Galaxy s7 won't turn on mobile hotspot

A

AC Question

Introduction:
I have a carrier free s7 edge (SM-G935U, android 6.0.1) and have loved the tethering feature. I especially use it while traveling to share the hotel Wi-Fi to other devices. For example, my phone registers on the hotel Wi-Fi and then shares the internet using the hotspot feature to my kindle. I have had no problems whatsoever until today.

Symptoms:
When I attempt to turn on tethering using settings-> hotspot and tethering, it receives my selection, "thinks" about it, and then reverts to it being turned off. Sometimes it briefly has the hotspot notification appear.

Attempted fixes:
Disabled/enabled wifi, mobile data, airplane mode, smart view (though no tv's were available to cast). Restarted phone multiple times, including safe mode. Deleted system cache. Reset APN settings.

Theory:
The problem did arise shortly after trying to turn on smart view (the tv it turns it was a "dumb" tv, so it didn't work). I'm wondering if somehow smart view set a flag that interferes with mobile hotspot (since they are mutually exclusive features). This might not be the case because I haven't had troubles in various situations where I've used smart view before.

Any tips on how I can get this to work? I hate logging into the internet on multiple devices every time I switch hotels! Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech