the antenna issues are still present on the S7 just like the S6.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rj3005