Galaxy S8 Headphone Jack?

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
It is ironic, last year i made the change from Apple to my first android phone (the note 7) and one of the reasons was that apple removed the headphone jack.

The ironic part, i loved the wireless charging dock that i bought for my van so much that i also bout a blue-tooth adapter for the van so that it could be a complete wireless experience. So the one reason i had to keep the headphone jack is now gone.

All that being said, yes i hope they keep it as well.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Every leak has showed it with a headphone jack so I'm pretty confident it will have one. I personally don't care though, I never use wired headphones. I'm not really a fan.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
There was a stage last year when i was sure the S8 and S8+ was going to leave out the headphone jack. I'm so glad to see many 'leaked' photos lately which show a headphone jack. I know its a 'legacy' port but it's really useful to me. :)

I think if Samsung left it out, in addition to Apple doing it, most OEMs would follow in the next 2 years. Samsung have a lot of pull when it comes to ports. Long live the Headphone jack :D haha

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They know fans love the headphone jack. They can do what LG did and add a quad DAC to improve the audio experience. There's no benefit of removing the headphone jack (unless they want to be like Apple and be "innovative" and "brave").

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There was a stage last year when i was sure the S8 and S8+ was going to leave out the headphone jack. I'm so glad to see many 'leaked' photos lately which show a headphone jack. I know its a 'legacy' port but it's really useful to me. :)

I think if Samsung left it out, in addition to Apple doing it, most OEMs would follow in the next 2 years. Samsung have a lot of pull when it comes to ports. Long live the Headphone jack :D haha

You probably haven't heard what the LG V20 sounds like through the headphone jack. It's definitely next gen, and actually sounds better than my laptop audio. And on the upcoming LG G6, they're upgrading that technology. LG really cares and is heading in the right direction. Apple users are a slave to Apple now that they are forced to use wireless headphones. You should go into a store and try out the V20 headphone jack!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You probably haven't heard what the LG V20 sounds like through the headphone jack. It's definitely next gen, and actually sounds better than my laptop audio. And on the upcoming LG G6, they're upgrading that technology. LG really cares and is heading in the right direction. Apple users are a slave to Apple now that they are forced to use wireless headphones. You should go into a store and try out the V20 headphone jack!

I agree.... Samsung should jump on the DAC wagon.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't see that happening, they're probably deciding when it'll be OK for them to get rid of the jack, not looking for ways to make it better lol.
While I realize not everyone cares about hi fidelity it just makes sense to offer it since so many people use their phones as a music player.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
While I realize not everyone cares about hi fidelity it just makes sense to offer it since so many people use their phones as a music player.

It doesn't really make sense. It costs more and nobody knows what they're missing until they experience it and most will never experience it. If you can continue to sell devices without adding in something that costs extra, why would you do it? They're not gonna gain enough extra sales from putting a better DAC in their devices and in reality, they'll probably get rid of the headphone jack next year unless Apple brings it back. Their competition is Apple so they can easily say, hey look, we have a headphone jack but those guys don't. LG puts this in their devices and look at their sales and bottom line? Consumers don't care about high quality audio, most probably use crappy headphones as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't really make sense. It costs more and nobody knows what they're missing until they experience it and most will never experience it. If you can continue to sell devices without adding in something that costs extra, why would you do it? They're not gonna gain enough extra sales from putting a better DAC in their devices and in reality, they'll probably get rid of the headphone jack next year unless Apple brings it back. Their competition is Apple so they can easily say, hey look, we have a headphone jack but those guys don't. LG puts this in their devices and look at their sales and bottom line? Consumers don't care about high quality audio, most probably use crappy headphones as well.

While I hear what you are I still think its a great idea that gives them an extra edge... No pun intended. There is a high end consumer that prefers Samsung and is carrying around a portable DAC.
As far as losing the jack.... No one has actually lost the jack, they use the charging port. As far as LG sales it does help them.... They just don't have a great market share.
There are also others out there with a high res DAC.
Dual cameras are also gaining ground.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
While I hear what you are I still think its a great idea that gives them an extra edge... No pun intended. There is a high end consumer that prefers Samsung and is carrying around a portable DAC.
As far as losing the jack.... No one has actually lost the jack, they use the charging port. As far as LG sales it does help them.... They just don't have a great market share.
There are also others out there with a high res DAC.
Dual cameras are also gaining ground.

I respectfully disagree. And right, they don't have a good market share meaning that the majority of people couldn't care less about a DAC. The people who are going to carry around a portable DAC will continue to do so and if they already have a Samsung phone then Samsung already has their business. You don't have big groups of people out there saying I'm not buying a Samsung phone because the DAC isn't high quality. Adding a better DAC will add more to the cost of device than it will bring in new users so it makes no financial sense for them to do so. Would it be cool? Yeah, but Samsung is trying to make money. Something LG can't do, nor many other Android manufacturers for that matter.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. And right, they don't have a good market share meaning that the majority of people couldn't care less about a DAC. The people who are going to carry around a portable DAC will continue to do so and if they already have a Samsung phone then Samsung already has their business. You don't have big groups of people out there saying I'm not buying a Samsung phone because the DAC isn't high quality. Adding a better DAC will add more to the cost of device than it will bring in new users so it makes no financial sense for them to do so. Would it be cool? Yeah, but Samsung is trying to make money. Something LG can't do, nor many other Android manufacturers for that matter.
LGs low market share can only improve because of the DAC. But my post is about the Samsung.

I don't think it adds that much to the cost. The only detriment I can see and you haven't mentioned is that DACs can suck up a battery... so for Samsung maybe that reason alone is enough to avoid going that route.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
LGs low market share can only improve because of the DAC. But my post is about the Samsung.

I don't think it adds that much to the cost. The only detriment I can see and you haven't mentioned is that DACs can suck up a battery... so for Samsung maybe that reason alone is enough to avoid going that route.
When you sell millions of units any unnecessary cost adds up. Samsung is in the business of making phones to make money. I keep mentioning LG because they use high quality DACs and they can't make a profit. So my point is, consumers do not care about DACs. Samsung realizes this so I doubt we will see it UNLESS Apple includes one and touts it as a major feature.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When you sell millions of units any unnecessary cost adds up. Samsung is in the business of making phones to make money. I keep mentioning LG because they use high quality DACs and they can't make a profit. So my point is, consumers do not care about DACs. Samsung realizes this so I doubt we will see it UNLESS Apple includes one and touts it as a major feature.
Putting the DAC aside, I would rather see Samsung put out something ground breaking as opposed to following Apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterrekroesbergen