Galaxy Tab, Xoom, or G-Slate?

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So, I REALLY want an Android based tablet. And I really love the Xoom right now, but, am wondering if I should stick it out for some of the other manufacturers to put their spin on it. I really like the Galaxy 10 inch. But the G-slate looks pretty sweet also. I would like to see how other companies can compete with the Xoom. And who knows, once the others are released, they will all be competeing with each other to dominate the Android tab scene. So chances are they will be competitevly priced too! What do you think I should do? They all pretty much have the same specs. I mean, they all have 1Ghz dual cores, 1GB ram, and screen size. I don't really think I would use the 3-D function though. Because, I'll be damned if I get an iPad. I don't have anything against Apple, just like Android better.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Toshiba has a nice 3.0tablet coming out soon. has some stuff xoom doesn't offer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I saw that. I should include that one in the debate too. You think when they all come out, they will get a little cheaper for competition reasons?

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm split. I like the look and the rubber backing (among other things) of the toshiba, but I'm worried it will get left out in the cold development wise. The LG is the perfect size, but I'm worried about the cost of the 3D feature that I won't use. The XOOM has a few hardware choices I don't like (such as the power/volume buttons, headphone jack placement, etc. The Galaxy Tab has no HDMI/USB ports.

Right now, I think I'd go Toshiba or LG, depending on price.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Toshiba said its gong to compete price wise with ipad2 and days it will be better
Yeah I saw that. I should include that one in the debate too. You think when they all come out, they will get a little cheaper for competition reasons?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TeeJayEss

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
After looking around a bit, I definitely think i'm going to be getting this come june... it seems like it's not going to be outdated TOO fast and has everything I'd want right now on it.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I REALLY want an Android based tablet. And I really love the Xoom right now, but, am wondering if I should stick it out for some of the other manufacturers to put their spin on it. I really like the Galaxy 10 inch. But the G-slate looks pretty sweet also. I would like to see how other companies can compete with the Xoom. And who knows, once the others are released, they will all be competeing with each other to dominate the Android tab scene. So chances are they will be competitevly priced too! What do you think I should do? They all pretty much have the same specs. I mean, they all have 1Ghz dual cores, 1GB ram, and screen size. I don't really think I would use the 3-D function though. Because, I'll be damned if I get an iPad. I don't have anything against Apple, just like Android better.
If I were in your situation, I would go ahead and wait and see what else competes with the Xoom. I have the Xoom and while I think it's a really nice tablet, the screen leaves me wanting. You can always get the Xoom later if it ends up besting the others in most areas. Or you can go ahead and get the Xoom now and get another brand in a couple months. That's what I'm going to do.:) But if I could only afford one this year I would wait and compare the tablets that are on the way.

The one thing I *think* the Xoom will have over the others is build quality. I'm afraid other tablet manufacturers are going to go cheaper to compete with the iPad. everybody freaked about the price of the Xoom and I think that has made some manufacturers skittish about price...but that will also affect quality at the end of the day. Something has to give and build quality is always the first to go when prices get lowered. That's why I went ahead and grabbed a Xoom...I'm a sucker for nice build and the Xoom does not disappoint in that area, imo.

Last edited:

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If I were in your situation, I would go ahead and wait and see what else competes with the Xoom. I have the Xoom and while I think it's a really nice tablet, the screen leaves me wanting. You can always get the Xoom later if it ends up besting the others in most areas. Or you can go ahead and get the Xoom now and get another brand in a couple months. That's what I'm going to do.:) But if I could only afford one this year I would wait and compare the tablets that are on the way.

The one thing I *think* the Xoom will have over the others is build quality. I'm afraid other tablet manufacturers are going to go cheaper to compete with the iPad. everybody freaked about the price of the Xoom and I think that has made some manufacturers skittish about price...but that will also affect quality at the end of the day. Something has to give and build quality is always the first to go when prices get lowered. That's why I went ahead and grabbed a Xoom...I'm a sucker for nice build and the Xoom does not disappoint in that

I think that the galaxy tab has a higher build quality than the xoom.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I think that the galaxy tab has a higher build quality than the xoom.
in the end it's just personal opinions. I personally thought the Galaxy Tab felt very cheap when I picked it up so I put it right back down. :)

This IGN piece pretty much summed it up for me :

"The cheap plastic casing on the Galaxy Tab, and Samsung's whole Galaxy line for that matter, needs to go. We're all for keeping things lightweight, but if you're going to charge several hundred dollars for a smartphone or tablet, it better look and feel like the real deal; instead, the Galaxy Tab looks and feels cheap, disposable even. If Samsung wants to win our hearts, they need to ditch the plastic. Not only does the shell feel cheap in your hands, it doesn't hold up -- it gets beat up and scuffed easily. "

Improving the Samsung Galaxy Tab - Gear Feature at IGN

Like I said tho in the end it's all personal opinion. I just cannot stand that much plastic on a tablet.

If by chance you are referring to the new Galaxy Tab 10.1, I hope you are right but fear you are wrong. I guess we will see. :)

brick-breaker-berry

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Based on impressions from the Galaxy Tabs given at Google IO the new Galaxy Tab feels like a superior device. With a cheaper price this is a compelling reason to prefer this over the Xoom.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm returning my XOOM to Costco on May 24th in anticipation of getting the Galaxy 10.1. I really hope it'll be on a carrier when it releases, preferably Verizon LTE.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Based on impressions from the Galaxy Tabs given at Google IO the new Galaxy Tab feels like a superior device. With a cheaper price this is a compelling reason to prefer this over the Xoom.

I have the Xoom and the Google I/O Tab. The Xoom feels like a chunk of lead next to the Galaxy Tab 10.1. There is no doubt in my mind the Xoom is going to be end of life due to price and un-sexiness compared to this thing. The Tab is thin, but not razor thin in your hand. The speakers on the Tab actually work and don't sound like they're going to pop to death. The back on the I/O one is obviously different than any shipping models (at least with the little Androids on it) so I can't say if the retail version will have the nice grippy feeling this one has.

STEMALO

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
my choice of tablets came down to one thing...build quality.
All the tablets will have the same inwards except for the one or two external ports being different.
The iPad has a solid feel, the XOOM has a sold feel, the ASUS and ACER more on the plastic side and the Galaxy Tab (haven't touched it).
I am satisfied with the XOOM and being the industry that we are in it seems that the tablet users will be upgrading one every year or so. so next year come around christmas i will get a new sextuple core tablet with a holographic screen that plugs directly into my brain...hehe

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Officially returning my XOOM to Costco today in anticipation of the Tab 10.1. Hoping those 4G LTE rumors are true!

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Xoom has a higher build quality than any other tablet. It's thickness and chunkiness is the reason for higher quality. Making a slim tablet requires giving up quality, and Galaxy Tab will be of no exception. Also, it seems that Xoom will be preferred device of Google. The entire I/O was done with Xoom, even though Galaxy Tab was ready to do that too. To me, it seems that Xoom will always be the first to receive updates. I mean look at it now, Iconia and Transformer are still without an update.

It all comes down to choice, and Xoom is my choice. This thing never disappointed me.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Xoom has a higher build quality than any other tablet. It's thickness and chunkiness is the reason for higher quality. Making a slim tablet requires giving up quality, and Galaxy Tab will be of no exception. Also, it seems that Xoom will be preferred device of Google. The entire I/O was done with Xoom, even though Galaxy Tab was ready to do that too. To me, it seems that Xoom will always be the first to receive updates. I mean look at it now, Iconia and Transformer are still without an update.

It all comes down to choice, and Xoom is my choice. This thing never disappointed me.

That it's a false statement. Samsung has an outstanding reputation for build quality! And other platforms such as Apple who's build quality has rarely suffered from "thinness". Perhaps Motorola didn't want to invest the engineering dollars into that the first time around? That's obviously speculation